Boucher's Eventuall Replacement

grapedo

Boucher's Eventuall Replacement

It will be a sad day for South African cricket when wicket keeper great Mark Boucher decides to hang up the gloves.

Who do you think should replace him ?

Re: Boucher's Eventuall Replacement

I guess De Villiers could take over, not sure of the other candidates to be honest.

Reckon Boucher has about 3 more years in him at the moment.

I reckon De Villiers should take over, and play an all rounder or another batsman. South Africa lineup is frail if the top order fail, they have immense talent but the tail is pretty long.

Boucher is a good bat but he's a real grafter, I would prefer seeing South Africa have a batsman-keeper, if that makes sense.

Just an opinion.

But wouldnt they want de villeas in the slips or some other postition so he cant do some of his brilliant fielding?

Can't see de Villiers taking over the keeping duties full time. Whilst de Villiers is a good keeper, he is only a part-time one and is decent enough to keep for games where Boucher is rested or unavailable. I couldn't see him keeping full-time in tests but could play more a prominent fixture in ODI's and Twenty20 matches as Boucher's career comes to an end. I remember Dravid keeping a number of times for India in the one-day arena when Dhoni or Parthiv Patel were rested or injured.

I doubt South African cricket will pass the keeping duties to de Villiers as a permanent fixture. They'd be better off blooding a youngster or the next best keeper in the South African domestic competition allowing AB to focus 100% on his batting.

Lads a couple of names of possibles:

I do not think AB De Villiers will be his replacement as he wants to be "the worlds best batsman".

Possibles:
Heino Kuhn - In the ICC World T20 squad scores big runs , scored 3 double hundreds in the Franchise competition.. his technique needs some work..

Ryan Canning - Solid Keeper for the Cape Cobras, the best glove man in the country in my mind.. I am totally unbiased ... needs more big scores ..

Darren Smit.. In my mind the real successor - however he is a very good leg spinner in 20 over cricket so he needs to be told that he must make a choice between bowling and keeping..

I still think Mark Boucher has a lot to offer..

To be honest I still see Boucher with some more time left in him, Although I don't think that AB would want to take up the wicketkeeper/batsmen role, South Africa have some good young and upcoming players as hattrick pointed out.

Back