Cricket Albury/Wodonga 2009/10 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cricket Albury/Wodonga 2009/10 Part 2

Future_Cricket_Tra;383827 said:
Hi Guys, I may be late in replying to this posts, but I have only just found this forum after following the previous CAW forums and feel it neccesary to respond. I will put my head out as a Lavington Panthers 3rd grade player and say that the reason that only one team played those weeks was due to only having enough players to field one side due to injuries and people being unavailable due to one off events (such as me attending a milestone birthday party for my father on one of those weeks), it is not something I would expect to see too much of in the second half of the season (most injuries I think have healed by now). As to why different teams forfeited each week, while I can't give a definite answer I would say it was to make sure both sides didn't drop down the ladder too far.

No that is fair enough and yes it does happen from time to time....however, your club could have noticed that both forfeits were against the same team, and I am pretty sure the guys that simply want to go out each week and have a bit a fun, were far from impressed not being able to.....your club should have least been fined as a warning to all clubs that they have a responsibility.....but that is only an opinion from one person.

left armers rule;384031 said:
No that is fair enough and yes it does happen from time to time....however, your club could have noticed that both forfeits were against the same team, and I am pretty sure the guys that simply want to go out each week and have a bit a fun, were far from impressed not being able to.....your club should have least been fined as a warning to all clubs that they have a responsibility.....but that is only an opinion from one person.

Clubs have many responsibilities, including to the club itself. While it is unfortunate that it was the same team that were forfeited against, I am guessing that the club committee did what was best for their club. I do not believe that it was done to disadvantage the club that was unfortunate enough to have an enforced 2 week break for thier team due to the forfeits. Also to call for a fine I think is a bit excessive, things happen occasionally which can't be helped, this was one of those times. It is possible that Erdeljac recognised this and that is why he said he was too busy to look into it. That is my opinion anyway.

Future_Cricket_Tra;384047 said:
Clubs have many responsibilities, including to the club itself. While it is unfortunate that it was the same team that were forfeited against, I am guessing that the club committee did what was best for their club. I do not believe that it was done to disadvantage the club that was unfortunate enough to have an enforced 2 week break for thier team due to the forfeits. Also to call for a fine I think is a bit excessive, things happen occasionally which can't be helped, this was one of those times. It is possible that Erdeljac recognised this and that is why he said he was too busy to look into it. That is my opinion anyway.

Points wise there will be no disadvantage, in fact looking at this years teams and results in the 3rds, Lavi would have more than likely won both games.....as far as the fine goes....a one off forfeit can happen to any club, two weeks in a row even though they were technically different sides, I think most would agree should have drawn some punishment......anyway its good to have a discussion about a topic without people getting personal about it.....now lets hope the weather calms down for this weekends games

left armers rule;384058 said:
Points wise there will be no disadvantage, in fact looking at this years teams and results in the 3rds, Lavi would have more than likely won both games.....as far as the fine goes....a one off forfeit can happen to any club, two weeks in a row even though they were technically different sides, I think most would agree should have drawn some punishment......anyway its good to have a discussion about a topic without people getting personal about it.....now lets hope the weather calms down for this weekends games

While I admit to not being very knowledgable about the administration side of running a cricket competition. I still think it would be harsh to be fining clubs for unavoidable circumstances. I am sure that if the positions were reversed, that Lavington Panthers and their players would have been disappointed (like North and their players were),but they would not be calling for such action. Also not sure if Lavington would have won both games (given the players that were available those weeks), but I guess we will see late next month, when North will get their chance to play the two Lavi sides.

It was interesting to hear over the weekend that since the balls went back to Platapus, there has been similar problems. Balls going out of shape, balls going very soft within 20 overs, chunks falling off, balls needing to be replaced around the 40 over mark, etc. Hopefully people that were so vocal about the Summors balls raise the same concerns if they having problems now they have been replaced with the Platies.

left armers rule;384823 said:
It was interesting to hear over the weekend that since the balls went back to Platapus, there has been similar problems. Balls going out of shape, balls going very soft within 20 overs, chunks falling off, balls needing to be replaced around the 40 over mark, etc. Hopefully people that were so vocal about the Summors balls raise the same concerns if they having problems now they have been replaced with the Platies.

fair call there.maybe it's the grounds,pitches,harder bats or just poor leather ??

Well baranduda thing is another fair question. What if both their B and C grade make the finals. They have only played a hand full of games but seem to be winning in each grade. It's ok to work out a fair point system in A Grade ( which no one knows what it is ) but in the other two grades it's another story. let's say that in C Grade they win the flag after forfiting so many games before christmas. Is that cricket:confused::confused:

Anyway enough of that well done to CAW for a great night at the Commercial Club. After all the bitching about the timing of it etc we had a great night.I was wondering to those clubs which hosted ACCCCC games did you make any money out if it?

