bowling laws

londonrug

bowling laws

bit of a debate at the moment - can a bowler bowl from behind an umpire? If so, how does the umpire know if the bowler has bowled from too wide of the crease?

Re: bowling laws

yeah - i've seen it done a couple of times, but thought that the laws had changed....

how can an umpire tell if he has bowled from 5 yards wide of the crease?!

It's definitely legal to bowl from any point behind the popping crease, as long as the batsman is ready as you start your run up, at which point the ball becomes live. As to how umpires check you bowl within the return crease when you're behind them, well I suppose they'd have to rely on the square leg umpire... No Ball calls are the primary responsibility of the non-striker's end umpire, but that doesn't mean the other umpire can't call a no-ball - he can.

ok...had a look at the laws - law 24:

5. Fair delivery - the feet
For a delivery to be fair in respect of the feet, in the delivery stride
(i) the bowler's back foot must land within and not touching the return crease.
(ii) the bowler's front foot must land with some part of the foot, whether grounded or raised, behind the popping crease.
If the umpire at the bowler's end is not satisfied that both these conditions have been met, he shall call and signal No ball.

now (i) has confused me even more...whats that all about?!?!

londonrug;386867 said:
now (i) has confused me even more...whats that all about?!?!

the return crease is the line that runs down the side of the crease on either side (pointing down the wicket, rather than across it).

your back foot has to land inside of this line or its a no ball. its there to stop you from bowling really wide of the crease. your back foot is usually the first one to touch the ground (unless you have a strange action), so its easy to plant your leading foot inside the line, and then it doesnt matter where your front foot lands in terms of width (but obviously some part of it has to be behind the popping crease).

the first delivery on this video illustrates my point. the back foot lands inside the return crease, but the front foot lands well outside of it. thats what the law means.
YouTube - Colin Croft

I would say it's not against the laws, but it just isn't cricket. It's fair enough bowling maybe half a running step shorter, just after the bowling crease for example, but not behind the umpire.

I know players who will bowl the odd one from in line with the umpire but that is about it. Can't see that much advantage from bowling it from anything further away as the distance means a reduction in pace once it gets to the bat. Shock value maybe but that is about all.

Wasnt there a spin bowler in recent years, possibly Australian domestic, who used to make a habit of bowling it from well back?

Back