'Driving The Hips' (PLZ REPLY)

Auzayr

'Driving The Hips' (PLZ REPLY)

Hi,
Could someone explain to me how to actually 'drive the hips? I read in Ian Ponts book that it creates a power blast, however, for me nothing happens. When im in my delivery stride i drive my back foot (also hip) towards my front knee. Nothing happens theres no power blast and no increase of speed. Can someone please tell me how to do it correctly for this so called 'power blast'.

Thanks

Re: 'Driving The Hips' (PLZ REPLY)

I attach two pics of a bowler I work with who gets the hip blast (hip drive) superbly. the secret is to keep your back foot in contact with the ground right up until realease of the ball. This is KEY. Delay the bowling arm so it works like a sling shot.

The clip of the bowler in full is also attached so I hope you can see how it all looks to the naked eye from back foot to front foot impact.

This lad is only 15 and is a real prsopect.

I assume (dangerous thing to do, of course), that you prefer a shorter delivery stride rather than one which takes you way forward from your front foot landing.

manee said:
I assume (dangerous thing to do, of course), that you prefer a shorter delivery stride rather than one which takes you way forward from your front foot landing.

Doesn't matter Manee...as long as your knees are tog3ther (level with each other when looking from the side). If you can drive your hips to target and keep your knees in line on release of the ball so everything is front on when you let the ball go, job done!

Here are 2 video clips of me bowling in the nets. Could you please tell me if I have doing the drive correctly and any thing else which i can do to increase my speed plz?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf7BNRfkdWY"]YouTube - Me Bowling In Nets[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHGCnxW2Ilg"]YouTube - Me bowling in nets 2[/ame]

Not really....the images are very poor to analyse but if you look at the clip I attached you will see how the back foot drags along to allow the hip to drive forward with the foot listing before the ball is delivered.

I think you have to imagine kicking a football but not lifting your foot off the floor...

So the hip drive has to be pretty fast.

"Delay the bowling arm so it works like a sling shot"

Also, I have tried hooking my hand under the door frame and nets. How many times to I have to do that in order to actually delay my arm when im actually bowling. Are there any alternative exercises other than hook your arm. Also, how can i use weights to delay the arm.

PS. Thanks for the reply's

www.maverickscricket.com/absat.htm has a coaches forum at the bottom which you can join if you want to have any and all questioned answered directly by me on email.

Most people (players and coaches) use this to get their detailed questions asked...

Back