Counting Runs

Counting Runs

I'm sure a few of you will be thinking 'what the hell is he going on about' however, when batting i tend to count my runs as assume alot of people may do and my question is, do batsmen spend too much time thinking about how many runs they have?

The point is, whether you're on 9 or 99, if you are aware of it, will you try that extra bit harder, and plan a shot to get that extra figure on your score, even if it's totally the wrong shot to play, or does it spur you on to keep concentrated and get the extra run. Whatever way you think about it i'm sure visualisation plays it's part.

So what are your thoughts... Do you count your runs? and do you think it has a positive affect to your batting?

Re: Counting Runs

I am aware of the amount of runs I am on up untill about 10. However this is more through count back in between balls/overs. I never actually count. And once I have to recall more than about 4 scoring shots I tend not to bother. What I do do though is set targets based on the scoreboard with my batting partner. Generally looking to 10 run targets up untill 100 then its 25 runs from then on, depending on the situation a target might also involve overs, for example get to 200 by 40 overs then start to take more risks, or if you are chasing a target and have a run rate you want to stick to. I find this helps the idea of building a big partnership.

I count my runs, usually it's I bat so slow everything comes into my mind at some point xD

But you know how some teams don't let their batsman look at the scorecard when they're on 49? Well I plan to tell the batsman he's on 49, even when he's not. Ha. God I'm funny.

Ha ha Jonesy! Remind me of a time when one guy was batting well and was probably on about 30 odd. But after he hit a single a couple of us got up and started clapping him as though he had got to his 50. As we did this everyone else did too. He looked a bit surprised but took the acknowledgement and raised his bat. A few overs later when he did in fact get to his proper 50 the scorer shouted out and he got another round of applause!! Try it, it's good fun!

Slass;27019 said:
I am aware of the amount of runs I am on up untill about 10. However this is more through count back in between balls/overs. I never actually count. And once I have to recall more than about 4 scoring shots I tend not to bother. What I do do though is set targets based on the scoreboard with my batting partner. Generally looking to 10 run targets up untill 100 then its 25 runs from then on, depending on the situation a target might also involve overs, for example get to 200 by 40 overs then start to take more risks, or if you are chasing a target and have a run rate you want to stick to. I find this helps the idea of building a big partnership.

That sounds like a good alternative, is it because you find it easier than counting your own runs or would you say you have always done it this way?

I find I have enough to concentrate on while batting than to worry about my score. And yes it is easier to do it this way as you have a scoreboard telling you the score. Also at the end of the day it is the teams score that will win you the game and the best way to do this is to build partnerships, as this will lead you to have wickets in hand for a final onslaught to get you as many runs as possible. It is also not very nice for the fielding team when two batsmen get together and stay there while scoring runs.

However you can look at it this way, if you reach your targets and you are still there then it is likely you will have scored roughly half of those runs. So if your parntership is 100 one of the 2 will probably have a 50.

Slass;27025 said:
I find I have enough to concentrate on while batting than to worry about my score. And yes it is easier to do it this way as you have a scoreboard telling you the score. Also at the end of the day it is the teams score that will win you the game and the best way to do this is to build partnerships, as this will lead you to have wickets in hand for a final onslaught to get you as many runs as possible. It is also not very nice for the fielding team when two batsmen get together and stay there while scoring runs.

However you can look at it this way, if you reach your targets and you are still there then it is likely you will have scored roughly half of those runs. So if your parntership is 100 one of the 2 will probably have a 50.

Exactly the answer i was looking for, do your tactics vary between 20/20 and 45over cricket, or do you always go for the onslaught in the last 10 or so?

20/20 is from ball one! Score as many as you can as fast as you can while using every available ball. Our best score so far this season in 20/20 is 236 with the opening bat scoring 134! However I also remember playing in a game on a dark and damp day, we got bowled out for 80 and rocked them out for 25!

As for the longer version (we play 50 overs) its more about pacing your innings work out what is going to be a winning score taking into account the pitch, the outfield, your bowling, and their batting (if you know). Then try and get that score as a minimum. The key for scoring lots in the final 10/15 is to keep as many wickets in tact as possible and have batsmen in at the time that are set and have got them selfs 'in'. Batting second you need to keep up with the run rate while not losing wickets.

Please note this is just how I personally bat and how my team approaches its games. I know people who know exactly how many runs they have scored and how many of them have been boundaries, for them that focuses their mind. But for me thinking about my score is just one extra thing I could do with out.

Added 3 minute(s) and 15 second(s) later...

Also forgot to mention, if you are fielding first still work out what score you can get and try and keep them below that. Remember every run saved is one less you need to score. However keep an open mind as you might set a target below what is achievable so don;t get down if you don't keep the oposition below this figure. With time and experience you will get better at this. Sometimes a target will change during an innings.

When i'm counting my runs, I know i'm batting poorly (at least, poorer than most bowlers are expected too). I find it far more productive to set time or team- orientated mile stones and work towards them. i.e. batting for 30 minutes, reassessing, etc.

I always start off counting my runs but soon lose track and then forget about it. I think I mainly do it as I'm anxious to get off the mark and then get to double figures. After that I tend to get on with the job at hand.

To maximise your performance, you need to get in to the zone; your mind should be totally on the job in hand. Counting runs is a great zone inhibiter. Count the first one and as soon as you know you have escaped the quacks, forget them ;)

I only count my first run and then carry on with the batting stuff.
But i make it a point to look at the score board after every two overs to check the run rate.

I count them, but generally lose track, but still try to.

I once made a 50, only thought i had 37 until i was told! Thats how bad it gets.

I haven't played in a while but when I used to, I generally only kept track of the team's score while batting. I have been dismissed a couple of times on 49 because I was too anxious to get to 50.

But liz would you not say it was helpful in constructing an innings? its something i dont do. i'm not settled untill the ball has hit the boundary?

mind there is the odd ground and scorer that puts your score up whilst batting. It is helpful to know what your on to set your own targets?

It's personal... psychologically, outcome targets can be self defeating; other posts on this thread bear testament to that :D

In the perfect World, a batsman should be concerned about the way he is playing; stance and backswing (without getting these in order he/she cannot play any shot 'correctly'), relaxing into the movement, hand/eye coordination, timing, hitting the ball in the middle etc.

Playing the right shot for the ball; playing themselves in with the off, on and straight drives, flicks off the legs, leg glances, cut, pull and being aware of the danger zones - it's as much about knowing what to leave as well as how to hit the ones you want to ;)

Give yourself process targets and the runs will look after themselves.

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni did not think about the finished article when he painted the Sistine Chapel; it was about the subject, light, colours and personal flare. Each little process was conducted with great care and diligence, the end result is just that... an end result... but what a result! Look after the processes of batting and your end result will be a high score :D

As for not being settled until the ball hits the boundary... a single run for each ball of the over is far better than a 4 followed by a catch ;) You need to be content [settled] from the outset and everything will fall in place. Waiting for that boundary will make you uptight and tense until it comes, putting you at risk of failure.

Firstly, knowing what would be a good score to set on a wicket is, in my humble opinion impossible. We`ve scored 190 odd in terrible conditions with a damp wicket and soggy outfield, and been skittled out for 120 in good conditions on a batters wicket. So when these subjects are disscussed prior to game starting I have to admit I cannot conceal a smile!!
As for counting runs (not that I have many to count) I haven`t got a clue ever, in my highest score of 25 a couple of weeks ago I still cannot remember hitting one of my four 4s. It feels like every ball is the first one I`ve faced and without doubt each delivery is destined for the boundry.

Back