Best Australian Cricketer never to play a Test?

Caesar

Best Australian Cricketer never to play a Test?

Tough one. Some options that spring to mind:

Wayne Holdsworth
Jamie Siddons
Michael Di Venuto
Darren Berry

Ian Brayshaw is probably my pick, from the players I know. Sensational WA seamer in the 60s and 70s, averaged just 25 and once took 10/44 in an innings against Victoria in a Shield match.

I'm sure there's quite a few more out there - particularly pre-war players. I'm sure there's a few talented ones who gave the game away for careers, when it was an amateur and semi-professional game.

Re: Best Australian Cricketer never to play a Test?

I guess you could say Jamie Cox was unlucky not to get a sniff of international recognition.

My old man reckons this bloke was good.
His son Glenn however struggled at the top.

Sam Trimble
Born: 16th August 1934, Lismore, New South Wales, Australia
Batting: Right-hand batsman
Relations: Son: GS Trimble
Teams: Queensland (Main FC: 1959/60-1975/76); Queensland (Main ListA: 1969/70-1975/76);
First-Class Career Batting and Fielding (1959/60-1975/76)

Matches 144
Innings 262
NO 16
Runs 10282
HS 252*
Ave 41.79
100's 26
50's 48
Catches 86

Definitely Jamie Cox; Brayshaw would be a close second. Pepper and Trimble were capable but not really in the league of the first two.
a bit of a smokey might have been Ric Charlesworth; pretty handy opener and something of a perfectionist he was lost to Hockey mainly because he kept getting overlooked for a Test place.

If we are strictly saying 'a test'.

I always reckoned Bing's big bro Shane wasn't a half bad all-rounder, would of been especially handy on a juiced-up deck with a bit of swing.

Adam Dale - I saw him swing a game with his swing bowling on a wicket that helped him in South Africa.

Jamie Siddons he scored tons of runs in Sheffield Shield but only played an ODI. I did not see him play but he broke all kinds of records.

Back