Bowling Action Video ( Back Problems AGAIN!! )

storm

Bowling Action Video ( Back Problems AGAIN!! )

okay well this sucks, i thought i sorted the problem and it's come back, my back feels really achey after games and isnt in a good way, my friend recently had 2 stress fractues in my back so i dont really want to bowl try bowl quick again until it's sorted.
YouTube - Movie
Any help would be amazing, liz if ur still out there i need you! lol i'd greatly appreciate any help guys ,thanks.

Re: Bowling Action Video ( Back Problems AGAIN!! )

Great video Storm!

There are a couple of things that speak to me but before we go in to it, can you tell me more about your back? Where specifically do you feel the ache and are there any other issues?

Storm,
Good video...
After delivering the ball it is possible for you to watch it till the end towards batsmen...ur head drops down after delivery...
watching the ball till last moment towards the batsmen will be helpful to you in understanding ur bowling direction...u can watch few bowling videos in you tube... for observation....
Liz can advice wether it is good or bad...

Virender

During my one-on-ones all winter i got moaned at all the time for extending my left arm fully in my action. He wanted me to keep it loaded and then whip it into my side from the elbow rather then the wrist/hand. It helped with pace alot and line but it took a little while to get the length back because it makes you drop it short coz u aint floating it through like u normally would, it also made it hit the bat alot harder coz it came of pitch faster.

I have a semi-final game tomorrow, ill take a picture of my back and highlight the main area's of pain after the game.

this pic pretty much nails it http://www.topnews.in/health/files/back-pain.jpg

and also in this one http://www.johnsonintegrativehealth.com/storage/Back Pain.jpg
sometimes the pain feels worst just a little lower that teh above pic.

non bowling arm is hurting quite a bit today from pulling my elbow into my ribs rather than out and in a circular motion, atm i can't control nething, and my back still hurts, not insanley but after the game tmoz it probs will.

it's also usually more towards the right side of my back.

Wow Storm! Quite significant... is it equally as bad left and right... extent of pain and length of radiation?

Using a pain scale where 1 is hardly anything and 10 is excruciating... give me a number.

it's generally more too the right, 1 to 10 i'd say it was a 3, but sometimes it's very stiff and can be a 5.
usually it's a small area of pain, and a large ache area.

Thank you Storm, you have given me some very helpful information, although it is no substitute to being able to see you in person.

It would appear that you have asymmetry of your trunk muscles, although without being able to palpate them, I cannot be absolutely certain which. The muscles that concern me are quadratus lumborum (QL), multifidus, longissimus/iliocostalis ER, internal obliques, transversus abdominis (TVA) and psoas. Although you have eliminated some by your symptoms, i.e. no side strain etc.

Also, I cannot be absolutely certain how much your lumbopelvic stability prep, during your fitness sessions, factors compared with your action. However, from what I can see, bearing in mind the amount of clothing you are wearing, you are hiding some very nice muscles.

This brings me to your action, which is basically good despite needing a little tweaking.

I would really love to see you keep your head straight; you tilt to the left at the start of wind up through to follow through. This is a bit of a cheat really... you know you need to look to the left of your non bowling arm but you must not tilt your head to do so.

Your non bowling arm was broached by Phil [excellent advice].

Your focus was broached by Virender [again excellent advice].

These issues cause you to laterally flex and rotate too much, putting stress on your lumbar area.

Try this and come back to us... keep upright, facing forward concentrating on that non bowling arm. The issues with your lower extremities may sort themselve out. In the meantime make sure you take care to work your lumbar muscles, particularly QL and TVA, equally and bilaterally during your core workout.

:):):):) Thanks liz, im gonig to the nets tmoz for a long net session which i can walk through my action and try get things correct.

Arghh it's annoying, my pace just is SHIT, was bowling faster when i was 15 and had no injuries .... sigh, it's so annoying to be bowling half the speed i was when i was half the size, and for no apparent reason. Shoulder is still pissing up after having an xray and MRI and apparently nothings wrong, which is BS cause it hurts, i donts see it being physcological... what an annoying game.

Just because they have not found anything on x-ray or MRI does not mean there is not anything there Storm... quite often, it can be the way the muscles are firing [or misfiring]. I would love to get my hands on you... is there any way you can get to see a sports and remedial massage therapist?

The decrease in pace, and change of action, does often occur at 15/16; usually at the time of a growth spurt. The centre of gravity changes and you have to deal with longer than previous extremities. As you can imagine, all the dynamics are 'wrong'. Keep at it... you will get there.

Bowled 10 overs today, Back is killing me :( really struggling, im gonna do some more core work and try figure out what it is that's killing my back so much.

I'm thinking of remodelling my action to allan donalds action, do you think this is the right step forward? his action seems to be perfect.

storm;355459 said:
I'm thinking of remodelling my action to allan donalds action, do you think this is the right step forward? his action seems to be perfect.

No.

I'm no Biomechanist, and I certainly don't have any qualifications such as Liz would have, but I know that you can't 'get' someone elses action.

You have to work with the action you have and work on it, tweaking things here and there along the way to improve your overall performance and to reduce the chance of injury to the minimal amount.

Chopping and changing your action's completely doesn't seem to be the way to go about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong Liz.

sounds like sound advice, thanks breeno, still unclear on what to do though, im gonna get a video tmoz of me just simply walking through my action slowly and post it up.

rained ... so i cudnt get a video, but im looking at the rotator cuff and've found that the exercises i do work the wrong area, i feel like it's the infraspinatus and teres minor, when i do the rotator cuff exercises the top area of the shoulder is worked for me, but i really want to work the lower part.

:(:(:( bowled with no run up today too try reduce pain, back is really bad, alot of pain in the tailbone area, really stiff at the moment :(.

does anyone have any drills for keeping straight when bowling, i'm really finding it hard to change and keep straight and upright.

heres my latest video.
YouTube - Cricker
At the moment i am trying the three knee drill, if any of you have any toher drills it would be most appreciated.
Also i think i will be spending alot of time infront of a mirror this week just going through my action, tonight im gonna take some notes on key things from ponts book.

Back