City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 09/10

No piss taken, but it's not life or death so i certainly wont take a blog page to seriously.

Recruiting is a tough gig unless there is serious money to go around (money for park cricket confuses me enough), we do however recruit very well through out our mid and lower grades as is represented this weekend. CSCC takes a grass roots development approach and while the guys that represent the 1sts may be less than competitive from time to time they are a tight unit that work together and will reach their goals.

Dropping the competition from 12 to 10 teams is just an elitist attitude, not to mention being short sited in terms of the good of the CMCA.

Good blogging though. Entertaining and informative.

Well said Sugar would have to completely agree, the year Uniting won the flag we came from 2nd last were we just avoided relegation in the last round and 13months later we were PREMIERS........

Quilton to say next season should be 10 sides straight away is a little far fetched, clubs and the association need time. You need to give all clubs notice of when the change would occur.

Lets say it did happen for next season and CSCC got relegated when they should clearly stay up, then i know this sounds extreme and silly but they have the position to take further action against the association. Some clubs can be effected greatly by demotion through sponsorship deals, the departure of players etc etc........

It can't happen and won't happen not in the foreseeable future anyway.

You can't argue that this season has not had a number of twist and turns. The finals were not decided right up until the last round, as it has been for the past three seasons. Kingston Heath looked doomed for relegation for most of the season, but were able to hold their nerve and ended up in 10th spot managing to edge out Carnegie South for 11th spot on the ladder. Interest in the competition was maintained right up to the last match too see whether the Wash Ups could survive, whilst there was an intense battle for 4th spot, between Omega and West Bentleigh, and the Hoops and Mackie fought out second spot. Why would we want to change the system? The last four teams promoted from Woolnough to Longmuir, are still presently Le Page, Carnegie South, West Bentleigh and Kingston Heath, and there will be a further addition with either Hampton Central or Moorabbin West taking their place in Longmuir. Seems to me that there is an elitist element trying to manipulate the competition for reasons only known to themselves. Meanwhile the Juggernaut prepare for their 21st Grand Final appearance in the past 30 years, which is a phenomenal effort and rankles many within the competition at the apparent inability to stem this tide. Perhaps the people that are trying to push this change through should concentrate on improving the performance and standings of their respective clubs rather than trying to change the structure of a competition that works quite well.

Where's Merl gone? Unsighted since his beloved C's folded like a cheap suit in the preliminary final. Heard from a very reliable source that 2 of their key players (an opening bat and an opening bowler) let the lads down considerably. One took the weekend off to spend time studying and the other to spend time with a lovely lady friend who'd just returned from OS. Pretty disappointing way to end a great year for them.

Uncle Mick,

Have been a bit busy with a few special projects and am running out of time to put the finishing touches on the Merlot / Horlicks trophy although Jimmy has confused me as Vinnie was in last Sunday I think as I only caught the tail end of the show.he originally told me presentation day was this Sunday.Jimmy please explain!!

Was very disappointed with Merl's own Cluden but Burger and the identikits were simply too good and Barrack and Co have done the wrong thing putting it on at political nightmare park when the oasis would have been perfect.

Good to see Merl's General Marshall took home charlie but very disappointed that the white Murali got one too when he should have been rubbed out yet again but someone obviously offered hamburgler & co a Big Mac and a six pack of coke and that was the end of it.

I am also formulating a reply to those doomdayers re the 10 team comp which Merl has a few views on and remembers fondly the massive debate in years gone by where our lop sided comp has been held back as parocial club interests ( including some of the BCF's very own ) stopped something that could only improve and strengthen the comp.It will never happen while Barrack and his short sighted henchmen are in charge.

Well uncle Mick it is getting to the stage where the winter blues will set in and it will be you and me talking to each other while all the summer bears go into hibernation.

Will be back soon

until next time .... keep searching........ vino sipping poster.... Prof Merlot

After the sweet one and ol' blue eyes pulled out there was Golden Tonsils Olsen, The Panther Pres and myself manning the fort on Sunday, Merl. Vinnie sent a text through with details of the Omega 1 day result from the previous week which might be where you tuned in.
No word on the 2 lads who gave up a chance at a Woolnough GF to study and spend time with the missus? I would've thought you'd have been able to confirm this for us.

Merlot, I have no problem with the Juggernaut hosting the final as they deserve it since they finished on top.Moorabbin West in their third Grand Final has put in the hard yards and yet to host a Grand Final.They finished on top, and deserved the opportunity to host the final as Chelsea Heights is doing in the Quiney Shield final. Hampton Central in D grade should be allowed to play at their home ground as they finished higher on the ladder, and again would generate much needed income for their club and irrespective of the result in the Wooly final they could then arrange a huge function afterwards with everything in place, rather than having to scurry back to their rooms and set up.

