Competition audit/discussion

How often do you visit the fantasy board?

• Total voters

Ljp86

Staff member
Competition audit/discussion

Now that the season has finished, we can get down to the schematics of the BigCricket Fantasy Cricket League and start working out what we can do to improve the competition for season three.

Obviously this season was not successful, the main reason being we struggled to find a simmer who had regular access to the site late in the season. This then lead to a significant reduction in posting and a lot of posters lost interest with the big delays in games. Our first step is to find an administrator who can commit to the competition and start threads/post games or day's play on a regular basis. But first I want to find out how many posters we have in this comp and what the posting rates are. I've put some descriptions of what type of poster we have here, please decide what type you are and then rank yourself by voting in the thread poll.

Very Frequent: Visits daily and posts more than once per day. Posts before and after each game in the one-dayers and after each day's play in the tests.

Frequent: Visit daily and posts daily. Posts at least once (but usually more) in game threads.

Occasional: Visits every second day or so and posts at least two or three times per week. Will usually post in each game thread.

Sporadic: Visits at least once per week but usually posts once a week or less. May not posts in every game thread.

Rare: Visits every fortnight usually but posts once once every month, sometimes less.

Seldom: Hasn't visited in more than six weeks and hasn't posted for more than two months.

Suggestions for the new season are welcomed with regards to length, games, number of teams etc. All opinions will be listened to so if you have something to say or you've got an idea then please post it up in here.

Also, we are also looking for a new administrator. Administrators from last season are most welcome to apply as well as those who run other comps or would like to have a crack at it for the first time. Remember though, comp admins need to be able to commit 100% to the role.

Re: Competition audit/discussion

Missed the poll LJP. You might want to throw that in.

And I'd like to apologise for the way this season turned out. It hasn't been ideal the way it's turned out, but it's been a tough year for me. To those who have hung around thank-you.

I'd probably be in the 'occasional' category in that I visit every day but if there's nothing going on, I don't post. I think that was the case with a lot of players. I'm not going to post just to get my post count up. I have, however, tried to keep a team going for some years now beginning with the maggies.

Unless a simmer can be found that can keep things moving and on time then the future is bleak. This year was a disaster and it's little wonder posters deserted.

Used to be daily, but became once or twice a week.

The running of the competition is paramount.

It takes a lot of time.

Whoever runs it MUST be made an administrator too.

Mousey;380792 said:
Missed the poll LJP. You might want to throw that in.

:eek:

Sorry guys, forgot the poll, I've added one in now. Please make sure you all vote so we can look at the range of posting we are getting.

Mousey said:
And I'd like to apologise for the way this season turned out. It hasn't been ideal the way it's turned out, but it's been a tough year for me. To those who have hung around thank-you.

It's mostly not your fault mate. I think you've done a reasonable job despite what has happened. School and stuff outside BigCricket is always going to take priority over a fantasy cricket game.

Frodo27;380816 said:
Used to be daily, but became once or twice a week.

The running of the competition is paramount.

It takes a lot of time.

Whoever runs it MUST be made an administrator too.

You mean whoever runs it should become a moderator? A "spec mod" position like the one you were given over at BigFooty would be adequate in my opinion.

Ljp86;380832 said:
:eek:

You mean whoever runs it should become a moderator? A "spec mod" position like the one you were given over at BigFooty would be adequate in my opinion.

No,full admin rights over the board

As I said earlier, the competition runner is the key to the competition. If done well it will succeed. If done badly it will fail.

In business you let managers manage, same should go here. No need for any higher power involvement unless things go wrong.

I'm happy to have a crack at running it in the new year. However I will need someone to show me how it all works. Without games being posted no one will come on here because nothing ever happens. All you have to do is look at our last 4 games this season it taken over 11 weeks to finish far to long!
I think Mas had a good answer in trying a shorter season maybe more 1 day games? We have a lot of work to do to get posters keen again.

Frodo27;380855 said:

As I said earlier, the competition runner is the key to the competition. If done well it will succeed. If done badly it will fail.

In business you let managers manage, same should go here. No need for any higher power involvement unless things go wrong.

The best you'd get is mod powers as they can be board-specific. Admin powers cover the whole site and can't be made specific.

Frodo27;380855 said:

Put it this way - what 'powers' above and beyond those given to a moderator would be needed? Mods can do all of the usual post editing/deletion stuff, check (basic) member details, give yellow/red cards and so on.

Suspected sock accounts are dealt with automatically as are IP adresses. The only thing that a mod of the fantasy may lack is the ability to mass email members via the control panel.

As the mods will hopefully confirm I tend to let people organise and run the areas they mod as they see fit. Guidelines are in place for a bit of consistency but generally it's their call. So, to take the business analogy as you used it, anyone taking over will be in full control with the power to do what they think is right. Although just like in any company communication is expected especially if drastic changes are planned.

Finally, I'd really like to see feedback on how long people think the season should last. Personally, I think it's currently too long but I know that others have said it needs to be a certain length to give all teams a chance. Any suggestions or thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

mas cambios;380894 said:
Put it this way - what 'powers' above and beyond those given to a moderator would be needed? Mods can do all of the usual post editing/deletion stuff, check (basic) member details, give yellow/red cards and so on.

Suspected sock accounts are dealt with automatically as are IP adresses. The only thing that a mod of the fantasy may lack is the ability to mass email members via the control panel.

