captaincy tips

Re: captaincy tips

I can suggest some quick and easy off spinning tactics that I have come up with for club situations over the years if anyone is willing to hear.

Well these are just tried and tested little suggestions from my experience at club level that seemed to work for me, but might not for everyone else.

Right Handers for this at the moment.

One is set a very legside field. Have a short midwicket, silly mid on, square leg, mid on, short backwards square leg pretty fine or fine leg and a deep mid wicket, then have a slip, mid off and short cover. This is a very attacking field for a non-player of spin, perhaps a tailender. Bowl to that field with good to full length off breaks on off stump spinning into middle and leg, or even further across than that. The key there is to pitch them as far as the bowler dares towards off without them playing off side and trying to get plenty of spin back in, trying to entice the straight drive and getting an inside edge to be caught in close or short midwicket or a spoon up to mid on. Then the occasional top spinner should be pitched just outside off stump to hit top of off and hope the field and consistent legside bowling tricks them, a doosra would be better but I doubt that possible. Pitch the occasional top spinner at the pads nice and full and entice the sweep hoping for LBW if straight enough, or the top edge round the corner or squarer.

Another one, choose your own field placings here, but an offside dominant field with fielders around slips, backward point, point, cover, mid off, mid on and so on with maybe some in close or some deep depending on the situation. Set the field as you please to a more medium pacer style. Then tell your offie to bowl consistent topspinners over and over again nice and full keeping them going straight and top spinning outside off landing them on a spot again and again. Get them playing drives into the covers and expect some runs off those overs. Then make sure there are a couple of your better fielders around short midwicket or closer, and if you have a big turning offie, once the batsman is set and hitting fours through the covers, turn a big one into middle stump from outside off if he can. Try to make him understand that this is used only as a scare tactic and should not insist on bowling them once an over. This, if it doesn't get you the wicket, should put doubt in the batsman's mind, they will be waiting for the big turning one and not likely to play full blooded drives to some of the good bouncing pies being tossed up. Then get him to every few balls toss in some off breaks, but not big turning, and backspinners and arm balls, getting the drift, little bit of swing maybe, getting some darting backspinners in at the stumps that don't bounce and generally start varying it up, but ensuring that top spinners outside off stump is the stock delivery and not to vary too much. If you don't get your wicket soon while tinkering with the field ever so slightly as patterns wear through, then change your tactic. Shock tactic here is the key to work over a batsman with pies to be dispatched once he gets used to it, and then the very SUDDEN change. Gets most club batsman.

There are more but I see I have typed too much once again.

still got one question though, if ive got a bowler who has just taken a wicket and the next over he bowls he gets smashed should i bring him off or leave him on?? it has happened a few times over the last couple of games.

bboy0001;378193 said:
still got one question though, if ive got a bowler who has just taken a wicket and the next over he bowls he gets smashed should i bring him off or leave him on?? it has happened a few times over the last couple of games.

It depends how many overs he has bowled. If he is an opening bowler who got a wicket in the first over, then got smashed up second time round, give him another then take him off if he doesn't improve.

Quite often it means they have gotten a cheap wicket against a batsman that had trouble playing him. The next batsman obviously has no trouble against him and firing away. Make sure you check to see what the other batsman is like against him. I would prefer to take him off.

If it was mid game and a batsman is ripping apart all of your bowlers, but the other batsman cannot play any of them, don't be afraid to bowl a part timer and set a defensive field (or offensive outfield as I call it), quite often they will bowl a half volley or half tracker and the batsman will go for the slog for an outfield catch.

Just remember that what I am saying is from personal experience with often my own bowling. You need to sit down with your team and tell them what you want before the game. What I say will probably not work for you, you need to adapt it for yourself.

Boris;377716 said:
Well these are just tried and tested little suggestions from my experience at club level that seemed to work for me, but might not for everyone else.

Right Handers for this at the moment.

One is set a very legside field. Have a short midwicket, silly mid on, square leg, mid on, short backwards square leg pretty fine or fine leg and a deep mid wicket, then have a slip, mid off and short cover. This is a very attacking field for a non-player of spin, perhaps a tailender. Bowl to that field with good to full length off breaks on off stump spinning into middle and leg, or even further across than that. The key there is to pitch them as far as the bowler dares towards off without them playing off side and trying to get plenty of spin back in, trying to entice the straight drive and getting an inside edge to be caught in close or short midwicket or a spoon up to mid on. Then the occasional top spinner should be pitched just outside off stump to hit top of off and hope the field and consistent legside bowling tricks them, a doosra would be better but I doubt that possible. Pitch the occasional top spinner at the pads nice and full and entice the sweep hoping for LBW if straight enough, or the top edge round the corner or squarer.