From experience when this is happening it generally means there is something wrong with the innards of the ball. The wool/cork/string etc is of poor quality, hasn't been packed/wound correctly or come from dodgy stock.

Definetely had some issues with the plattas at our game on the weekend the oppositions ball like a sponge after 25 overs and one whole side of the ball missing 5 cent piece sized chunks of leather off it,the umpire or opposition didnt have another ball of suitable age to replace it with so one of our boys gave them a 35-40 over ball they had in their bag and this ball was fine!!
(it was probably one of the used sommers balls lol)????

i think in this case i would have rather had a sommers at least they were either split in half or not and when they did split u got another one anyway ,now u have to put up with these plattas while they slowly fall apart until the leather is peeled off and they go as soft as a tennis balls by tea.

lindsaygaze;384936 said:
Definetely had some issues with the plattas at our game on the weekend the oppositions ball like a sponge after 25 overs and one whole side of the ball missing 5 cent piece sized chunks of leather off it,the umpire or opposition didnt have another ball of suitable age to replace it with so one of our boys gave them a 35-40 over ball they had in their bag and this ball was fine!!
(it was probably one of the used sommers balls lol)????

i think in this case i would have rather had a sommers at least they were either split in half or not and when they did split u got another one anyway ,now u have to put up with these plattas while they slowly fall apart until the leather is peeled off and they go as soft as a tennis balls by tea.
Cricket balls should treated like any other item purchased from a shop. If it does not serve the purpose it was designed for, the consumer is entitled to repair, a replacement or a refund. Now considering these little red things are costing clubs a small fortune each week (seniors and juniors) why should they be paying very good money for an inferior product. Most grounds seem to be pretty good nick and wickets are not made of ashfelt, so the balls should be lasting longer than 20, 30 or 40 overs....clubs just need to document how long the balls lasted, keep the balls as evidence and complain through the correct channels....well at least it should be that easy!!!!!!

big guys don't run;384920 said:
fair call there.maybe it's the grounds,pitches,harder bats or just poor leather ??

Well baranduda thing is another fair question. What if both their B and C grade make the finals. They have only played a hand full of games but seem to be winning in each grade. It's ok to work out a fair point system in A Grade ( which no one knows what it is ) but in the other two grades it's another story. let's say that in C Grade they win the flag after forfiting so many games before christmas. Is that cricket:confused::confused:

Anyway enough of that well done to CAW for a great night at the Commercial Club. After all the bitching about the timing of it etc we had a great night.I was wondering to those clubs which hosted ACCCCC games did you make any money out if it?

Totally agree with the Baranduda farce - they're not the only club in recent history that has had their A grade decimated, and to take the soft option - and worse, to be ALLOWED to take that option - is disrespectful to the other teams in the comp and a black mark for the association.
The Country Comp game we hosted out at Howlong was a big day for the club. We made a bit of coin of course, but the comments we received from Qld and NT players, management and the Umpires on our pitch, ground and hospitality was worth a lot more. Plus it was a corker of a game - 100 overs, 400 runs and 17 wickets with a thrilling 3 run victory at the end. Well worth the effort from all involved.
Also, great night had by all at the Commercial Club - even though we didn't actually make the table list! Comedian was a funny **************.

RumPig;385103 said:
Totally agree with the Baranduda farce - they're not the only club in recent history that has had their A grade decimated, and to take the soft option - and worse, to be ALLOWED to take that option - is disrespectful to the other teams in the comp and a black mark for the association.
The Country Comp game we hosted out at Howlong was a big day for the club. We made a bit of coin of course, but the comments we received from Qld and NT players, management and the Umpires on our pitch, ground and hospitality was worth a lot more. Plus it was a corker of a game - 100 overs, 400 runs and 17 wickets with a thrilling 3 run victory at the end. Well worth the effort from all involved.
Also, great night had by all at the Commercial Club - even though we didn't actually make the table list! Comedian was a funny **************.

Agree with u on the Baranduda thing in 1 aspect Piggy but u need to delve a bit deeper into finding out the reason y the club was allowed to play in the lower grades.
I think if anyone wants to ask the question to the powers that be they will find out quickly that it was either play the lower grade sor fold all together which would then affect the grant application that has been submitted for Baranduda reserve.
If Baranduda(who submitted the application)were not a club ne more then we end up with a ground that no1 will want to use because there r no facilities,however if the grant is successful and the club goes under there will b facilities and maybe other clubs will be happy ot use that ground.

ok let's talk about cricket. will dedrang get over belvoir.it the eagles go down that's the end of the season for them. are new city the real deal this season. so far they are. but what will happen next season when they go up. who sitting pretty in provincial so far. it's been pretty quite up top. :D

just and outsider wondering what the standard is like in the albury/wodonga league? who are the powerhouse teams? is there much coin that gets around in your league?
cheers tracey

does anyone know why it is so difficult for the person that updates the points tables for the CAW to calculate what forfiets are worth from two months ago instead of just leaving a zero for the round???? I would hate to be a team who thought they were playing finals cricket until someone got off their backside after the final round and updated the tables to find out you dropped out of the race......and that looks like what exactly is going to happen.

