Challenger Trophy

mas cambios

Challenger Trophy

Has anyone been following this? Seems like there are some great talents in Indian cricket but at the moment I really don't who to pick out, will have more of an idea after the trophy finishes.

Re: Challenger Trophy

I believe today was the first match between India Blue and India Red. Raina was clearly the standout performer with the bat while Praveen Kumar put up a good all round performance. India Blue managed to win in the end by 12 runs.

The problem is that Kumar, Joginder and Bose will never be taken seriously as bowlers at international level, no matter how well they do at domestic level because they are not quick enough. The three of them struggle to hit 125kph consistantly.

If they are young enough then they may have the chance to improve their pace, but if they are over 25 it's probably a dead loss unless they can find something else.

What is the batting talent like?

Joginder has been given a few chances and hes not good enough. he hasnt had opportunity to bat but we have much more talented batsmen than him. Im disappointed with sehwag.

Man, what is this all about? I really am missing out on something.

So, you like get non-test players to play against each other every year, like a trial thing, yeah?

Crazy, you lot have too many to pick from. Gnarly, but crazy.

India Blue have won the Challenger Trophy thanks to a brilliant 100 by Dinesh Karthik. After being left out of the squad for the first two games against Pakistan he's done quite well in the last two matches. Suresh Raina has been the other batsman who has been outstanding. They might earn a recall soon.

Its just a tournament. If sehwag doesnt perform in 2 games then I think the selectors will give Raina or Karthik another chance. I think Karthik should be given another chance at number 5 or 6 not at 3. We have better batsman at number 3 to take advantage of powerplay.

Almost_Austwick said:
What is the batting talent like?

There is Sehwag who is just as inconsistant in List A cricket as ODI cricket. Suresh Raina averages over 60 in domestic List A cricket, his only problem was stepping it up to the quicker bowlers and increased pressure of international cricket.

Dinesh Karthik is very hit and miss at domestic one day level, he will hit a quick 50 one day and score ducks the next. The ducks far outweigh the fifties though and is the reason for his low average.

Subramanium Badrinath is a classical batsman who usually scores reasonably slowly (SR of about 70) but with an average over 40, he is one of the top contenders for future selection.

Yusuf Pathan is of the Afridi mould of player - slogger and handy spinner. It is usually six and out with him and the reason for his strike rate of over 100. But with Sehwag who can do the job of an agressive swashbuckling hitter, I doubt Yusuf will get into the team.

Mohammad Kaif has done it year and year out for Utter Pradesh but never scored quite heavily enough to warrent another chance in the team. He is thoroughly a back-up act and should not be trialed for selection - especially considering he is in wretched form currently and at the age of 26 and 332 days, I do not feel he is a good present or future prospect.

The new kid on the block so to speak is Manoj Tiwary and is being hyped as 'the next big thing'. At 21 (almost 22), there are a few younger than him (e.g. Raina) but he has just burst onto the scene as of the last two years. He top scored in the Ranji Trophy (4 day competition), averaging at 99.50 in his 10 innings with 3 scores over 150. In ODI cricket, he does not score nearly as heavily, averaging a mediocre 35.09 but striking at 87.23 runs per 100 balls. Not likely to be called up any time soon, he will have a whole domestic season ahead of him for Bengal to prove himself in both forms of the game.

I think raina has improved. He was very young when he came first but now he should get another chance. we also need to give badrinath and rohit sharma more opportunity but we need more talented bowlers we cant play with 10 batsman.

well thats stupid you get what 3 or 4 matches in some tournament to be in contention for selection? i can understand why domestic cricket isnt popular in india its a poor system.

Mike111 said:
well thats stupid you get what 3 or 4 matches in some tournament to be in contention for selection? i can understand why domestic cricket isnt popular in india its a poor system.

Your wrong there. This is not the criterion for selection. This is merely a test for those who have performed at Ranji Trophy One Day level and the zonal one day competition whose name escapes me. Traditionally, this would contain the Indian first team and so this is a test of how players respond at a high level of competition.

Indian domestic structure is rubbish though.

i dont understand why dravid was dropped and they brought in sehwag. sehwag didnt really perform well in the challenger trophy. im sure that he'll fail to get a spot again.

I assume that they are thinking of the future, it looks like Dravid is being phased out of the one day squad.

I agree with deer. if they replace dravid then they should give a youngster chances. sehwag does not deserve chances.

Rohitpatel said:
I agree with deer. if they replace dravid then they should give a youngster chances. sehwag does not deserve chances.

It is hardly crazy to pick an explosive batsman on pitches likely to produce 300 scores. The problem is that he is not in form.

manee said:
It is hardly crazy to pick an explosive batsman on pitches likely to produce 300 scores. The problem is that he is not in form.
that is the problem if hes not in form theres no point of picking him.

Back