Buying a new cricket bat

Re: Buying a new cricket bat

That's the beauty of it, you specify it just how you like it. As you said, £150 for a custom made bat is a good price and you got a reasonable bit of willow - the ball should ping off that bat.

it really does go from pretty much anywhere off the bat but the middle is ridiculous its lost a few cricket balls in its time already!

I had a bat like that, was made for a county pro but he didn't like it (only had 14 grains on it ::)). The ball flew off the middle like a rocket, best bat I ever had.

lol just counted from the pic i posted and mine has 14 as well...... will double check later, my newbury has less but still goes like a rocket.

14 is about the top end of what I'd want, any more than that and the bat is liable to break and crack pretty quickly.

well when i was having it made, i said to the guy about knocking it in. he just laughed and said it would be fine as i was only going to abuse it anyway and its a nice bit of wood so dont worry! he said he makes loads of bats for flintoff and the likes they are never knocked in just pressed with steel bars and used!

Yeah, if you get a decent 'pro' bat made there is little point in knocking it in, but saying that they're lucky in that they get a unlimited supply, where as us mortals have to shell out for them.

I tend not to bother knocking in bats and find that 'normal' shop\warehouse bought ones tend to play best after about a season of normal use but each bat is different.

i only knocked in the edges as they were very soft! but the middle sounded weird for a few net sessions now its crisp!

Key thing is to get some oil on it to help keep the moisture in it.

Did you get a choice of names for it or is the 'Sapling' from the maker?

its had its first sanding and oil.

The Sapling was chosen by myself and enscribed by myself.... it had no name and we had to christen such a beast!

that is a super nice bat i am normally a fan of the branded stuff but all this bats being made for just for the player is making me change my mind

where did you get it from? any contact details?

It was made by a guy at County... Think its just out side cambridgeshire..... possibly huntingdon. cant remember.

I'm looking for a bat, got a few months. Probably looking at either Ice, Genesis, Kahuna, Fusion or umm one of the pumas, Ballastic or something, might of been something else.

What do you guys think of the Kahuna? How does it compare to the Fusion and where to Pumas fit in? I'm not a very big hitter but can hit a few big shots, but tend to get singles and 2s more. I am an OK driver, and pretty good on the back foot, probably prefer the bat to have a low-ish middle but I'd rather a good all-round bat than one that is just good in one area.

Umm, i'm not a fan of Kookaburras. I've used one of my team-mates Kahuna's and didn't like it one bit. I find them to be weighted quite poorly and the pick-up of my friends was poor. They've got thick old edges on them though. The Kookaburra's also have quite high middles as they're designed to be used on the fast and bouncy tracks of Australia. If you want a good all-round bat, go for the GN Fusion. They look great, are amazingly light, another of my team-mates has one and it's supposedly heavier than my Powerbow but felt much lighter, such good pick-up. I'd go for the fusion.

Ok just picking up on a point there!

How do you design a bat to have a high middle?

i assume it has to do with how much wood is behind the blade and what position and where the weight is?

KP - Thanks for that, I'll see if I can get one of my coach who works for GN

Sumped - Yeh I would think so, but I'm not an expert.

Stumped said:
Ok just picking up on a point there!

How do you design a bat to have a high middle?

i assume it has to do with how much wood is behind the blade and what position and where the weight is?

It can be a few things but generally it's where the bulk of the weight lies. Tend not to make bats with middles that are too high as it can weaken the toe (not enough wood) and generally it feels wrong, as the bat will feel light.

If you want to play around at home with the middle, try adding 3 grips to your bat and seeing how the pick up changes. It's all about the balance of the bat, so more weight on the handle (a grip adds about an oz of weight) means that it changes where the balance point (the middle) of the bat lies.

Back