Bowl first ball as a slower ball?

Josh

Bowl first ball as a slower ball?

Hi, this is my first post here.

I was just thinking, because I am a pace bowler and the slower ball is one of my variations, would it be useful to bowl your first ball of your spell or your first ball to a new batsman who hasnt faced you yet as a slower ball?

I was thinking that this may make them believe that you are a medium pace bowler instead of a fast bowler. You could follow this up with a normal delivery that is faster.

Does anybody think this would work. I will try it at the nets sometime.

Re: Bowl first ball as a slower ball?

Anything is worth a try but you have to remember that whatever type of bowler you are, you need a 'stock' ball.

Personally, I'd rather dig one in short or yorker length to a new batsman but a slower ball could work just as well.

Welcome to the site!

My stock ball is a fast inswinger. My bowling action causes the ball to swing regardless of the shiny/rough side although if I shine one side up it swings more.

It could definitely work, but as Mas said, I'd rather surprise them first up.

i usually do this first ball to a new batsman. if i take a wicket with ball 3 for example, ball 4 will be a slower ball at the top of off stump, as the batsman(most ) isnt going to play a full blooded drive off the stumps first ball. more likely try to leave it or push it for a single. its worked the few times ive tried it... wouldnt bowl it first ball of a new spell tho, the batsman is watching the ball more intently then. second ball would be a better idea IMO

cheers and good luck

Clinty

I think it depends on whether you are warmed up or not.... I think to a new batsman a slower ball would work well, because they would be expecting you to be worked up, a slower ball may catch them out and their reactions might be a little slower not expecting it.

I find a good variation is to start an over with a slower ball, back it up with another slower ball, then a quick... followed with a quick and end with 2 slower balls, when they see it for the second time they expect it again. I'm lucky that my slower ball is a quickish off spin, I'm left handed and I can place it on leg or just outside and have it spin to off, batsmen get defensive when they see it because they don't tend to score off it, then when you get a fast one in, it gets through them.

We've actually done this in a game once... We had our 1st XI's opening bowler playing in the 3rd XI, for the first ball of the game we had 3 slips and everyone was standing about 10m behind the stumps. Then the bowler came in and bowled this slow off-cutter that bounced twice before the keeper. The next ball was a (substantially) faster, shorter one that missed the batsman's ears by inches, he got one hell of a fright...

We thought it was funny as anything.

But from a textbook cricketing perspective, it's probably not the most effective delivery, as the batsman, like Clint said, isn't likely to attack their first delivery. It is mistimed attacking shots when the slower ball is most effective.

collingwood;376133 said:
I think it depends on whether you are warmed up or not.... I think to a new batsman a slower ball would work well, because they would be expecting you to be worked up, a slower ball may catch them out and their reactions might be a little slower not expecting it.

I find a good variation is to start an over with a slower ball, back it up with another slower ball, then a quick... followed with a quick and end with 2 slower balls, when they see it for the second time they expect it again. I'm lucky that my slower ball is a quickish off spin, I'm left handed and I can place it on leg or just outside and have it spin to off, batsmen get defensive when they see it because they don't tend to score off it, then when you get a fast one in, it gets through them.

My club has been working on this with me at training. I normally bowl big outswingers, and we've been working and a quicker inswinger as a surprise ball.

breeno;376208 said:
My club has been working on this with me at training. I normally bowl big outswingers, and we've been working and a quicker inswinger as a surprise ball.

That's another way to mix it up, if you can get it working both ways, the batsman is never sure of which one is coming next. You could bowl your stock standard out swinger for 3 balls, bowl a slow surprise ball and back it up with 2 inswingers... nothing better than to have the batsman guessing ;)

it may work but remember that the slower ball is used to catch people off guard. you should be using a pace ball as a stock delivery and a slower ball as a changer

As a fast bowler i dont tend to bowl too many slower balls, i tend to cause more trouble to the batmen if it is fast and ripping down "the corridor of uncertainty", but this is just my opinion and there is no reason to give it a try.

Back