captaincy tips

bboy0001

captaincy tips

hi guys, i play in U15 redcliffe city junior and our captain has gone away for a month and i have been promoted to captain. I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips or pointers for this weekends game. We are defending 179 runs.

Re: captaincy tips

bboy0001;374949 said:
hi guys, i play in U15 redcliffe city junior and our captain has gone away for a month and i have been promoted to captain. I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips or pointers for this weekends game. We are defending 179 runs.

Set a good field: Wicketkeeper, 1st slip, 2nd slip, gully, point, short cover, mid off, mid on, short mid wicket fwd square leg, fine leg.

Tell the bowler to bowl on off stump. Nothing short.

Don't reset your field when a batter plays a decent shot. Be patient.

I am under 15's and captain my side, I start with a ring field and see that batsman stregthns and weakneses and see how the bowlers are bowling.

Ok i was thinking this field, keeper,1st slip,short fine leg,silly mid off, mid wicket,mid on,extra cover,point,square leg,cover point, and bowler. In recent weeks a lot of runs have been scored in some of these areas, so what do you guys think any tips would be great.:)

I wouldnt like that as a seam bowler,,, i'd definitly want an orthodox fine leg or 3rd man in just because at junior cricket you cant always back your keeper, and if you do get an edge that doesnt go to 1st slip its 4 runs isnt it nearly everytime,,,
I'm 3rd team captain, but play 1st/2nds on saturdays, and setting a field is dependent on the bowler, me and the other opener are tall and decent paced so the field at 2nds and 3rds i set for us two in time games is: Keeper bowler--- 1st slip, 3rd slip, Gully Point, Cover, Mid-off Wide mid-on/Mid-wicket, Square leg,,,, Then i have a man over and if they get a bat whos good through extra the man goes there and if the bat likes leg side i get an orthodox mid wicket and put mid-on orthodox,,,,,,, but that depends on your bowler,,,, You wouldn't set Brett Lee and Glenn Mcgrath the same field because they have different bowling styles,,,

as a captain, your main job is to set the tempo of the team, encourage, encourage, encourage... players will respond in a positive way if you encourage them, if someone drops a catch you don't abuse them, you say bad luck, keep focused for the next one. Let the bowlers know when they have bowled a good ball, keep the fielders on their toes, toss the ball around so all the fielders get involved and get a touch, keep the talk up and enjoy yourself. Fielding positions are dependent on the bowling ability and also fielders ability, sometimes you can think smart and instead of using 2 fielders near eachother, you can get away with one positioned inbetween and a little further back, more for the athletic type fielder.

If you back your opening bowlers, I'm sure they definitely wouldn't want 4 on the leg-side. I open in u16s, I start with fine leg, square leg and mid on and pretty much an over or two in resort to bringing the fine leg to 3rd man and having a 7-2 field. It may sound a bit much, but if you back your bowlers to bowl full on off then you should be fine. Probably at least half of my runs conceded this season have come from edges between 2nd and gully going for four. So yeah, pretty much what Phil said.

And yeah, as collingwood said, bowlers of different abilities would have different fields. If you can't trust someone to bowl full on off, then you may want to start with a mid-wicket as well.

I don't think there's much point in having fine leg in short for a pace bowler - it has to go straight to them or else it's four...

Depends on the bowlers themselves though.

As an ex-captain of a Reserve Grade side, and now vice for A grade there was one bowler I almost always had a 5-4 field, or sometimes a 4-5 field, and he opened the bowling. He is terribly quick but not too accurate and got a lot of wickets from going wild and spraying the balls everywhere. Having a ring field with some close and some back, with good legside protection and a fly slip enabled the most to be made of a mistimed shot.

Whereas the other opening bowler is line and length and has an 7-2 or 6-3 field to start with.

I bowl off spin and although it's fine setting my own fields, it is extremely hard to set another spinner's field. Make sure you talk to your spinner, if you have one, and ensures he knows how to set his own fields. When you are on the field tell him what you want and where you would like the fielders and then let him adjust it from there, don't make a spinner do something he doesn't want to do because it doesn't work.