As the mods will hopefully confirm I tend to let people organise and run the areas they mod as they see fit. Guidelines are in place for a bit of consistency but generally it's their call. So, to take the business analogy as you used it, anyone taking over will be in full control with the power to do what they think is right. Although just like in any company communication is expected especially if drastic changes are planned.

Finally, I'd really like to see feedback on how long people think the season should last. Personally, I think it's currently too long but I know that others have said it needs to be a certain length to give all teams a chance. Any suggestions or thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

That's fair enough, moderator works fine as long as other moderators or administrators can't interfere. I had that situation on BFFCL where another moderator was messing with threads.
The power to yellow or red card is the important bit a spec mod doesn't have. Without it control can be lost.
I made the mistake on BFFCL of playing 36 one dayers. The one day game is a killer to who is runnning it. You do the same work for both forms but with tests you just cut and paste for four days. OD's mean setting up and simming for each game, and one a week makes it a boring week.

Ideally you need 3 competition admins. Tests, OD's and 20/20. Play a test one week and a OD + 20/20 the next week.

But I doubt it would happen. One admin would delay a game and the whole thing would be in strife.

I must admit to having thoughts about playing tests only. Keeps the season reasonably short and gets enough games in. Maintains interest as something is always going on. Also tactically more interesting.

But never pass on the sim. The results become farcical.

Frodo27;380915 said:
That's fair enough, moderator works fine as long as other moderators or administrators can't interfere. I had that situation on BFFCL where another moderator was messing with threads.
The power to yellow or red card is the important bit a spec mod doesn't have. Without it control can be lost.
I made the mistake on BFFCL of playing 36 one dayers. The one day game is a killer to who is runnning it. You do the same work for both forms but with tests you just cut and paste for four days. OD's mean setting up and simming for each game, and one a week makes it a boring week.

Ideally you need 3 competition admins. Tests, OD's and 20/20. Play a test one week and a OD + 20/20 the next week.

But I doubt it would happen. One admin would delay a game and the whole thing would be in strife.

I must admit to having thoughts about playing tests only. Keeps the season reasonably short and gets enough games in. Maintains interest as something is always going on. Also tactically more interesting.

But never pass on the sim. The results become farcical.

Frodo27 if you have done this before is there any chance of you putting your hand up? I think we need someone that can take this by the balls and get the job done. As long as the games are posted when they are meant to be.

The Wizz;380917 said:
Frodo27 if you have done this before is there any chance of you putting your hand up? I think we need someone that can take this by the balls and get the job done. As long as the games are posted when they are meant to be.
Although autocratic management is successful, the perception is that management is team based.
That perception is orchestrated by the autocrat, in business anyhow.
I learned that many years ago in Japan.
Because there is a dominance of very young people here, it is doubtful if such ideology would prevail. This is despite the fact that we appear to be down to a limited number of posters who IMHO are representative of those who are interested in a fair game, rather than petty obstructionalism (add to usa dict.)
I must say that I'd rather not become an administrator of this competition, but if my peers determine that the competition will die otherwise, then I will deeply consider involvement.

Wizz, if you're keen to become admin for next season I suggest you get a copy of the sim and start practicing simming games, both tests and one-day matches. I would get in contact with Frodo or whoever else has the sim and get them to help you out initially.

Ljp86;381062 said:
Wizz, if you're keen to become admin for next season I suggest you get a copy of the sim and start practicing simming games, both tests and one-day matches. I would get in contact with Frodo or whoever else has the sim and get them to help you out initially.

I will pm Frodo and see if he can help me.

Ljp86;381062 said:

You are under pressure now Wizz Boy! Put your money where your mouth is.

I'll help out when you struggle.

cold case;381065 said:
You are under pressure no Wizz Boy! Put your money where your mouth is.

I'll help out when you struggle.

The more help we can get the better. We all know its gunna take alot of work to get it up and running again.

The Wizz;381067 said:
The more help we can get the better. We all know its gunna take alot of work to get it up and running again.

Good work. When is the first game Wizz?

cold case;381069 said:
Good work. When is the first game Wizz?

I think kick the new season off in February, that will give everyone a chance to get over Xmas. Plus it will give me time to learn what I'm doing. I was thinking maybe having like a trade thread where teams can try and poach new and old players to there team. might make it a bit more fun.

Once upon a time there was a large bull in a field on top of a hill. Alongside him was his son.
The young bull spotted some cows below.

"Hey dad" said the young bull, "let's run down the hill and screw a cow"

"No son" said the father, " lets walk down ansd screw them all"

So let's not rush into this. Let's discuss the competition and how we'd like it to be. There were heaps of good ideas before season 1.

With the administrator, let's make sure we get the choice right. Age, knowledge, computer access time, computer platform etc,. These things all matter.

I've always said before, multiple simmers IS the way to go. The only problem that does come up there is the management and storage of stats. One way to do it, is of course, pass around the sim after every round, but in a smart way. I did that with Mousey successfully I think till the rounds where I managed the league, and I think it came out pretty successful. Mousey can throw light on that.

The reason is because if someone is out sometime you NEED to have someone who can step in and take over, be it for whatever duration. This is exactly what shouldn't have happened when Jolldo left the site. The competition was in shatters for weeks as we had absolutely no access to the sim.

The other way, of course, is to have multiple simmers and do the stats after each game manually. I think this method is a waste of time though. It really doesn't take much long to zip up the sim folder and post it as an attachment in the mod board.

And of course, the PCPL is just about to finish and I've completed 90% of my bugfixes of CS09. I'd be willing to offer it as a sim of choice for the T20 format. :)

Back