Cricket Victoria - South East Bayside League

Yeah. It's a bit sad on some ways - my first game in the (then) VJCA was in 1966, fifty years ago, and my club was in the VJCA/VTCA for more than 60 years. But the future looks exciting and the fixture is certainly interesting. Looking forward to watching next season's cricket.

Some interesting rules for Cricket Southern Bayside next year:

In two day games (but not finals) there will be no coin toss - the visiting team will have the choice.
One day and T20 games will have fielding restrictions, power plays, free hits after no-balls, and rain affected matches will be decided by "par score" calculations. It's not clear whether the par score will use DL, or some other, simpler approach.

Interesting times indeed...

It appears as though the rules produced by Southern Bayside (with I expect a great deal of input from CV) are likely to be strongly recommended when new regions come into the CV fold. Understandably they seem to want all comps to have the same rules. So, maybe next year in the North...

What a debacle - No coin toss. They can't be serious.

In all English County matches this season, the captain of the away side has the option of bowling first without having a toss. If he doesn't want to bowl first, then you have a toss.
The aim is to encourage the preparation of better pitches, to give spinners more of a chance, and/or to discourage the deliberate preparation of seaming pitches which advantage the home team.

As far as I can tell, the clubs have had input or provided feedback on all the proposed rules, so I don't think this "no toss" rule is one which has been decided exclusively by the working party.

In the report in the Leader http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...n/news-story/a10cc5c424dfc49bb8c08e84855c6820 this quote appears:
"there had always been talk (in the former VTCA South competition) of teams doctoring wickets"
It's not just in the South. I have played against teams in the North and in one case been told after bowling first and keeping the home team down to about 150 "if you think the wicket was bad this week, you wait for next week when you are batting on it".

As I said, it will be an interesting season in many ways.

What is on paper looks like an exciting competition. There is no doubt that some things will work others won't but it seems that the new administration is very proactive so I'm sure any issues will be dealt with well..
Personally can't wait to get on the field and see how it unfolds!

In all English County matches this season, the captain of the away side has the option of bowling first without having a toss. If he doesn't want to bowl first, then you have a toss.
The aim is to encourage the preparation of better pitches, to give spinners more of a chance, and/or to discourage the deliberate preparation of seaming pitches which advantage the home team.
That's why English cricket is in a mess, and it looks as though most of the VTCA is too with this epidemic of pitch doctoring. I'd say if you are fairdinkum, then clubs need to find ways around good wicket management otherwise local turf comps won't survive anyway. Back to syntho for me, at least they have a toss of the coin so I can decide whether or not I'm going to bat on a 40 degree day.

Removal of the Coin Toss for 2-Day Games was entirely a working party decision. Club's didn't get the option to vote on this, but will be reviewed at the end of this Season apparently.

I'm not convinced removal of the toss is the best approach at a local level. If the logic behind this was to stop teams tampering with pitches, then I don't think this will achieve that.

With this rule in place unless your Club is 100% sure you'll be able to get a good pitch up for the weekend's game then it would be in your best interest as a Club to ensure that the pitch doesn't get up, so the game would revert back to a one-day game match next week, where there will be a coin toss. You won't get clubs working endlessly on wickets in the morning trying to bring the pitch up to a level where it's acceptable to play and then leaving it up to the coin toss to decide who bats first. If home clubs know that the opposition will send them in to bat on a wicket that's not great, then they won't be pushing to get the pitch up.

Removal of the Coin Toss for 2-Day Games was entirely a working party decision. Club's didn't get the option to vote on this, but will be reviewed at the end of this Season apparently.

I'm not convinced removal of the toss is the best approach at a local level. If the logic behind this was to stop teams tampering with pitches, then I don't think this will achieve that.

With this rule in place unless your Club is 100% sure you'll be able to get a good pitch up for the weekend's game then it would be in your best interest as a Club to ensure that the pitch doesn't get up, so the game would revert back to a one-day game match next week, where there will be a coin toss. You won't get clubs working endlessly on wickets in the morning trying to bring the pitch up to a level where it's acceptable to play and then leaving it up to the coin toss to decide who bats first. If home clubs know that the opposition will send them in to bat on a wicket that's not great, then they won't be pushing to get the pitch up.
That's one interpretation of what might happen. Lets see what happens though. There's nothing wrong trialing it for a season.

Worried about it? Get a big set of covers that cover the entire wicket table and then some. Realistically here in Melbourne with a good set of covers you'll be unlucky to miss more than a day or two of cricket due to wet weather.

Are you serious, like to see how you go when you are in field on 40 degree days just because the home side doesn't get an option, good luck with that.
Wrong person to ask, I sent port Melbourne in two years ago in 37 degrees and we rolled them and we were 6/30 on a stinkin hot day last year at south Caulfield.. Both good tracks. Weather and the coin toss won't decide the match, it's really not that big a deal.. If its forecast for 37 and your the home team drink plenty of water Friday night!! Haha

Like the idea of trying it, but will it really have an effect on "doctoring" pitches? In England you are playing FC cricket, so the pitch will remain similar; different situation when there's a week in between.

The worst of it usually occurs on the second week, that still wouldn't change with this would it?

Back