DVCA Barclay Shield 2020/21

Well I'm yet to hear anyone say anything negative about the one day format. I think many in the lower grades at least are quite happy to be standing in the field only 35/40 overs at a time.

Well I'm yet to hear anyone say anything negative about the one day format. I think many in the lower grades at least are quite happy to be standing in the field only 35/40 overs at a time.
Coming from someone who plays in the lower grades, I call bull tish on that comment.

The only good thing to come from the one day format, is that flat track bullies wont find their way down to lower grades for one day.

Some of us cant slog and need time in the middle.
Some of us bat lower down and now will never really get a chance to improve our batting.

Its perfect for 20/21 ad that's it, bring back longer form in 21/22.

Coming from someone who plays in the lower grades, I call bull tish on that comment. I've not heard our higher grades complain and our lower grade guys love it. I've no reason to lie.

The only good thing to come from the one day format, is that flat track bullies wont find their way down to lower grades for one day. So you agree there is at least one benefit.

Some of us cant slog and need time in the middle. You mean some of you don't want to adapt to a new playing style.
Some of us bat lower down and now will never really get a chance to improve our batting. Your last sentence confirmed you have no intention of changing the way you bat anyway, what does it matter? Besides which improving your game is what training is for.

Its perfect for 20/21 ad that's it, bring back longer form in 21/22. I say throw the gates open and bow to the inevitable one day format. Increase the overs maybe and keep the 12:30 start.

If you wanna play one dayers then go join a one day comp. But especially for younger kids coming up from 3s and 4s, they should learn how to bat out the day or field the whole day as its such an important skills as you go play higher level of cricket and as a grassroots organisation we have a duty to develop this.

If you wanna play one dayers then go join a one day comp. But especially for younger kids coming up from 3s and 4s, they should learn how to bat out the day or field the whole day as its such an important skills as you go play higher level of cricket and as a grassroots organisation we have a duty to develop this.

The proliferation of T20 is driving the game towards the shorter format, especially for the kids. You're thinking here is 15 years out of date, many kids these days don't want to buckle down and learn to bat out a day or spent 80 overs in the field. Why do you think sports like Basketball are slaughtering cricket in regards to the number of kids playing? The game is faster, shorter and includes more action. Imagine you're a kid who doesn't bowl, you might get out cheaply one week and spend the next 2 weeks in the field, its 3 weeks before you get another chance to bat, maybe 4 or 5 if you end up with a DNB that week or a washout. How many kids you see these days that have the mental discipline and patience to keep going in situations like this?

It's not their fault, they are a product of the modern instantly gratification society. Our days of juniors where there was no retirement at 50, if you batted you didn't bowl and if you didn't get a bat, you didn't get to whinge and moan are long over. The organisation must adapt to society because I guarantee you it won't happen the other way around and we frankly have no obligation to develop kids to play in higher league than ours, we have only an obligation to us. The next Ricky Pointings aren't playing juniors in the DVCA anyway.

The proliferation of T20 is driving the game towards the shorter format, especially for the kids. You're thinking here is 15 years out of date, many kids these days don't want to buckle down and learn to bat out a day or spent 80 overs in the field. Why do you think sports like Basketball are slaughtering cricket in regards to the number of kids playing? The game is faster, shorter and includes more action. Imagine you're a kid who doesn't bowl, you might get out cheaply one week and spend the next 2 weeks in the field, its 3 weeks before you get another chance to bat, maybe 4 or 5 if you end up with a DNB that week or a washout. How many kids you see these days that have the mental discipline and patience to keep going in situations like this?

It's not their fault, they are a product of the modern instantly gratification society. Our days of juniors where there was no retirement at 50, if you batted you didn't bowl and if you didn't get a bat, you didn't get to whinge and moan are long over. The organisation must adapt to society because I guarantee you it won't happen the other way around and we frankly have no obligation to develop kids to play in higher league than ours, we have only an obligation to us. The next Ricky Pointings aren't playing juniors in the DVCA anyway.
You actually raise a very good point here.
Kids do have a smaller attention span these days...
But kids won’t be batting every third week, that is what training is for and they can go to training and bat there, clubs should have coaches who emphasise batting time for 2 day cricket

Wise words Hawk Eye. If you don't have players, you don't have clubs. Retention is the absolute key, not finding the next Will Pucovski. He'll be found no matter what format is played. Longer formats can be reserved for Premier Cricket or even subbies who for some reason still believe the standard of cricket they play is superior to ours. Clubs should survey players and be guided entirely by their opinions, especially those players aged under 25. Many country comps are now playing a one-day format. Cricket has always been governed from the very top down by cigar smoking, whiskey drinking, establishment type stiffs who think the game can still be played like it was in 1880. Community cricket club committees need to move with the times. And quickly.

One thing for sure is my club is the beneficiary of an all one-day fixture that's for sure, a lot of re-committed players and returning players.

I personally reckon half/half format, and focus a lot on starting the season with one dayers when there is the clash with footy trips, races etc. and back end the season with 2 dayers with 2 day cricket for the finals. The lower the grades, maybe all one dayers as well because that's where the majority of our returning players and re-committed players have gone to, citing one day cricket as the major reason for the commitment.

We're 2 rounds into a very long and complex season, we'll need to see a whole season of this to gauge how it has truly gone and what the future holds but agree with the above sentiment, adapt or die and I think this little covid-forced change may prove to be a blessing.

Best thing the comp did was conduct the surveys when the season was out. Hopefully they do that moving forward about how cricket can look. At the end of the day if the majority want change, they should get it.

Well done on the DVCA making the changes as well over the week, saved a fair amount of time on the weekend with the more common sense approach adopted.

Heidelberg
Riverside
Epping
Diamo
Plenty
Some great games this week.
Rosanna and Heidelberg both 2-0.. Heidelberg at home though.
Riverside should be able to get over Lower who just don’t seem to have the depth.
North Eltham & Epping.. North are so far the surprise packet for me. Great balance. Eppings stars haven’t performed so far. I think they will this week in a tight game.
Diamond Creek to bounce back vs a very disappointing so far Macleod.
Banyule showing how good a team they are, similar to North Eltham, they have a great bowling balance and will be too strong for plenty.

Back