Bombay bug?

teddy

Bombay bug?

England opener Marcus Trescothick revealed exclusively to Sky Sports News the reason behind his early departure from the tour of India.

Trescothick picked up a virus during the early stage of the tour in Mumbai which had such a debilitating effect on both his physical and mental fitness that he chose to come home prior to the start of the three-Test series.

He told Sky Sports News:

“The main reason (for coming home) was I picked up a bug while I was out there in Bombay (Mumbai).

“It really hit me hard, I wasn't sleeping and I couldn't shake it off. I couldn't eat, I wasn't drinking.

“It got to the point where I had to say I'm pretty fatigued here and I'm struggling to concentrate on my cricket leading up to a big Test match.

“So I spoke to the people I needed to and decided it was the right thing to do to come home.

“When I finally made the decision, I spoke to Duncan (Fletcher) and he was thoroughly supportive of what I wanted to do. They (the England hierarchy) accepted it and supported me all the way through.”

The 30-year-old has played 69 Tests and 114 ODIs since his international debut in 2000, and admits the hectic schedule had taken its toll.

But he is already back in training with a renewed enthusiasm for the start of the new county season, and is hopeful of earning selection for the first Test against Sri Lanka, which starts at Lord's on May 11.

“My main priority is to get back in the nets, work hard, play well for Somerset at the start of the year and then it's up to other people to decide whether I'm back in the team,” he added.

“The virus is a funny one. It's stuck with me for such a long time and even up to probably three weeks ago I was getting relapses.

“But I think having this time to rest and recharge my batteries made me realise again why I love playing the game and added to my enthusiasm.”

Trescothick also reaffirmed his commitment to the England cause and assured the selectors that he will be available to tour again in the future.

”I am prepared to tour again,” he continued. “This was an ideal opportunity just for me to have a rest. I've played six years of non-stop cricket for England travelling around the world.

“We spend 300 nights a year out of our own houses. There are times when you do need a rest.”

Back