Could a Woman play elite men's cricket?

Re: Could a Woman play elite men's cricket?

To me, this thread is not about looking at current women cricketers and assessing whether they could play FC cricket. It's saying theoretically, could a woman play FC cricket?

Women at the elite level have not received anywhere near the same levels of technical training and assistance that their male counterparts have. Similarly, they have not spent their whole careers playing against men, so they are not adjusted for the differences in the game. Because they do not currently perform at the elite men's standard does not mean they do not have the capacity to.

Really, I think that if a woman with the requisite talent went through the same development pathways as men, and played in the men's game her whole life, there is no reason why she couldn't be successful. If anyone thinks otherwise, I would be interested to hear why - that is, what inherent disadvantages does a woman possess that would prevent success?

I can only think of a relative lack of strength and height, and for the reasons I've pointed out I don't think that would be a significant obstacle in many roles.

Kram81;353143 said:
Well.. the Test player that scored the record 400 no was once bowled by a girl ;)

first of all he was stumped. and it wouldnt be diffcult to get out a player that is slogging, and batting without his head.

maybe not currenty, but one day. hopefully.
hope the womens game expands further.

when we bring up women facing the fastest bowlers in the world and this being a reason why they can't play elite cricket. I have one name to mention, Ian O'Brien (and the rest of New Zealand's tail).

gbatman;354032 said:
when we bring up women facing the fastest bowlers in the world and this being a reason why they can't play elite cricket. I have one name to mention, Ian O'Brien (and the rest of New Zealand's tail).

Such as? Mills can bat a bit, so can Southee and Gillespie has an ODI average of 15...

DoubleO7;354137 said:
Such as? Mills can bat a bit, so can Southee and Gillespie has an ODI average of 15...

i recon there could be women out there who could bat as well or better than Ian.

yeah and monkeys can bat better than chris martin, doesn't mean they are u[ to the international standard of cricket

gbatman;354032 said:

Could they bowl at an international standard? You are trying to compare female batters against male tail enders who are not picked for their batting skills.

You need to compare batters against batters and bowlers against bowlers.

namdarb;354344 said:
Could they bowl at an international standard? You are trying to compare female batters against male tail enders who are not picked for their batting skills.

You need to compare batters against batters and bowlers against bowlers.

if you put in a good all rounder, as the australian women's team seem to have a couple of, then they could bowl plus bat down the bottom order. there wouldnt be much pressure for them to score the runs, but when they do it will be an added bonus which may win a game. this way you are combining their talents to the fullest of their capabilities, its no use selecting a top order batsman from the womens side and putting them down the order. its probably not much use either selecting a bowler who is no.11 in the womens side as they would probably not stand much of a chance at holding one end down. it would be like playing 10 batsmen. i think a womens all rounder would be the only possibility. they would be considered a bowler only though in the mens game as their batting would most likely be on par with lower order men's.

In my personal opinion, after watching the T20 world cup there are a few woman
players who i believe would be able to face the majority of the bowlers in the international game against men. Many woman players, although they lack in power i believe they have a technique just as good as many of the male players. As to do with female bowlers, i feel almost the same way. Many of the female bowlers lack in pace, but they balance that out with skill. I believe that a small amount of women players would be able to cut it in international cricket against men. Please tell me if you disagree.

this is an interesting question isn't it? Sparking most debate. I still think that maybe one day there could be a woman who could make it as a spinner but that is all.

Ha, Thats about as laughable as a boy from bowral dominating test cricket......(highly unlikely) or a 17 year old kid playing in the centenary test.
In all honesty I hope women do make it to the top level of mens cricket...Of course its possible, after all didnt Warick capper play full forward for the sydney swans

vvs1;354607 said:
Ha, Thats about as laughable as a boy from bowral dominating test cricket......(highly unlikely) or a 17 year old kid playing in the centenary test.
In all honesty I hope women do make it to the top level of mens cricket...Of course its possible, after all didnt Warick capper play full forward for the sydney swans

... and he averaged 3.52 goals per game for the Swans.

vvs1;354607 said:

Buddy pick the odd one out from the last 150 years
a)a boy from bowral dominating test cricket
b)a 17 year old kid playing in the centenary test.
c)didnt Warick capper play full forward for the sydney swans
d)Of course its possible women do make it to the top level of mens cricket
a,b,c has happened by males.
d hasnt happened and wont in the near future if ever

cold case;354613 said:

but hopefully it does...

and if it ever does it would make female participation in cricket explode, even if only as a trend.

cold case;354613 said:
Still haven't seen a response by you to my last post...

In fact, you haven't posted anything but baseless sexism in this whole thread. Some logical arguments and facts would make a lovely change.

Personally, I don't think so. Nothing to do with sexism, just a thought.

The same sorts of arguments have been used about women playing men in Golf. However as I understand it, most women who have played on the mens tour barely make the cut.

the original premise was that cricket did not require much in the way of strength- this is not entirely correct. it does require strength but in different physical (musculature) combinations. the differences in strengths between a female and male cricketer would still be significant- especially in the upper body where women have two rather obvious disadvantages. there is also a speculation that women have a significant disadvantage in reaction times.
it has been suggested that batsmen rely as much upon the visual clues of a bowler as on the ball itself to determine what shot is to be played. the tests for this are rather basic, the last i saw, and it generally relies on a measurement of a batsmen's reactions to a verbal command versus the flight time of a ball. since the speed of sound (hearing) is much much slower than the speed of light (vision) it is hard to know for sure how accurate it is; but film footage tends to show batsmen moving into a shot before a ball is bowled, which tends to back this up. but men have the extra reaction speed to adjust their shot if the ball reacts differently to what is anticipated (sometimes). this would be a significant advantage to male versus female cricketers. obviously this would not affect a female bowler but eventually she would have to bat.

200,000 years of blokes running around after Bison and Wooly mammoths chucking rocks and spears at em kind of helps us out whilst women did the gathering thing as far as I'm aware hence the reason they're better than us at fiddly stuff. But on their side there's the physical endurance argument that might help them in some way, they recover from physical damage far quicker than us, I think this is recognised in marathon events, women are back on their feet and ready to do another much quicker than blokes? Also if you look at Non Western cultures Women in a lot of instances do most of the physical work whilst men sit around under trees tending cattle and goats and again this may be due to the fact that they're physically and mentally pre-disposed to physical endurance? Think too in terms of illness - when you get ill how ill do you get? Now think in terms of your Mum or your wife, yeah they get ill but they're back on their feet far quicker than we are generally? So there's a few points to chuck in the mix, but with sport its a case of merit surely? But even if there was a woman that was a complete freak of nature patriarchy and human nature would just see that she was treated as a freak. Maybe in thousands of years time when evolution or genetic engineering comes into play, but not in our life times I suspect?

I can't think of many sports where women have the edge over blokes - Free-Diving maybe? I'll check it out.

Nope - we're better at that as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_diving#Competitive_freediving

Back