Darwin & District Cricket - 2011

Not much to report as of yet, few rumours floating around though.

PINT have apparently picked up a few guys moving from NSW.

Palmerston look likely to have Darren Treumer return as assistant coach/player along with Shane Chatto as captain/coach. Lost Kieran Toner (UK season), Craig Jensen (Perth/work).

TV have apparently picked up Matty Hanna from Palmerston.

Darwin have lost Tom Briggs (UK season), Rick Burton and retirement of captain Greg Brautigam.

Waratah is rumoured to be folding, don't know the full story yet. The other rumour is that they'll have a 2009 capable team with plenty of dollars floating around.

Nightcliff, not sure here, club president Alex Krepapis has left, with Marc Calkin not coming back.

Haven't heard anything regarding Southern Districts.

There will be a new draft system this season, apparently compromising of possibly 14 interstate players, approximately two from each state that are meant to be the higher end (rookie contracted) in comparison to the five fringe players sent by SACA last season.

The NT sides ranging from U13's to mens have all recently been away with the U13's winning the national carnival for the first time ever. U17's sitting mid table in the last round and the U19's were competitive but in what was a poor tournament due to weather conditions. The U15's are currently in NSW competing their regional competition. The NT Strike finished second last but were competitive in all games, would likely have finished higher had it not been for a wash out against SA and drawing against NSW & VIC's in two matches where no points are awarded.

All in all, it looks likely that another strong season is on the cards for D&DCA.

The Players Draft for 2011 has progressed with 13 players available for selection. There are two from each state with one player from ACT. The Draft appears to be better organised this season and should make it easier for both the clubs and players to benefit from the experience. As per last years draft, the first selection goes with the last place on the ladder and so on. At this stage there is still seven A grade teams in the competition, so Tracy Village will only have one pick.

I assume NCC will only have 1 pick as they finished first. I think it's order of finish after the finals not after regular season. Well for the top four anyways.

I assume NCC will only have 1 pick as they finished first. I think it's order of finish after the finals not after regular season. Well for the top four anyways.

That's no good for us as well. Either way, I don't think it will matter, they all seem like pretty handy players.

Season starts on the 9th April.

TV have Craig Cochopa back, along with the possibility of Matthew Day which would likely give them the same strength side as last year.

T20's will now be apart of the official rounds involving all grades.

Ben Reichstein (SA, University) and Corey Harris (VIC Country) have been shopping themselves around to a few clubs, not sure what the progress there is.

Player draft has occurred, players and teams as follows;

Aaron Ayre - Australian Capital Territory - Nightcliff CC
Luke Doran - New South Wales - Palmerston CC
Jordan Silk - New South Wales - Southern Districts CC
Jake Hannan - Queensland - Darwin CC
Alex Kemp - Queensland - Palmerston CC
Cullen Bailey - South Australia - PINT CC
Alex Ross - South Australia - Southern Districts CC
Jeremy Smith - Tasmania - Tracy Village CC
Jonathan Wells - Tasmania - Waratahs CC
Daniel Salpietro - Victoria - Nightcliff CC
Steven Reid - Victoria - Waratahs CC
Philip Adams - Western Australia - PINT CC
Jake Fawcett - Western Australia - Darwin CC

Some strong players there, should really make for a competitive season, while there are a few other imports floating about too.

Lot of guys on the fringes of state selection or have played a handful of games for their state. Some good additions there for some of the clubs.

Yes the draft players look like they should help all clubs. Funny that Jeremy Smith was in the draft and I heard that TV requested clubs not to pick him as he was their player..lol.

Sounds like all clubs are looking to recruit well with a good balance of local lads.

COC looks like playing at NCC this year. Hope he has a big impact....

Fair enough.

The fixtures have been released and I would have to say, the first three matches are T20's. While the points are meant to be weighted to the two day fixtures, they're really anybody's game and I can't see why less cricket will be good for the game in the minor rounds. There is still a OD Final, but how do they work that out with only three OD matches played?

It is disappointing to say the least. in my opinion there should then be additional T20's matches played on those weekends or the T20's should have been trialled in the lower grades before being made part of the premier grade in future seasons. The T20 competition as a separate entity to the minor rounds was far better, but lack commitment and innovation from the majority of clubs and from NT Cricket it's self.

I also see that there is a weekend off for the Darwin show, which is in the middle of a 2 day game! Must admit the changes in the draw seem ridiculous. Whats wrong with having a lead up T20 tournament for the first 2 weekends, then hit the season running with a full quota of one day games? i guarantee that if they start with T20 games first up in the season everyone will been keen to play and the interest in the format will be high. I'm sure there will be a fair bit said about this new format in the coming weeks.

Ace, it looks as though NCC will remain the only team to win all 3 trophies.

The other solution to the previous T20 woes is that there is prize money, if that want it that way, make it large enough that the clubs can actually do something with it or halve it and get Fosters or Lion Nathan on board to give up kegs of beer for the winner. Everyone is always interested in free piss.

Think he'll play most of the year and miss only a hand full of games(2-3 at most) with the option to come back for finals.

Just under four weeks till the first match and the wet season is hanging about, plus an earlier start to the season, may see the first round washed out.

So the season is a week away and most grounds have been under water. The recent low that is likely to turn into a cyclone will hopefully drag all the moisture over to WA, so that the season can begin as scheduled. The last thing anyone wants though is a mickey mouse pitch affected opening round.

Club news, Waratah have picked up Michael Hill from the Vics, being the third Bushranger to approach a D&DCA Club. Along with him, former Red Cap, Rhett Bowden has returned to coach. Corey Harris from Country Vic has also signed up to play with Tahs.

Nightcliff have apprently picked up an ACT spinner.

Shane Chatto is confirmed to coach/captain Palmerston. D'arcy Short is likely to stay in WA.

Will do a club write up during the week. In other news, NT Strike took out the Team of the Year in the NT Sports Award night for winning the 2010 ACCC.

Back