CV Member Protection By-Law

CowCorner

CV Member Protection By-Law

Member Protection By-Law | Cricket Victoria

Cricket is a game that owes much of its unique appeal to the fact that it is to be played not only within its Laws, but also within the spirit of the game. Any action seen as abusing this spirit causes injury to the game itself.

Embracing the spirit of the game means participating, either as a player or as an official, fairly and exhibiting respect for other players and officials and the game's traditional values such as graciousness in defeat and humility in victory.

Cricket has a distinct place in Australian society and history. As an element in Australia's national identity, cricket plays a significant role. This status brings with it particular responsibilities for players and officials to conform to high standards of fair play and personal behaviour on and off the field.

The Member Protection By-law is intended to protect and enshrine such important qualities and standards so that all may continue to enjoy the game of cricket now and in the future.

The Peak Bodies of Victorian Cricket are committed to the health, safety and well-being of all its members and participants and is dedicated to providing a safe environment for participating in the sport of cricket throughout Victoria.

The adoption of the Community Cricket Member Protection By-Law reflects the dedication of community cricket organisations to serving and protecting its members and participants throughout all levels of the sport. However, the adoption of the Member Protection By-Law itself is just the first step in affording our members and participants the protection they deserve. The successful implementation and enforcement of this Member Protection By-Law requires the cooperation and commitment of community cricket associations and participants at all levels.

OK, most of have heard of this and may have read it. Having been involved in a Member Protection Tribunal recently I urge all to read it and ensure you understand and oblige by it.

During a lower grade GF between LE and BU there was a lot of sledging and abuse from players and supporters, it got out of hand and went well over the top to the point where one of the LE players too far and made comments to a under age player that have now seen him with a 2 match suspension.

He has accepted this and understands that whilst he was not found guilty of the comments alleged against him, he admitted to comments and has understood that they are against the Member Protection By-Law.

As Clubs LE and BU will be looking at ways to ensure all involved in that GF understand that that type of behaviour is not accepted and not part of our Clubs fabric. This is not only players, their was supporters involved and CV stated they would have no hesitation suspending supporters for comments made over the fence. Some will say how can you suspend a supporter, well the probably cannot do much but the focus on your Club if a supporter has a complaint against it is something that I know I would not want and I am sure many others.

Most of us play cricket for fun, yes to win but its the beer after the game we enjoy. People that are in Clubs that are willing to accept abuse on and off the field, I can tell you, if reported you will be gone. This style of cricket or support is not part of the fabric of acceptable society and nor should it. If you cannot win by actually playing (yeah a little banter is fine) then you shouldn't be playing.

CV ran a excellent tribunal last night, they were fair but at the end of the day believed that there was probably around 10 other people (both players and supporters) that could also have been sent to tribunal and would also be having a seat on the sidelines for the start of the season. I expect the CV report to the DVCA will be a bit damning of the umpires of that game as it was obvious to them that there was no action reported when it was clear they knew they should of. In line with this I expect all umpires will now be vigilant in reporting anything that is covered under the Member Protection Laws (and honestly they should be as well).

I hope all clubs have a read of the law and pass onto to other players that there will be consequences if they are found guilty. And these laws are not an inconvenience, they are there for everyone's protection and must be abided.

Re: CV Member Protection By-Law

CowCorner;403787 said:
Member Protection By-Law | Cricket Victoria

OK, most of have heard of this and may have read it. Having been involved in a Member Protection Tribunal recently I urge all to read it and ensure you understand and oblige by it.

During a lower grade GF between LE and BU there was a lot of sledging and abuse from players and supporters, it got out of hand and went well over the top to the point where one of the LE players too far and made comments to a under age player that have now seen him with a 2 match suspension.

He has accepted this and understands that whilst he was not found guilty of the comments alleged against him, he admitted to comments and has understood that they are against the Member Protection By-Law.

As Clubs LE and BU will be looking at ways to ensure all involved in that GF understand that that type of behaviour is not accepted and not part of our Clubs fabric. This is not only players, their was supporters involved and CV stated they would have no hesitation suspending supporters for comments made over the fence. Some will say how can you suspend a supporter, well the probably cannot do much but the focus on your Club if a supporter has a complaint against it is something that I know I would not want and I am sure many others.

Most of us play cricket for fun, yes to win but its the beer after the game we enjoy. People that are in Clubs that are willing to accept abuse on and off the field, I can tell you, if reported you will be gone. This style of cricket or support is not part of the fabric of acceptable society and nor should it. If you cannot win by actually playing (yeah a little banter is fine) then you shouldn't be playing.

CV ran a excellent tribunal last night, they were fair but at the end of the day believed that there was probably around 10 other people (both players and supporters) that could also have been sent to tribunal and would also be having a seat on the sidelines for the start of the season. I expect the CV report to the DVCA will be a bit damning of the umpires of that game as it was obvious to them that there was no action reported when it was clear they knew they should of. In line with this I expect all umpires will now be vigilant in reporting anything that is covered under the Member Protection Laws (and honestly they should be as well).

I hope all clubs have a read of the law and pass onto to other players that there will be consequences if they are found guilty. And these laws are not an inconvenience, they are there for everyone's protection and must be abided.
Well said.

Back