Do You Play Cricket To Make Friends?

ginger_ninja

i am asking this because having played cricket for a long time and now at my 2nd new club. I have realised i have never made any close friends/mates at cricket, most of my friends are college/ workplace friends. Like yes, i am on friendly terms with most members of my cricket team but thats about it because they are different age groups. And i am trying to expand my social circle because couple of my close friends have moved overseas and i am left here.

I have a feeling cricket is not as social as sport as it seems because its so competitive all the time(sledging ur opposition-obviously u have a beer after but still fighting for a spot in the team etc.) that a cricket club is not the best place to make friends.

Last edited:
i am asking this because having played cricket for a long time and now at my 2nd new club. I have realised i have never made any close friends/mates at cricket, most of my friends are college/ workplace friends. Like yes, i am on friendly terms with most members of my cricket team but thats about it because they are different age groups. And i am trying to expand my social circle because couple of my close friends have moved overseas and i am left here.

I have a feeling cricket is not as social as sport as it seems because its so competitive all the time(sledging ur opposition-obviously u have a beer after but still fighting for a spot in the team etc.) that a cricket club is not the best place to make friends.
Friend

Pending on the club, my answer would be yes you can make friends through cricket. I have many long term friends from cricket, and it can be hard moving to a new club. However the longer you stay generally the greater the friendships.

I think it depends... In my club we always have fun and jokes so we are fairly comfortable with each other, I know some clubs where its not the same, and that's why I love my club

Back