This obsession with playing the 'big games' at Hurlingham is annoying.The rationale that it is the best ground in the competition is a view held by a minority, and only because of its size.The condition of the ground is ordinary at best, and yet Packer Reserve does not even come into calculations which is just as big as Hurlingham, but it is convenient to ignore them. Clubs which finish in higher spots deserve to host finals as it generates much needed revenue for them.Instead the money is funnelled to the Hoops, where no doubt a few more players will just happen to pop in and decide to play.It is wrong and the clubs should press this point otherwise we will have this farcial situation occuring every year.

Next season we will see a revamped Victory Park, which is in magnificent condition, Highett West which again is looking fantastic and then King George which is getting a complete make over.Every ground excluding Lords reserve will be of excellent standard, and no excuses should be made. If a ground is good enough to host the home and away rounds then they it is good enough to host a final.

Couldn't agree more with that. My only question is were Moorabbin West offered to play the final at home? I'm pretty sure ESBC & Mackie were both given a choice of Chisholm or Hurly and both agreed to play it at Chisholm. I'd like to think that Moorabbin West were afforded the same opportunity rather than the CMCA assigning the 2nd grade the 2nd choice.

Merl, if the OB is happy to present on Sunday we are happy to perform award ceremony this week. I'm with Clock on the 10 team situation, cut a season to 9 games, don't get a hit for a couple and a wash out and suddendly plenty of blokes getting 6 hits per season. Things always must be given time to sort themselves out although admittedly the divide between the good, bad & ugly has been status quo for a long time. On the grounds, the philosophy is to go on best grounds for prelim & gf which is a sound theory although the "played on em all year" theory contains merit also. Not so surer Mackie were rapt to be heading back to The Dunk. Unc, zero chance Westars were offered home deck for GF.

Jimmy Olson;393658 said:
Merl, if the OB is happy to present on Sunday we are happy to perform award ceremony this week. I'm with Clock on the 10 team situation, cut a season to 9 games, don't get a hit for a couple and a wash out and suddendly plenty of blokes getting 6 hits per season. Things always must be given time to sort themselves out although admittedly the divide between the good, bad & ugly has been status quo for a long time. On the grounds, the philosophy is to go on best grounds for prelim & gf which is a sound theory although the "played on em all year" theory contains merit also. Not so surer Mackie were rapt to be heading back to The Dunk. Unc, zero chance Westars were offered home deck for GF.

What about the bowlers, Bunt? It's already a batsman's game enough as it is without you banging on about them being hard done by with a shortened season.

For the record, I like the idea of a 10 team competition to eliminate the 1 day games and whilst there's merit in bridging the gap between the current grades by dropping a couple back, I'm not convinced it will improve the standard of the competition. There's been some good arguments for both sides to date, but personally if it ain't broke......

I think that there's always going to be poorer sides in each grade but they've got to be given a chance to improve. If a side barely avoids relegation in Longmuir, as someone always does, then they should given the chance to improve the next season rather than being relegated.
1 up 1 down each year seems logical.
We, Le Page, have been back up for 3 years now, the 1st season we won 3 games, then won 4, this year we won 5. And beat Omega (who were 2nd) & Brighton Union (3rd)easily.
As Uncle said....if it aint broke...

A Merlot Exclusive,

The Irish Mountain range who masquerades as the jelly coach has been rubbed out of the big dance after some Llyod Bridges type comments to the political nightmares.Is seems the cricket gods have eventually caught up with him after his disgracefull performnce at Wallet Park some years back!!!

Also where is Sugar in providing the details of the Judges appeal being thrown out the window?It appears Hamburgler's mob have finally got tough but it is a month too late as the white Murali gets to play in another GF he doesn't desrve to be in.

Uncle Mick,

While Merl got on the cluden bandwagon very early I have no link or affiliation with the rising stars and my usual sources have provided me with no woman on the tram stuff to back up your impeccable source.Merl spreads his links far and wide and even without a photo identikit get's into many clubs and places to sniff out the big stories!!

until next time..... keep searching.....vino sipping poster..... Prof Merlot

Merlot,

We've been keeping a low profile over this to minimise our chances of a negative decision, but alas the powers that be chose to support the tribunal & umpires, which they did.