Also don't chase the ball around. Set a field and stick with it until you have been given a reason to change. Don't put a man back on the boundary because he hit a six there, leave him where he was at mid wicket and see if the batsman has the skill to do it again.

yeah but the thing is in junior cricket you cant really back your bowlers, there is the odd short ball on leg side that gets hammered on leg side.

bboy0001;377216 said:
yeah but the thing is in junior cricket you cant really back your bowlers, there is the odd short ball on leg side that gets hammered on leg side.

Not that much different. The only difference is that in higher levels and ages the batsman are normally good enough to put all the bad balls away, whereas in lower age groups the bowlers bowl more bad balls but the batsmen can't put them all away.

The main thing to worry about is your mental strength. Don't let yourself slip, you can't not concentrate for ten minutes and hope everything is still all fine by the end of it.

You have to be on the go continuously thinking on your feet and making it all up as you go along. But at the same time don't forget your own contribution, don't want to be a great captain that drops every catch or is an opening batsman that runs himself out.

I'm also captain of a side, got a question for anyone willing to help out.

At what point do you decide your judgement might be inferior to someone elses?

Example. Last weekend, playing a one dayer 50 overs each. Had a on guy bowling mediums, swings it both ways but quite early and not at great pace. Good bowler but nothing special basically. We have 180 on the board, they're 2/70 odd with both batsman pretty set. I decide it's time to start going a little more defensive so take 2nd out and chuck him down to a 3rd man, as the boundaries were short straight and we'd conceded a lot of 4's in that area. I could tell the bowler didn't like it and after the over he comes up and requests the 2nd should go back in. Obviously he knows his own bowling a lot better than me and very well could feel he's close to getting a nick to one of the batsman, but his view wasn't addressing the current game situation. I decided to give him a second for the next over but he wasn't looking like doing anything so whipped him out after 3 balls. On cue, he then gets one of them with a catch at 1 and a 1/2 slip, the guy from the other end gets the other guy, they're 4/80 and obviously we're now attacking again.

Now, talking to others later they agreed it was right to start going more defensive and chuck a third in at that point. However, given we got a catch behind the wicket not long after the bowler was equally right in saying he had a chance to get a wicket that way.

If a similar situation should arise again, is it better to just trust yourself and go confidently with whatever you think or pay more attention to what the bowler considers is the right option?

What about taking a fairly unconventional approach (if you've got a bloke for the job) and putting a wrist spinner in there with the pace bowler as the opener. He bowls with the wind in his face at off-stump with an off-side field looking for the edge of the bat. Could work because the opening bat may not be used to playing spin right from the outset - should screw his rythmn up and his game plan? What do you reckon?

TFGF, I know you wanted advice on what to do if your gut felt differently to what the bowler feels, but I'd just thought I'd let you know as a medium pace swing bowler I'd agree with what you did. If the batsmen are looking set then I agree a second probably wasn't in need and if you are playing a limited overs match then it's a move you probably had to make. It's pretty tough situation to be in, though.

someblokecalleddave;377310 said:
What about taking a fairly unconventional approach (if you've got a bloke for the job) and putting a wrist spinner in there with the pace bowler as the opener. He bowls with the wind in his face at off-stump with an off-side field looking for the edge of the bat. Could work because the opening bat may not be used to playing spin right from the outset - should screw his rythmn up and his game plan? What do you reckon?

We did that in rep cricket, but with an offie. In one game one of the openers had no idea and got really unsettled - it was pretty great to watch. But I think it can only be used depending on the pitch and your bowling stocks.

Bboy, surely you've got a couple of bowlers you can trust to put it in the right spot? As Boris said, bad balls are less likely to be put away...

someblokecalleddave;377310 said:

That is a great tactic, although unconventional because you would normally want your seamers to expoit the ball when it has the most seam, is hardest and is most shiny.

However, it's especially good on a bunsen when you are bowling 2nd in a match with one new ball.

micoach;377399 said:
That is a great tactic, although unconventional because you would normally want your seamers to expoit the ball when it has the most seam, is hardest and is most shiny.

