Bowling Advice

rabs

Bowling Advice

Here is a video of me bowling, sorry for the really poor quality, was off my phone. Look at the smaller version by clicking on the button bottom right.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10xpPWRUWwo"]YouTube - Me Bowling[/ame]

You can just about pick up my action, and pause it when necessary to see my wrist position amongst other things. I was bowling pretty sharp here and quite accurately. Been having a problem recently with my wrist position though, and this means that the ball my slide down leg, and then I may overcompensate and bowl well outside off. I think this problem may be partly due to how I am not bowling wicket to wicket, so introducing extra angles when delivering the ball. I'm trying to work on getting closer to the stumps when bowling.

End of the season now, but I want to work hard over the winter to be much improved next year, though I picked up many wickets last year. Trying to do a lot of fitness training and a lot of bowling. Aim to go to the nets every week.

I would appreciate any advice action wise if you can spot any, and any other help. We have a very good island coach over here who will no doubt work with me over the winter, but any other advice would be very good.

Re: Bowling Advice

Lol, there are only three frames there, don't think we can pick up much.

I will tell you one thing, you are pretty sharp and it is very good. You generate most of your pace through a leap to the crease, something essential to any fast bowler. Your follow through is fine too. You have a very good action.

However, the problem which may be causing a loss in accuracy may be that your side falls away early in your action to the off side. Your body would then overcompensate by pushing the ball to the batsman, resulting in leg side bowling. An example of who this happens to is Steve Harmison.

Try and bring your head down in a line with your arm, and do it at delivery, not before like you are now.

Don't worry about it though, I suffer from the same problem myself;)

:p Manee has it, im sure if you carry on, get in the gym in a year or so, you shouldnt be going to a gym before you're 16. How old are you?

We cant really see much, and chance of a better film sometime?

Thanks for the help Manee. Yeah looking at the video just before I deliver that ball, I fall into that Harmison position, so I will try to keep more upright and that may mean that it is easier for me to adjust my wrist to where I want the ball, and may give me the ability to bowl the away swinger. As at the moment I can only bowl inswing, which is probably due to the angle of delivery.

I'm only 15 simbo, 16 just after the new year. Have got a couple of weights at home and will just do with them for now, no need for anything too much at the moment, hopefully I will just get quicker and better through bowling more and more. I will try to get a better video sometime, though it's hard because I can't take one of my parents cams with me.

Thanks for the comments both of you :D

Yeah if you have a couple and you do them now and again, and i mean, now and again, then its no harm, probably an advantage as your muscles will start to tone, at 16 you cant start on a timetable as it where.

Simbazz said:
Yeah if you have a couple and you do them now and again, and i mean, now and again, then its no harm, probably an advantage as your muscles will start to tone, at 16 you cant start on a timetable as it where.

Yeah, more focused on just bowling at the moment, the pace will come. Just want to get rid of some faults in my action, so I can hit better lines and lengths next year.

rabeta said:
Thanks for the help Manee. Yeah looking at the video just before I deliver that ball, I fall into that Harmison position, so I will try to keep more upright and that may mean that it is easier for me to adjust my wrist to where I want the ball, and may give me the ability to bowl the away swinger. As at the moment I can only bowl inswing, which is probably due to the angle of delivery.

You bowl inswing because your hips are very open. However, the fact your hips both face the batsman mean you are pretty sharp. You need to find a compromise where they are open, but not too open like they are now.

I suppose this is just natural, so will take time to correct, but perhaps if I can develop my position to be more side-on and bowl the outswinger, I could just leave the inswinger as my stock delivery. Main problem is I swing the ball too much with the new ball, can't control it lol.

rabeta said:
I suppose this is just natural, so will take time to correct, but perhaps if I can develop my position to be more side-on and bowl the outswinger, I could just leave the inswinger as my stock delivery. Main problem is I swing the ball too much with the new ball, can't control it lol.

Changing front on/side on, is the quick fix and will result in a lack of consistancy and likely a mixed action. Swing comes from the wrist position, other things just get in the way. To bowl the outswinger, just have the seam pointing to second slip with a high arm action with your bowling arm.

To stop the new ball swinging, hold it cross seam.

Will try to develop out-swing over the winter but not changing my action, just wrist position. Hopefully if I don't lean so much to the off-side it may be easier to bowl. About the new ball swining, I'd rather leave it swinging than holding it cross seam, never like holding it cross seam. Thanks a lot for the advice Manee ;)

Any more thoughts?

Back