Channel 10's Play For Australian Cricket Tv Rights

Kram81

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/634611.html

Personally I wouldn't be all that upset if this happened. Rubbish commentators, shameless cross promotion of crap 9 TV shows and the flogging of junk memorabilia it's now sunk to its lowest level ever. Surely 10 couldn't do much worse? With Bill and Tony gone with Ritchie a step behind the younger commentators now left are mostly clowns. A change in channels could give international broadcasting in Australia a fresh start.

Not happy about the BigBash leaving Fox though, their domestic coverage was very good IMO.

Hard to tell, remember that 9 has the last word rights to the contract and i don't see them letting it go unless Murdock can make a smart play to sell off the bigbash to fox to support the cost of a winning bid. It would be refreshing to get a new outlook on the game. Remember the ashes series that SBS had when that monumental struggle took place, That coverage made 9 look very sad and majorly over commercial. Really the cricket has now become secondary to 9's maketing program.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/634611.html
Not happy about the BigBash leaving Fox though, their domestic coverage was very good IMO.
Is it leaving Fox Sports completely? I wasn't aware of this. I just assumed they were going to do a split free-to-air/Foxtel thing like the NRL and (from next year) the A-League. I'm not a subscriber, but of the very few games I saw, I was actually really impressed with how the tournament was themed and presented.

Based on Channel 10's recent history with sporting rights, however, I hold grave fears that if they win the rights, they'll botch the coverage. They haven't done anything with the IPL rights for the last two seasons, and even prior to that, their coverage of the tournament was pretty poor and was stained by the overuse of the panel with "experts" Bill Woods and Ryan Campbell. I fear the BBL will be exactly the same: minimal coverage of games (less than four or five per week), probably not live, and with little hype and atmosphere. The internationals during the summer should be alright, but I don't think it'll be the refreshing change for which some people are hoping.

Is it leaving Fox Sports completely? I wasn't aware of this. I just assumed they were going to do a split free-to-air/Foxtel thing like the NRL and (from next year) the A-League. I'm not a subscriber, but of the very few games I saw, I was actually really impressed with how the tournament was themed and presented.

Oh you are probably right.

looks like nine are going to dig their grave deeper and pay out for the test and one day cricket with 10 picking up the T20. All a bit odd really but i am sure cricket Australia are not complaining about the money

Back