DVCA One Day Competition

You have some interesting ideas, you probably should have called Wobbles when he was forming the committee to investigate the 1 day comp.

Time has come for this old diamond to re-appear on the DVCA calendar. The Macleod CC have taken the lead and using the rules and regulations that Wobbles and his team came up with a proposal that has been emailed to all clubs. If you have an opinion on HOW, WHEN, WHERE and WHY a one day competition could be run as a proper DCVA grade ensuring there is strict guidelines to maintain integrity then I urge you to send an email to your Secretary and have the Club send this to Macleod CC to show support and assist coming up with a way ahead. The context of Macleods email is:

Dear All DVCA CLUBS,

We have for a number of years now been trying to establish a one day competition. As some of you may be aware a group under the leadership of Tony Mash was formed to investigate the idea of a one day competition and come up with a set of rules. We have attached these for your consideration.

Despite having tried to establish a one-day competition via the rule change proposal process last year and it being voted on at the the 2010 AGM, we did the same in 2011 but have now been advised that the rule change proposal is not the forum to do this.

However, we have been advised by the DVCA President, that the DVCA will attempt to establish a one day grade if sufficient clubs express an interest to play in this grade. Obviously we support the establishment of a one day competition, and we are seeking approximately 9 other clubs to come forward to allow this grade to start.

Last year there were 12 clubs who supported a one day competition, we would urge those clubs to express there support for a one day competition directly to the DVCA (and to us - to enable us to gauge support).

As a competition the DVCA risks falling behind and giving other Associations an unnecessary advantage if a one day competition is not established. Player number across the Association have been declining (we as a club are certainly not immune to this), we strongly believe that a one day competition will provide much needed flexibility for people considering playing and considering coming back to cricket. Demands on people's time is greater than ever and a one day competition creates an avenue for people to be allowed to play cricket with flexibility.

Even if your club may not be interested in fielding a one day grade team next year, we ask that the concept be supported to assist clubs who are keen for this to get across the line.

The rules attached are just a draft and subject to negotiation, if there is a sticking point for your club, please let us know, we are confident that we can work with any club to get a one day competition off the ground.

We think that the one day competition must be played on a Saturday if it is to be successful, we would expect that a one day competition would subsume one of the lower grades (H or I for instance), if there were a two day side in those grade who wished to remain in two day cricket then they of course would have the alternative of playing in F grade etc. We would be of the view that the standard of cricket between F-I grades would be fairly consistent, so that no substantial disadvantage would occur to such sides. The group under Tony Mash initially suggested that a one day competition be played on Sundays due to a lack of grounds, we do not believe this to be an issue, especially if a one day competition replaces an existing grade; it may mean that each grade has to play one Sunday game if there is a dramatic increase in playing numbers, which we believe would only be a minor imposition, for the betterment of the DVCA.

We look forward to hearing from you and to hopefully being able to establish a one day competition that the DVCA can be proud of.

Regards,

MCC
Committee

I have not added the attachment, all Clubs have it.

Cheers

Time has come for this old diamond to re-appear on the DVCA calendar. The Macleod CC have taken the lead and using the rules and regulations that Wobbles and his team came up with a proposal that has been emailed to all clubs. If you have an opinion on HOW, WHEN, WHERE and WHY a one day competition could be run as a proper DCVA grade ensuring there is strict guidelines to maintain integrity then I urge you to send an email to your Secretary and have the Club send this to Macleod CC to show support and assist coming up with a way ahead. The context of Macleods email is:

I have not added the attachment, all Clubs have it.

Cheers

Looks like the one day comp has been approved and will be brought into effect immediately.
Good news for those 12 clubs who voted for it.

I know we are rapt as a club. Now alot of the blokes aged between 23-28 age bracket who we have lost of the last few years due to work, buying houses and generally not wanting to commit to 2 weeks of cricket will be around the club more often. Which can hardly be a bad thing

I know we are rapt as a club. Now alot of the blokes aged between 23-28 age bracket who we have lost of the last few years due to work, buying houses and generally not wanting to commit to 2 weeks of cricket will be around the club more often. Which can hardly be a bad thing
I too hope that the introduction of a One Day Grade may entice players to return back to their clubs to play cricket again. But I fear that it may also give those players who currently play two day cricket to opt for one day cricket as an alternative to the two day format. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Having no player / grade restrictions could be interesting as some clubs could treat this grade as a bit of a hit and giggle & others clubs could take it quite seriously. I can see it now, the A graders who have weddings etc on and cannot play two days of cricket in a particular round, dropping back to the One Day Grade and dominating.
I support the idea of One Day Cricket in the DVCA but I think it may take a couple of seasons to tinker with this format and it's rules before it is considered by all clubs.
I hope it works and we do see new and old players wanting to play cricket again.

I too hope that the introduction of a One Day Grade may entice players to return back to their clubs to play cricket again. But I fear that it may also give those players who currently play two day cricket to opt for one day cricket as an alternative to the two day format. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Having no player / grade restrictions could be interesting as some clubs could treat this grade as a bit of a hit and giggle & others clubs could take it quite seriously. I can see it now, the A graders who have weddings etc on and cannot play two days of cricket in a particular round, dropping back to the One Day Grade and dominating.
I support the idea of One Day Cricket in the DVCA but I think it may take a couple of seasons to tinker with this format and it's rules before it is considered by all clubs.
I hope it works and we do see new and old players wanting to play cricket again.

Great that it is happening but really needs at least 2 divisions.
Would be horrible to see say for example keaysy bowling to someone 55+ - might get seriously ugly.

'A' grade for those whose are serious, open slather for anyone from any grade.
'B' grade for those D graders and under.(cant have played C+ in last 12 months)
from the feedback so far, I would not be surpised to see 16-20 teams nominated and 2 divisions.

Great that it is happening but really needs at least 2 divisions.
Would be horrible to see say for example keaysy bowling to someone 55+ - might get seriously ugly.

'A' grade for those whose are serious, open slather for anyone from any grade.
'B' grade for those D graders and under.(cant have played C+ in last 12 months)
from the feedback so far, I would not be surpised to see 16-20 teams nominated and 2 divisions.
I hope the interest by clubs you suggest is correct, and I agree on the scenario of a A grade gun bowling to lower grade cricketers, shouldnt happen. Perhaps the two tiers you suggest would eleviate this scenario of inequality. Looking forward to see how it all pans out.

I hope the interest by clubs you suggest is correct, and I agree on the scenario of a A grade gun bowling to lower grade cricketers, shouldnt happen. Perhaps the two tiers you suggest would eleviate this scenario of inequality. Looking forward to see how it all pans out.

That is a very good suggestion which I hope is taken into consideration.
The DVCA were going to form some type of committee for 1 day cricket. Anyone heard anything else on this ?

Back