Day/Night Test cricket is almost here

Ljp86

Staff member
Day/Night Test cricket is almost here

Day/Night tests appear to be just around the corner with Cricket Australia (CA) applying to the ICC for permission to host the first ever day/night test match which is likely to be held at the Adelaide Oval against Pakistan in November. Follow-up day/night games appear unlikely to occur with dew becoming a problem in Melbourne, Sydney and Hobart (should they get a test game next season).

Games are expected to start at 2pm which is close to the starting time for day/night ODI's. A ball has not yet been developed however CA have asked the CSIRO to come with a ball suitable for the vigours of day/night test cricket.

CA has previously tried the day/night concept with Domestic Sheffield Shield games in the 1990's being played under lights. The move had limited success with crowd numbers showing minimal improvement and was dumped after the pink ball designed for the game extracted too much swing.

Day/Night cricket not too far away

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, this appears to be inevitable. Whether it becomes successful or not is another question. Personally, I have no problems with trying it, it all depends on how successful it becomes and if it actually works.

I imagine this will see a lot of games using Friday, Saturday and Sunday as part of fixtures in order to attract more fans and getting them to stay for the duration as these days would be most advantageous in order to do so.

Thoughts?

Re: Day/Night Test cricket is almost here

Was always going to happen, only a matter of time.

Will be interested to see what ball they use, if any restrictions or replacing of balls occur and if they have to go off not for poor weather but now poor dew covering..

It has the ability to move test matches to times of the day when people can actually watch. Should improve both tv audience and (possibly) attendance.

Eh? Was sure I posted in here, nevermind.

Overall a good idea. Big concern will be the ball used, need something that will retain what tests are about and not start doing strange things after so many overs etc.

I think ICC should use the white ball for now. It is anyway going to be interesting to see this change. I hope it happens quickly.

Excuse my ignorance, but why difference does the colour make? Why not get a test ball and make the leather pink? Dye it or something?

In my opinion it does make a difference. I think making a test ball dye to make it pink will only reduce the quality of the ball. Secondly I can imagine that pink colour will be a bit difficult to see in scorching heat and sunlight. A few days before, I saw a orange colour leather ball while searching Google Images. I guess it could be a better choice than the pink ball.

Different balls behave differently both when under lights, as they scuff and deteriorate, and through the air. Pink seems the best under trials, and white can't be used as it needs to last over 80 overs at a stretch, and in ODI's it is being replaced after 30 odd.

I wonder if they will have a 4th interval during the day's play perhaps a dinner break ?

Back