Best Technique Of Throwing

Anand Datar

Hello all!
I have the problem of 'pinched nerve' and thus, feel very acute stinging pain in my arm if I throw the cricket ball from deep sometimes and that makes the hand week. I can use the hand again in half an hour again, but then for that day at least, I cannot throw or bowl. Apart from that I have never got a chance to learn what is a proper technique to throw the ball. Can anyone please help me by explaining some of the best known techniques? I am not too young, crossed 33 last month and have not played Cricket very consistantly over the past. Never the less, I am still looking forward to playing as long as I can and enjoy the game as much as I can. Thank you!

Which nerve and where in the arm? Does the pain radiate?

There really is only one technique for throwing but you ought to sort the arm issue out before you think about throwing!

Are you 'slight' in your build?

Listen to Liz mate, she's the real deal on this stuff, once ir's better have a look at this, I think this is the only thing around for throwing -

If you can't see this search on youtube - paul collingwood throwing

Thanks Liz for your concern and help.
It is with my right hand. In 2008 while playing in a game I was fielding at long on and had to throw many balls for a few overs from boundary. One particular throw I felt a thrust and as if I have thrown my hand off my shoulder and my hand went numb. I could not do anything by that hand for quite some time. There was acute pain and sting from shoulder down and reached till below the elbow. I could not even close my fist. Then it slowly returned back to normal with some tiredness in the arm. Since then, whenever I tried to throw hard from a distance, the same thing used to repeat and my hand used to go numb, I could not move it much and then it would come back to normal in a couple of days. I did not play cricket in 2009-10 as I was away. Then I started again in 2011. But being aware of the problem, I now throw with caution and try to exert less force from shoulder. But I do not know how to use the wrist and elbow the best while throwing, and am always afraid that I will hurt my shoulder and trigger that pain. It is difficult to bowl after that happens. But otherwise I can bowl with no problem and it does not triger that pain. I was told by Doctor as well as a Physio that a nerve gets pinched by my first rib when I try to throw and some massaging and an excersize of rorating arm in a particular way can do a bit good to it. But a surgery only can solve the problem. It is certainly not possible for me to go for the surgery. As now a days I throw with caution, I have not experienced it happening that often, but it obviously restricts me in force and acuracy while throwing and the fear is always there in my mind whenever I am throwing. I hope I have explained it good enough for you to understand. At 33 I am not looking forward to competitive Cricket, but I really want to enjoy playing to the whatever best level I can...

I've had RC issues through over-bowling. I had a situation where I could hardly lift my arm, especially in the mornings. In the end I had to stop bowling for a month or two and rest the RC. Since then I've exercised all year doing press ups and rotational press ups whenever I can during the day 10-13 each time several times throughout the day. Some days I only do a few others in excess of over 100. When fielding I only ever throw over arm if necessary and whenever I can I'll roll the ball in under-arm.

Back