Does The 2011 World Cup Need India In The Final To Be A Success?

Richard the Third

BigCricket Administrator
Was just wondering on what people thought - does the current world cup need a strong Indian showing in order to be considered a success? I guess the dream final would be Pakistan and India. The nightmare would obviously one or both go out in the early stages.

Can the world cup do well without India?

Why does the World Cup need India to do well? $?

With 4 of of the 6 teams in each group going through it's hard to see a Test nation not making it so I'm hoping for another Indian choke to get knocked out in the quarter final.

World Cup 2011 does not need India in the final to be a success.The World Cup can do well without India.
India vs Pakistan won't be a dream final TBH. The current best teams are India, South Africa,Sri Lanka. Any two among these teams should be there.Well, India and Sri lanka are in general very good teams and even better in these pitches,where as South Africa is also a very consistent team.
Pakistan can beat any team on their days,but it will be difficult for them to win back to back tough games in knock out stages to be there in the final IMO.
BTW, @ Kram81, you should learn the format of world cup 2011 before posting :), there are 7 teams in each group.

In the end Indian's will be disappointed if there team fails but won't we all feel that way if our team flops?
Indian's love cricket and will support the cup right to the end.
The cup will be a winner for me as i just love the game, even the last mess in 2007 couldn't put me off.
All the cup needs is another upset or two by the minnows and a really competitive semi and final.

India needs to be in the finals, for the fans of Indian Cricket, and also for the advertisers in India, who have advertised on various media. The teams in the semi's for me, will be Sri Lanka, India, England, and South Africa/Australia. I love watching the cricket played by Pakistan. If Pakistan were playing Hong Kong, in the World Cup, I would watch the whole match. But, Pakistan have made selections, leaving out four frontline players. The opening pair of Pakistan, is a bother. They have one opener from the under-18's and another opener whom I like to watch, not expecting, but hoping he bats to his potential. The middle order is fairly strong. But, for the middle order to feel stable, there needs to be a semblance of confidence after the openers have departed. How would Pakistan play against the current England side? The plus'es for the Pakistan team are the evergreen Razzak, the ever young Afridi, (how old is he?), the fast bowler Gul, Younis Khan, and the captaincy of Afridi. Afridi is captaining the team, without a thought about the past, and with a lot of Vim and Vigor. For Pakistan to do well, the team has to make a collective effort on a given day, and Afridi has inspired his team, perhaps without them being aware of it. But, if some members of the team find themselves out of odds, in a situation on the cricket field, the feeling may become infectious. It is upto Afridi to prevent that, for his team.
About India, I find no general weakness, because Dhoni and his men have been winning many more games, than loosing them. I would call Dhoni the best captain in the World Cup. India's batting is perfect. England did not tie with India, because of India's bowling, but because of India's batting. If India had chased, then India would have won. I think Piyush Chawla is a great asset to the Indian Team. I remember he bowled out Tendulkar, not with his wrong'un, but with his conventional leg-spin. I think Ashwin is great for India, too, just as good as Chawla. The greatest asset to Indian bowling is Zaheer Khan. He is what Mcgrath was to Australia, for India. I cannot see where the Indian bowling lacks. I did not mention Harbhajan Singh, because a lot has been said about him already. The greatest asset of Harbhajan, is his attitude towards bowling, which is the same as Afridi. Harbhajan is as much in a spell, sometimes, when he bowls, as is the batsman who faces him. I really hope Nehra gets to bowl. A bowling attack of India, consisting of Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Harbhajan Singh, Piyush/Ashwin, Yusuf Pathan, and Yuvraj Singh has no weakness. In fact, Sehwag should bowl. I may be gushing about India, but I see no weakness in the Indian team. Sreesanth reminds me a lot of Sir Richard Hadlee. Even in his early bowling career.
Among the other teams, England are a superb side. I have not seen a lot of South Africa. Sri Lanka are a very competent side.
The World Cup has surpassed expectations, because of the crowd support, which has inspired the teams. India is used to this crowd support.

For the ICC and the BCCI that would be ideal. India has become the financial powerhouse that powers the game. I see it from another angle.. if India won the world cup it would boost ODI's as India would then take it more serious as seen in their sudden interest in Test cricket. Any thoughts on the crowds and how badly the non local games have been supported?

For the ICC and the BCCI that would be ideal. India has become the financial powerhouse that powers the game. I see it from another angle.. if India won the world cup it would boost ODI's as India would then take it more serious as seen in their sudden interest in Test cricket. Any thoughts on the crowds and how badly the non local games have been supported?
They haven't been that badly supported. I've watched as much as I have possibly could of all teams and the minnows don't have many turning up, but even then they make a hell of a racket, it's still a good atmosphere.

It is up to the teams to make the cricket supporter evince interest in their cricketing fortunes. For example, Ireland had a full house watching them play, when they took on India. After their(Ireland) match against England, they were among the most popular teams in the world cup.

Back