Cedric Jansz has played first eleven cricket for over 30 years and his animated discussions (no swearing required) with opposition players on the field is well known. Round 11 was no different, but the umpire in charge decided to make an issue of it. Whether this was to make up for some embarassing blunders while in charge of the game, who knows? In the end he was reported, as well as the Judge for being unable to control his player. Both got 2 matches. Cedric took his medicine to support his captain, whose penalty we chose to challenge, purely because Cedric's report was innocuous, and after several attempts throughout the day the umpire still refused to believe that Mikko had done enough in trying to control a 49yo man. Favourable support from Kingston Heath was still not enough to sway the appeals tribunal, and in the end we see the largest penalties for the season (outside of the Melbourne Wanderers brain explosion) handed down to two players simply over creative discussion in play, and the first time a captain has fallen on the sword with his player.

The precedent has now been set, the umpires have made a stand, so let's see how they respond to more fiery & abusive sledging and intimidatory behaviour that some other clubs have built their reputations with over the past few years. This weekend might be a case in point.

Is it true that during the course of the original hearing a comment was made by one of the tribunal members: 'You knew what he(Jansz) was like, so why did you select him'? Since when is it the purview of a tribunal member to question the selection of any player in the CMCA? Was he alluding to (Jansz) previous tribunal record, or general behaviour or was in fact alluding to his mental state? Furthermore, this tribunal member demonstrated his ignorance by assuming that the Captain actually selects the team, and based on his naïve comment one must surmise that he held the Judge solely responsible for the selection of a 300 game veteran who had been in good form to play possibly one last Longmuir match with his son.

If it is true that this comment was made by a tribunal member, the hearing should have been immediately terminated and the tribunal member in question replaced.It is like a Magistrate asking a defendant if he has stopped beating his wife yet, and then being allowed to continue with an assault hearing? The member has clearly demonstrated a bias and stated quite openly that he held a preconceived view about the previous behavior of the player charged with misconduct.

The matter should have been thrown out or at the very least a fresh hearing conducted.

YUK! I sincerely hope that the above is not true.

Tips for the weekend.....
ESBC
Hampton Central
Washington Park - for no reason other than the romance of his old side being the first to win the Quiney Shield.
Hampton Central
Kingston Heath
Chelt Park
Carnegie Sth
Melb Wanderers
Beaumaris
Omega

Clocker, you know too much. You must have access to the mysterious minutes which the CMCA member present at the hearing promised to provide... but never allowed anyone to see.

Evening All,

SCFTC

Mackie
Moo West
Wash Park
Hampton Central
Kingston Heath
Chelt Park
Carnegie Sth
Melb Wanderers
Beaumaris
Omega

Some very interesting topics Merl still hasn't got time to comment on.

until next time.....vino sipping poster......Prof Merlot

East Sandy
Centrals
Chelsea
Centrals
Kingston Heath
Chelt Park
Carnegie South
Wanderers
Kingston Heath
Omega

CLOCKER;393993 said:
Is it true that during the course of the original hearing a comment was made by one of the tribunal members: 'You knew what he(Jansz) was like, so why did you select him'? Since when is it the purview of a tribunal member to question the selection of any player in the CMCA? Was he alluding to (Jansz) previous tribunal record, or general behaviour or was in fact alluding to his mental state? Furthermore, this tribunal member demonstrated his ignorance by assuming that the Captain actually selects the team, and based on his naïve comment one must surmise that he held the Judge solely responsible for the selection of a 300 game veteran who had been in good form to play possibly one last Longmuir match with his son.

If it is true that this comment was made by a tribunal member, the hearing should have been immediately terminated and the tribunal member in question replaced.It is like a Magistrate asking a defendant if he has stopped beating his wife yet, and then being allowed to continue with an assault hearing? The member has clearly demonstrated a bias and stated quite openly that he held a preconceived view about the previous behavior of the player charged with misconduct.

The matter should have been thrown out or at the very least a fresh hearing conducted.

I have no idea of the details of this case (other than what i read above) but would like to say that irrespective of this case I'm glad a captain has eventually been suspended. When this captain reporting rule came in i think it worked well as a scare tactic but now with no captain actually being suspended no-one seems to care about it anymore as they believe it to be a farce. Hopefully this will send the right message to all players.

On the same note i was interested to note that when our bloke copped 7 matches his captain was told that had it not been for a administration blunder by the umpire he would have been suspended as well, so it has obviously been on the agenda.

Good luck to all playing in the big dance this weekend

My tips for the weekend

Mackie
Westars
Washups
ANA
Kingston Heath
Chelsea Heights
Carnegie south
Highett
Beaumaris