However, it might be worth giving him 3 overs or so. Just enough to create doubt but not long enough to do that much damage to the ball.

TFGF;377273 said:

Example. Last weekend, playing a one dayer 50 overs each. Had a on guy bowling mediums, swings it both ways but quite early and not at great pace. Good bowler but nothing special basically. We have 180 on the board, they're 2/70 odd with both batsman pretty set. I decide it's time to start going a little more defensive so take 2nd out and chuck him down to a 3rd man, as the boundaries were short straight and we'd conceded a lot of 4's in that area. I could tell the bowler didn't like it and after the over he comes up and requests the 2nd should go back in. Obviously he knows his own bowling a lot better than me and very well could feel he's close to getting a nick to one of the batsman, but his view wasn't addressing the current game situation. I decided to give him a second for the next over but he wasn't looking like doing anything so whipped him out after 3 balls. On cue, he then gets one of them with a catch at 1 and a 1/2 slip, the guy from the other end gets the other guy, they're 4/80 and obviously we're now attacking again.

Now, talking to others later they agreed it was right to start going more defensive and chuck a third in at that point. However, given we got a catch behind the wicket not long after the bowler was equally right in saying he had a chance to get a wicket that way.

If a similar situation should arise again, is it better to just trust yourself and go confidently with whatever you think or pay more attention to what the bowler considers is the right option?

This really comes down to the bowler in the end. If you have been playing with them for years and you know they can bowl to what you set, then trust yourself to let them have a little more leeway with what they want. If they are fairly new to the side and you don't know them then be a little more cautious and set the fields yourself with not so much bowler input. Game situation, also as you said, plays a critical part when choosing what to do.

Experience will tell you most of it, not much help but I think its something that you learn.

TFGF;377273 said:

It's sod law at times. Trust your judgement but don't be afraid to talk to the keeper and bowler. You don't have to do what they advise but bear it in mind as it may come in handy.

I've got a question:

When I captain I like to talk to my keeper and the bowler when he has idea's/i have ideas.... but thats it. Other captains in the club prefer to talk to a group of more senior players and get a general idea from the core of the teams. But like i said i don't listen to everyone but the keeper/bowler and often get criticised after games when an ariel ball drops at short mid wicket when "jonny 4th change bowler" limped up from fine leg 10 overs ago and told me put a man there and i ignored. So what do you lot do?

How many people do you lot like to talk to as captain about the tactics and when would it reach the stage when you'd tell jonny nobhead to shut up?

phil2oo8;377548 said:
I've got a question:

When I captain I like to talk to my keeper and the bowler when he has idea's/i have ideas.... but thats it. Other captains in the club prefer to talk to a group of more senior players and get a general idea from the core of the teams. But like i said i don't listen to everyone but the keeper/bowler and often get criticised after games when an ariel ball drops at short mid wicket when "jonny 4th change bowler" limped up from fine leg 10 overs ago and told me put a man there and i ignored. So what do you lot do?

How many people do you lot like to talk to as captain about the tactics and when would it reach the stage when you'd tell jonny nobhead to shut up?

I prefer to have a group of the more senior leadership players. Have yourself, your vice captain and whoever would be vice if you weren't captain, pretty much your three in charge, plus your bowler. Often your wicket keeper is in that list because they generally have a knack for leading.

Take the Aussie team for example. Behind the stumps they have Haddin, Clarke, Ponting and Hussey. That is the think tank for the whole field in the one slips cordon, with first to fourth in charge there.

If you have a little group like that that can field in a general area together, just maybe you and your vice at mid off and mid on, then they can spread the word a little quicker and receive those ideas from everyone in the field. That way you don't have to listen to little Johnny Knobhead all the time, because you have 3 or 4 people all with their input to decide if he is right.

Make sure you are still in charge, you don't need to have a committee meeting to decide on everything. Just have a word here and there to the closest or most appropriate person in the field.

Also make sure that you really are the right person for the job. I'm not aiming this at anybody in the thread, but captaincy skills are often a natural skill you have and if you don't think you are cut out for it, trade jobs with your vice. Most probably you are going to improve your game anyway.

Back