Another one, choose your own field placings here, but an offside dominant field with fielders around slips, backward point, point, cover, mid off, mid on and so on with maybe some in close or some deep depending on the situation. Set the field as you please to a more medium pacer style. Then tell your offie to bowl consistent topspinners over and over again nice and full keeping them going straight and top spinning outside off landing them on a spot again and again. Get them playing drives into the covers and expect some runs off those overs. Then make sure there are a couple of your better fielders around short midwicket or closer, and if you have a big turning offie, once the batsman is set and hitting fours through the covers, turn a big one into middle stump from outside off if he can. Try to make him understand that this is used only as a scare tactic and should not insist on bowling them once an over. This, if it doesn't get you the wicket, should put doubt in the batsman's mind, they will be waiting for the big turning one and not likely to play full blooded drives to some of the good bouncing pies being tossed up. Then get him to every few balls toss in some off breaks, but not big turning, and backspinners and arm balls, getting the drift, little bit of swing maybe, getting some darting backspinners in at the stumps that don't bounce and generally start varying it up, but ensuring that top spinners outside off stump is the stock delivery and not to vary too much. If you don't get your wicket soon while tinkering with the field ever so slightly as patterns wear through, then change your tactic. Shock tactic here is the key to work over a batsman with pies to be dispatched once he gets used to it, and then the very SUDDEN change. Gets most club batsman.

There are more but I see I have typed too much once again.

I don't think so at all - I reckon the depth and detail of the answers and the obvious commitment to the sport on this forum is top notch and far better than any of the other Mickey Mouse forums I've looked at. No-one takes the piss and generally everyone tries to help each other out and I reckon once again Boris your answer is brilliant.

bboy0001;378193 said:

Try to work out why he's getting smashed. Is he over confident from the wicket, nervous, excited etc.

It may be that he needs to settle down after taking the wicket, get back into his groove.

someblokecalleddave;378284 said:
I don't think so at all - I reckon the depth and detail of the answers and the obvious commitment to the sport on this forum is top notch and far better than any of the other Mickey Mouse forums I've looked at. No-one takes the piss and generally everyone tries to help each other out and I reckon once again Boris your answer is brilliant.

Thanks dave :)

Do you have anything for leggies and their tactics?

No I'm a learner still so I can't really say a lot with regards captaincy and Wrist Spinning. I think at the minute I do better under far more experienced captains especially if they themselves bowl spin or are appreciative of spin which fortunately in my team seems to be the case as there's so many of us. The better of the captains that I've played under is a Chinaman bowler and he goes as far as protecting your figures, he soon has me pulled out of a situation if he senses that it's going away from me, whereas others have let me bowl myself into bad figures.

From my perspective if you're a captain and you completely ignore the potential for wrist spinners in your team as a potential attacking aspect to your team you're missing a trick. Although having said that it's up to the spinners to be seen to be putting the hours in getting their game right. There's a balance to be had, if there is someone that's in a team and they are up for it and they bowl wrist spin they have to be given a chance to bowl in a real game and the fail badly - but then they have to be seen to be determined to rectify that bad game and to come back a week later or two weeks and try again. If you're a wrist spinner - you're going to get smashed in your early days a lot and you're going to be aware of the fact that you will be losing your team the match in some situations but you've got to bounce back and the captain has got to be able to spot the ones that are determined and will come through in the end as ulitimately when they do get it right we all know the outcome.

It's a long and lonely road as a wrist spinner and you need the support of your captain.

Really I think it is harder for a good offie to come through. Leggies are generally more scarce so if one comes up they are normally half decent at least. Offies in the upper grades have a lot of competition and to captain one is a fairly hard job because they aren't spectacular, you often have to set some boring fields and get nowhere with them.

I myself have never captained a leggie because I'm the team spinner and the only guy that bowls legspin in our team is a batsman and we try to stear clear of him. If you do have a wrist spinner in your team, and they are decent, you are very lucky and if you even do so much as not give him a bowl when he thinks its right, most likely you are an idiot. Wrist spinners bowl quite often when they want to. Offies are different, but them on to a defensive field and they will keep the runs down, or give them an attacking field and go for the wicket, they can try at any time to anyone, to any success rate. Leggies have to be treated carefully because they are the teams most precious resource after your best batsman. If they don't want to bowl at a time, its most likely because it would be bad to bowl them then. Protect their figures, by doing that you know you are bowling them at the right time or not. If you let their figures get into a bad state, you have bowled them too long. If you haven't given them a chance then you have haven't bowled them enough.

Leggies set their own fields with the captains input after, the opposite to normal. Give an offie a field and off you go, let the legspinner choose his own field and away you go.

