Cut shot

bboy0001

Cut shot

When playing the cut shot(my favourite shot) i favour it as it brings me majority of my runs, is it more effective to come forward or step back?

Re: Cut shot

it depends on field positions, you should always be looking for the gaps in the field, sometimes you may need to delay the shot slightly to get the shot behind a fielder. A square cut would go to someone fielding at point, if you know there is a gap in front of him say around cover point, playing a cut shot off the front foot would eliminate the fielder at point, if say cover point was covered and no-one around point or gully, playing off the back foot would open up the 4's square of the wicket, also delaying the shot more as in a late cut would go around the square third man position, beating point or gully, great shot against spinners as sometimes they don't play a third man.

I also love the cut shot, my eyes light up whenever i see something short and wide, which makes me look a bit silly when they keep low, and i miss.

Generally, i try and get it to point if there is no one there, and if there is, on their left hand side because

a) most people are right handed, so its on their weaker side, I play C and some B grade cricket, so not many are ambidexterous

b) they usually aren't totally focused, so i can get a couple of runs

The best advice I got was to cut on width, not length. Basically the length of the delivery will determine whether you cut off the front foot (which is in essence a square drive) or off the back foot, which is a more traditional cut shot. Go back and look at vision of Adam Gilchrist or Justin Langer, for me it was particularly relevant as I'm left-handed, but the moment they receive anything where they can free the arms outside off, they cut. The front foot cut is great because I was trying to cover drive balls that were too wide, therefore nicking them to 2nd and 3rd slip, but if you play that same delivery with a more horizontal bat and more bottom hand, watch the ball fly between gully and point to the fence!!

It doesn't sound like coaching manual stuff, but it's changed my game big time. Get someone to throw you some width balls in the nets and practice that, vary the lengths so that you can cut of both front and back foot.

Yes its true to play the cut on width not length, if it is short but not wide enough to cut you can pull it or let it go. playing it too close to your body ends with balls going to the slips/gully. I pretty much always cut off the back foot unless im charging and therefore already on the front foot. If you want the ball in front of square in the cover region play the shot early if you want it behind point just delay it abit. step back and across so you transfer your weight into the shot, slash from under the ball if you want to go over the top or from high to low if you want to fit it along the ground.

Egg;381444 said:
Yes its true to play the cut on width not length, if it is short but not wide enough to cut you can pull it or let it go. playing it too close to your body ends with balls going to the slips/gully. I pretty much always cut off the back foot unless im charging and therefore already on the front foot. If you want the ball in front of square in the cover region play the shot early if you want it behind point just delay it abit. step back and across so you transfer your weight into the shot, slash from under the ball if you want to go over the top or from high to low if you want to fit it along the ground.

Listen to this man. Has a monster cut shot.

Back