Well hasn't this website become almost a waste of time....anyway will keep trying to keep some interest....surely the CAW has to make some rules about the 3rd grade....North had a 1st grader that scored a ton in 3rds, Tallengatta had 2 first graders play a couple of weeks ago, Lethbidge from St Pats must be too scared to play any higher than 3rds even though he has 4 big tons and 2 50's in 10 digs....and the the structure of the comp is a joke....all these bonus points that mean that the strong sides who stack their teams get to bowl teams out for around a 100 and then score around 300 is great for the comp....NOT....and why do 2's need two umpires....how about giving some to the lower grades to keep some captains honest.....hey Hodgo

left armers rule;388267 said:
Well hasn't this website become almost a waste of time

It is what you make it.

I'll admit that moving this competition to it's own area may have foxed a few people but all they need to do is update bookmarks - Cricket Albury/Wodonga (CAW) - BigCricket

We're not going anywhere so if people want to post then they can. All we ask if that they keep within the rules, which are as relaxed as they can be.

If you want it to liven up then spread the word.

mas cambios;388274 said:
It is what you make it.

I'll admit that moving this competition to it's own area may have foxed a few people but all they need to do is update bookmarks - Cricket Albury/Wodonga (CAW) - BigCricket

We're not going anywhere so if people want to post then they can. All we ask if that they keep within the rules, which are as relaxed as they can be.

If you want it to liven up then spread the word.

Sorry I worded that poorly....the website is good....just the CAW section has become almost redundant due to the lack of uses since all those dramas over previous comments before Xmas.....its a shame because there used to be some good banter and inter club rivalry here

Wasn't really directed at you, more of a throw away remark.

As I said though, YOU may this site what it is. The drama around November/December was way out of line and caused a lot of hassle. This in turn has has effected the site in various ways.

As a site we would love to have this place thriving again. However, it is up to you and others in your competition to post and make it happen.

left armers rule;387387 said:
does anyone know why it is so difficult for the person that updates the points tables for the CAW to calculate what forfiets are worth from two months ago instead of just leaving a zero for the round???? I would hate to be a team who thought they were playing finals cricket until someone got off their backside after the final round and updated the tables to find out you dropped out of the race......and that looks like what exactly is going to happen.

Looks like they have started updating them now, with all points allocated up to round 7. Looks like the opponents of teams who forfeit will get the same points as the team with the highest number of points for the round, teams with the bye get six points plus average bonus points for the round. I agree with you that they need to have them fully updated before the final round with only the bonus points for the team having the bye to be added after the final round, so teams have a realistic idea of their chances of making the finals going into the final round. It would be very upsetting for a team to think they are making finals only to find out that they are out of the race when the remaining points for the entire season are updated after the final round.

I love the way the CAW and the local media have talked up competition recently and there is no doubt cricket on the Border has benefited from the merger but its surprisingly being overlooked that things aren't quite as rosy. A couple examples are:-
*Sommers balls fiasco
*Relying on District B grade players to fill out our Konica and Ensign Cup teams this year.
*Baranduda on shaky legs after pulling out their A grade side, while Albury's long term future is not assured if the get relegated
*West Wodonga merging with the Wodonga Raiders who are struggling to keep their heads above water since relegation
*The gap between the Prov. and District comps seems to be widening with each season with each promoted club either getting regular thumping or having to spend money on players to just remain competitive
*CAW dictating to clubs rather than consulting with them and fining clubs for even the smallest of things eg.Not getting the scores in by 8.30 on a saturday night. Bad luck if you have a social function on with one of your sides playing away. Not all of us sit in front of a PC on a Saturday night
*What will be done in regards to the North and Lavi game with the covers fiasco? North were staring at an outright defeat yet they were the only game washed out and didn't have the wicket covered. Raiders lost their points last year for the same thing against Wodonga will the Hoppers be fined and/ór lose points for this game?

It seems to me the Board only prefer listening to how good they are at Rep cricket and hosting other events yet forget they are put in place to run the comp for the CLUBS and its members.Hopefully the next CAW meeing in a fortnights time will help resolve some issues in the comp which won't go away.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back