Bowling with a weighted ball

storm

Bowling with a weighted ball

good or bad idea to practise with a balll heavier than a cricket ball??

Re: Bowling with a wheighted ball

I was thinking of that link. As with most things there are pro's and cons that need to be considered. Used correctly, then I think it could be a useful tool but it could be all too easy to over do it.

I know Ian Pont has experimented with it but there is no solid evidence either way.

In my view there is a risk if not done right of messing up your action.

As bowlers will attest (hopefully) you do get some natural variation in cricket balls, in that some can feel heavier than others (I don't know why, I'd guess it's mental as much as anything else). This natural variation can really throw your action off at times, which is the big worry for me with using the weighted ball, as the effect would be more pronounced.

Think of the time you spend working on length etc, all of this would change if using something heavier due to the extra forces needed. You'd end up pushing the normal weighted ball fuller and it may also effect release point and arm straightness.

For a spinner I think it could be helpful in terms of helping wrist/finger strength. I advise moderation and supervision as well as warming up and down. I used it when i was leggie and practised spinning it into a highjump mat/mattress. Just a thought.

Done right, there is no reason why this can't work... to a degree.

Anybody that plays indoor and outdoor cricket should be able to attest to the different mechanics required to bowl with the heavier/ lighter balls. If you're gonna give it a go, do early preseason so that any mechanical issues can be sorted.

And i'm just guessing, but I imagine that the best way to use this would be in bursts. < 3 overs of deliveries, I'm thinking would probably be counterproductive.

Back