Can an umpire remove a player from the field of play?

boycotts xi

Can an umpire remove a player from the field of play?

Hi, new here, so sorry if in wrong place.

In a recent match up a member of our team head butted another player during our last game, the umpire said he was unable to stop the player from continuing and the matter would be dealt with after the game.

Is that correct as every other sport I can think of would remove that player rather than let them continue and ban them / fine them after the match has finished.

Re: Can an umpire remove a player from the field of play?

Well in my league that would be life suspension.

It's not the umpire's job to monitor the behaviour of the players during the game - except where it relates to the cricket itself. However, it is the Captains job to ensure that the game is played in the correct spirit. Law 42.18 says that if there is a breach of the spirit of the game by any player, the umpire should :
(i) inform the player's captain of the occurrence, instructing the latter to take action.
(ii) warn him of the gravity of the offence, and tell him that it will be reported to higher authority.

His captain should have taken the player off after that behaviour.

its common assault!

we have had players removed from our ground before! our groundsman is also one of our players and it is his Land so he has told the quite litterally to get off his land before!

edladd is right. According to the rules the umpire can't take the player off but the captain is expected to take some action. I suppose if the captain fails to act he could be punished as well.

you are correct AB and Edladd, we recently had a side removed from teh League as they had 8 complaints from 3 games for "bad Behaviour" and not playinjg within the SPirit of Cricket!

A lot of the leagues down here are investigating/ implementing a Soccer (football for the poms) style yellow/ red card system to stamp out bad behaviour. A yellow for minor offences, a red for serious offences.

It's a great idea, if the parameters are right, but can have obviously giant rammifications on a match.

cant seeing that working unless you have panel umpires? and even then they would be members of your own club unless you play in teh top 3 divs where the umpires are provided!

I would think they could especially if the umpire has given the player a red card.
I wouldn't think they could if the umpire didn't like the player.

Umpire really has the Power to put a fine or Ban. If any player back-answer the Umpire on his Decision rudely, he may be sent out of the field and also will be charged for that.:eek:

Hitterman;267844 said:
Umpire really has the Power to put a fine or Ban. If any player back-answer the Umpire on his Decision rudely, he may be sent out of the field and also will be charged for that.:eek:

I think you will find that the match referee has that power, but no-one on the field other then the players captain (who can only ask) can remove a player from the field of play

D.K;267857 said:
I think you will find that the match referee has that power, but no-one on the field other then the players captain (who can only ask) can remove a player from the field of play
Even though hitterman might be wrong it might happen within his league. If that happens then what the league are doing is illegal.

schwab2clarkson;267860 said:
Even though hitterman might be wrong it might happen within his league. If that happens then what the league are doing is illegal.

I was talking international/first class level, the rules might be different for local leagues so his could possibly do this but at international level players cannot be removed from the field

D.K;267875 said:
I was talking international/first class level, the rules might be different for local leagues so his could possibly do this but at international level players cannot be removed from the field
You are right here. I agree with you. I think that guy was talking about his local league. Just to be fair.
I know of some junior leagues do allow the umpires to send of players.

Stumped;265724 said:
you are correct AB and Edladd, we recently had a side removed from teh League as they had 8 complaints from 3 games for "bad Behaviour" and not playinjg within the SPirit of Cricket!

Some people might say that there is no such thing has the Spirit of Cricket, and its all crap :confused:

edladd;265462 said:
It's not the umpire's job to monitor the behaviour of the players during the game - except where it relates to the cricket itself. However, it is the Captains job to ensure that the game is played in the correct spirit. Law 42.18 says that if there is a breach of the spirit of the game by any player, the umpire should :
(i) inform the player's captain of the occurrence, instructing the latter to take action.
(ii) warn him of the gravity of the offence, and tell him that it will be reported to higher authority.

His captain should have taken the player off after that behaviour.
Hey edladd,
Do you umpire cricket?
Just wondering that's all mate.

Great knowledge of the game and the rules.

The umpire is only allowed to remove a player from the field if he tipped the opposition's bails off with his go nads!

Back