This is all dependant on your spinner too, some leggies prefer to bowl to a set field, but give them the choice.

bboy0001;377216 said:
yeah but the thing is in junior cricket you cant really back your bowlers, there is the odd short ball on leg side that gets hammered on leg side.

This is it! This is where your real captaincy skill and believe in a player comes. A good captain always brings the best out of his side. Remember, for that bowler you are his mentor when you are in the game. No matter if he bowls one bad ball or even one whole over. You should just give a pat on his back. This will make him much lighter. Believe in him...that will bring the best out of him too for he will soon realize how much his captain is trusting him with the ball.

Idealy speaking,though a Captain is to guide the team to victory but at times have to play multiple roles depending on match situations & also individuals associated in the team.

Personally, gaining the respect & trust of your players is paramount to ensure that they listen & also execute your plans by giving their best for you & the team!Knowing a player personally & socially ,always helps.I try to treat the players as brothers of my extended family.

Team building is like a family affair whilst you might need to pamper a few,be stern with a few,ignore a few & also make a few feel as if they are very important & crucial member of the team ! But all along keeping in perspective the team's agenda & goals is very crucial.

At times,performances on field might not reflect the involvement,talent & also the committment a person showcases.There would be times when performances would be great yet the person might not be putting in his best.Thats the time the cpataincy skills shones through by understanding each one's strength & also ensuring that the morale of the person is sustained.The process of preparation,involvement,team s pirit is what matters!

When a player knows & feel that the captain trusts him & alsa has full faith in his abilities,the committment & performance of the players improves tremendously most often! At times,a calming hug or hands over the shoulder is enough & there are times when the captain has to lead by example in on field beahviour & performance!

Such personal management skills always have a long term effect than a mere fleeting moment on the field.It's almost blissful to see players whom you back as a captain evolve to be a key contributor to the team's wins & also grow as a person!

So the golden rules are :
  1. Always respect individuals & treat them as mature,responsible -winners
  2. Never shout,scream or criticise any player in public or front of others.You could do it silently ,if you need to in person when you are in a private chat .
  3. Always sound positive & be positive
  4. Think long term rather than one bad over or innings of fielding
  5. Invest & back new/talented players by providing lot of opportunities in different match situations!
  6. Give credit to the team & appreicate team spirit!
Rest, enjoy the fruits of all these bear fruits...

So the golden rules are :
  1. Always respect individuals & treat them as mature,responsible -winners
  2. Never shout,scream or criticise any player in public or front of others.You could do it silently ,if you need to in person when you are in a private chat .
  3. Always sound positive & be positive
  4. Think long term rather than one bad over or innings of fielding
  5. Invest & back new/talented players by providing lot of opportunities in different match situations!
  6. Give credit to the team & appreciate team spirit!

Also be inclusive, every player must feel they are needed and have a role in the team.

only 3 years late but i've been the captain of my under17 team for 2 years and was the captain of my under15 side before that.

i open the bowling with one of my bestmates for my team and we are both very different bowlers. he's a reasonable left arm swing bowler (natural innies with occasional one the other way) and to right handers with him i usually go 1 1/2 slip, gully, point, short cover point, genuine cover, short midoff, midon, midwicket and backward square leg,
i'm a tall bowler who swings it back in but nips away (dunno how btw) into the righthanders but rely on bounce and pace mainly so i usually have for me 2 slips, gully, backward point, short cover, midoff, mid on, short midwicket and backward square leg.

but as captaincy tips go, i reckon if your bowlers are good enough, the captain picks the bowlers and the bowler sets the field. also, one thing i like to go by: you can't set fields for bad bowling

only 3 years late but i've been the captain of my under17 team for 2 years and was the captain of my under15 side before that.

i open the bowling with one of my bestmates for my team and we are both very different bowlers. he's a reasonable left arm swing bowler (natural innies with occasional one the other way) and to right handers with him i usually go 1 1/2 slip, gully, point, short cover point, genuine cover, short midoff, midon, midwicket and backward square leg,
i'm a tall bowler who swings it back in but nips away (dunno how btw) into the righthanders but rely on bounce and pace mainly so i usually have for me 2 slips, gully, backward point, short cover, midoff, mid on, short midwicket and backward square leg.

but as captaincy tips go, i reckon if your bowlers are good enough, the captain picks the bowlers and the bowler sets the field. also, one thing i like to go by: you can't set fields for bad bowling

On the contrary, if you know your bowlers are going to bowl badly, you would be a fool not to set a field for it. Not much point having a row of slips if the batsmen is merrily dispatching longhops through midwicket.

On the contrary, if you know your bowlers are going to bowl badly, you would be a fool not to set a field for it. Not much point having a row of slips if the batsmen is merrily dispatching longhops through midwicket.

if you know your bowlers are going to bowl badly, you wouldn't bring them on i would think.

Back