Can Australia Remain a Force with so many retirements?

sirvo

Can Australia Remain a Force with so many retirements?

Damian Martyn - Retired
Shane Warne - Retired
Glen McGrath - Retired
Justin Langer - Retired
Adam Gilchrist - Ageing
Matthew Hayden - Ageing
Michael Clark - inconsistent
Andrew Symonds - Fringe
Ricky Ponting - Brilliant
Brett Lee - Safe but not really performing
Michael Hussey - Brilliant
Stuart Clarke - Arrived just in time
Phil Jacques - Promising
Stuart McGill - Now gets his chance - also ageing

Australia is the dominant team in world cricket but after this SCG Test there aren't even enough players left to carry the departures off on their shoulders.

I think the new blood may prove good enough for Test cricket but their early years will not have the depth of world class experienced mentors young Aussies have been lucky enough to enjoy for the last 15 years.

Ponting can't be expected to play forever either so we need to find a replacement captain sooner rather than later. Someone to groom over the next 4 or 5 years. Michael Clark is the only one young enough to be a contender but he just doesn't inspire in a leadership way. Then again Punter didn't in his early days either.

How strong will Australia be in say 3 years time?

Re: Can Australia Remain a Force with so many retirements?

A force in 3 years, it is hard to say as so much can change in that amount of time.

But Australia's domestic and junior programs are so much better structured and organised then most other countries. We always have players coming through the ranks, capable of replacing anyone when needed.

To say that we will be a force in the 3 years time is hard, but I will say that we will be very good and competitive to say the least.

Martyn - Clarke
Langer - Jaques/Rogers
McGrath - Johnson/Tait/Hilfenhaus
Warne - Cullen

Plus lots of others
White, Watson, Cosgrove, D Hussey, Bailey, Paine, Ronchi, and the list goes on andon

i think we can stay up the top for a long time

Australia will always be a force you just have to compare it to the west indies dominant era they just thought it would always go on, but in australia you have the structure and resourses in place to always be up there, you might accasionally have a down period but it will be short. Over the years how many down periods did Australia have, the only one i can think of (i'm 33 years old) is when marsh,lillee & chappell retired and i think we learnt from that.

I'm talking about the playing side of things not administration for that just look to the sub-continent we lost that fight when we admitted bangladesh, next cab off the rank will be china. Dont think im being racist what im saying is we lost our power base when asia gained that vital extra vote.

Yes.

Our fast bowling stocks are suddenly very good. Tait, Johnson, S Clark, Bracken, Hilfenhaus - some talent there. Some very young.
Batting and keeping spots are fine. Haddin will come in for Gilchrist but atm I hope Gilly keeps playing. We have Jaques and Rogers to replace Langer and Hayden and the likes of Hodge, Cosgrove, North, Voges, Birt for middle order spots.
The only problem is our spin bowling department. Cullen, Bailey, Hauritz are our chances but are all inconsistent. MacGill deserves his spot for a couple of summers.

Back