Champions Trophy has been postponed

jimmy33

Champions Trophy has been postponed

This just in

After a teleconference between board members on Sunday, the ICC have postponed to 2009 the Champions Trophy that was due to be held in Pakistan in 19 days' time.
With South Africa already opting out of the tournament, and Australia, New Zealand and England players all publicly nervous about touring Pakistan, there was a concern of cricket reaching a contentious split if the tournament was cancelled. This was aggravated with India pledging their support to Pakistan.
However, the ICC have at least appeased Pakistan for the time being in choosing not to cancel the competition entirely but postponing it until next year. The question, though, is when to hold the tournament next year - there is no window in the FTP till at least October, when there is a possibility of the Champions League being played.

From Cricinfo, and it seems there is more to come

Re: Champions Trophy has been postponed

There were talks about it being moved to Sri Lanka and the broadcasters were ready for that. I wonder why they didn't go ahead with that instead. Also, what is to say that the conditions in Pakistan will improve in 2009.

Their has been a series of Bom blast in Pakistan from last few weeks and that has added more concern among the players so the teams will be reluctant to play in Pakistan.
But the surprising part is that ICC is not able to take a stand on it as it is not prepared to deal with such scenario.
Hopefully in near future they have some kind of guideliness to avois delay for any major tournaments.
Also the people of Pakistan will be devastated if the CT are shifted or cancelled as they will be looking forward to the same.

Didn't expect that. Just thought it would be moved, but hopefully pakistan will sort out its problems so it can go ahead next year.

You can say that again Jonesy!! To be honest, I can't see the Champions Trophy recovering from this with T20 threatening it too. They should scrap it and use the time to free up the Future Tours programme.

agree...they should scrap the CT and meaningless one day series (like the one Ind-Aus 7 ODI series).

I just think it is hypocritcal for players to complain about security in Pakistan when many of those same players were still playing in Jaipur despite bombings occurring a few days prior. It comes down to an unwillingness to tour for cultural biases, the safety thing is just a front.

I think the CT should be replaced by the T20 World Cup. It wont happen though, at least not before 2015 as they have already sold the TV broadcast rights for it.

AB;29408 said:
I think the CT should be replaced by the T20 World Cup. It wont happen though, at least not before 2015 as they have already sold the TV broadcast rights for it.

It's all about the money really, the ICC don't seem to care about much else.

Money is important but the ICC is pretty short sighted.

Back