DVCA: Representative Sides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA: Barclay Shield

Bundoora;313707 said:
correct weight:p

3 points

1. No need to argue what he did last year, if the side was picked on last season i would have thought last seasons comp bowling age winner may have been asked:(

2. who cares how old johnno is, keaysy & Bakes played, joc should have been asked in my opinion

And my last point, if Shane Doyle is picked in next years side then it's time for a complete overhaul:D:D

I don't know if you can pick a bloke who isn't even the full time keeper for his club. Lovey is also on the selection committee, so I'm sure Johnno's interests were well represented too.

I'm desperate to get picked next year - Mark and Steve have both represented the DVCA and I'm starting to feel like Dean Waugh!!!

Bundoora;313707 said:
correct weight:p

3 points

1. No need to argue what he did last year, if the side was picked on last season i would have thought last seasons comp bowling age winner may have been asked:(

2. who cares how old johnno is, keaysy & Bakes played, joc should have been asked in my opinion

And my last point, if Shane Doyle is picked in next years side then it's time for a complete overhaul:D:D

the only comment i have on the rep team is a lack of pace bowlers where are the rosbrooks/adams / kande/ bakers it seems to be a docile bowling attack.

milo kerrigan;313733 said:
the only comment i have on the rep team is a lack of pace bowlers where are the rosbrooks/adams / kande/ bakers it seems to be a docile bowling attack.

stu adams is overseas and unavailable and kande is available but probably not picked because he IS from overseas:confused:

Bundoora;313743 said:
stu adams is overseas and unavailable and kande is available but probably not picked because he IS from overseas:confused:

well if you look at the jika team they have 3-4 of the imports in there squad and last year the wick from keon park had our top order jumping around , i believe if kande is one of the comps top performers he should be picked

Bundoora;313743 said:

it's been brought to my attention that my comment may be seen as having a dig at the selectors, ie: racism.

this is not the case, i apologise if anyone took it this way.
I think Mick Mash, Lovey & Gibbsy are the selectors and as i understand them along with the executive have decided to promote our "homegrown talent", which we have plenty, instead of playing imports in the showcase games for the comp. i'm not questioning there right to do this, i just don't agree with it. As far as i'm concerned if you play in Barclay Shield you should be available to be picked.

Or i could be totally wrong and he was not considered good enough.

Either way i'll be there having a look and hoping they get the chocolates....

my prediction - keaysy to bowl his 10 straight and come off and put the shorts & thongs on

Bundoora;314191 said:
it's been brought to my attention that my comment may be seen as having a dig at the selectors, ie: racism.

this is not the case, i apologise if anyone took it this way.
I think Mick Mash, Lovey & Gibbsy are the selectors and as i understand them along with the executive have decided to promote our "homegrown talent", which we have plenty, instead of playing imports in the showcase games for the comp. i'm not questioning there right to do this, i just don't agree with it. As far as i'm concerned if you play in Barclay Shield you should be available to be picked.

Or i could be totally wrong and he was not considered good enough.

Either way i'll be there having a look and hoping they get the chocolates....

my prediction - keaysy to bowl his 10 straight and come off and put the shorts & thongs on

Good point, Jika have used their imports last year and they gave us a good touch up, its an interesting situation but I tend to agree with you and anyone that is good enough to play and is available shold be considered. The argument against is will we be full of inmports one day.....I actually don't care it may give them more pride in the Valley and keep them around.

Bubble Wrap;313386 said:
1. For starters, you can forget the number of catches and stumpings - they prove SFA.

2. As far as batting goes, I'm not sure that really comes into it either. I mean, if you go through the team, you'd hope all that batting talent means its not up to the keeper to get them over the line.

3. Steve also bats at number 3, which is far harder than where most (if not all) of those other blokes

Byes conceded:

Doyle - 3 in 7 games
Sing - 29 in 8 games
McClean - 19 in 7 games
Johnno - 21 in 6 games
AT - 11 in 5 games

4. I might be a tad biased, but I reckon he's got every keeper on your list covered in terms of ability with the gloves.

Shane, I have know you and Steve for a number of years, and have the utmost respect for both of you, but this post of yours is dead set CRAP! I have outlined 4 dot points of your argument and will respond to each explaining why you are so far from the mark. This is NOT a direct crack at Steve just your comments.

1. Catching is why the keep is there. Yes, if the bowler is not getting edge's then he can't take catches. But is the keeper showing some balls, going up to the stumps to get those that fall short? Are they not getting the ones that are down leg side. Whilst I am NOT saying this about Steve, what I am saying is he may only have 8 catches (or whatever) but is that due to him not getting to some etc.?

2. Quite possibly the dumbest thing i have ever heard. If the number of catches doesn't matter, and batting doesn't matter what the F are they in there for? The amount of runs a keeper makes is so crucial to a win or a loss. If a keeper makes runs, its a massive bonus, or gets you out of trouble. So he is just as important as your opener!

3. Yes batting at 3 is harder. But you said making runs doesn't really matter, so who cares where he bats? Those stats of his just shows that although he is batting up the order, maybe it's because you have no one else? Because having your number 3 bat make 60 runs for the year is not enough.

4. You say that he has the least amount of byes. I will ask you this. Who is the spinner at Riverside. I may be wrong, but I can''t think of one. I know you have a part timer here and there, but a true spinner. THerefore if you don't have one, then Steve is back, not at the stumps. Making it easier not to let byes through!

As I said at the start, its not about what I think of you or Steve as a cricketer. But i honestly believe that Steve did not earn his spot this year. If Gibbsy wasn't the captain, he wouldn't have got a game. It is common knowledge that the two are very close. But I'm rapt for him that he got a game, and hope he gets some runs (not that it matters hey)

I know I'll get drilled over this post, but I had to write it! Cheers

Re: DVCA: Representative Sides

Just like to let people know that Dinesh , bundoora opening bowler, was asked to play in the comp game when keaysy pulled out. problem was i didn't get the message ( left my phone at the in laws on sunday ) until 11:00 on Monday. That's why he didn't play.

Conrats to all the guys on a good win, wasn't able to get there but listened to parts on the radio and sounded like we controlled the majority of the match.

legend of a bear;316383 said:
must have been tough, -not using the TAB phone account for one whole day! :D

still had the home phone!!

how did you spend your saturday off?, looks like your game could go to the wire

Bundoora;316388 said:
still had the home phone!!

how did you spend your saturday off?, looks like your game could go to the wire

i think i'm averaging in the low 20's for the year. i certainly beat me average on saturday. -last count was 27 pure blondes.

could go down to the wire, -could get heated off too. may've been a good decision by us not to appeal :cool::cool:

Tongs;315284 said:
Shane, I have know you and Steve for a number of years, and have the utmost respect for both of you, but this post of yours is dead set CRAP! I have outlined 4 dot points of your argument and will respond to each explaining why you are so far from the mark. This is NOT a direct crack at Steve just your comments.

1. Catching is why the keep is there. Yes, if the bowler is not getting edge's then he can't take catches. But is the keeper showing some balls, going up to the stumps to get those that fall short? Are they not getting the ones that are down leg side. Whilst I am NOT saying this about Steve, what I am saying is he may only have 8 catches (or whatever) but is that due to him not getting to some etc.?

2. Quite possibly the dumbest thing i have ever heard. If the number of catches doesn't matter, and batting doesn't matter what the F are they in there for? The amount of runs a keeper makes is so crucial to a win or a loss. If a keeper makes runs, its a massive bonus, or gets you out of trouble. So he is just as important as your opener!

3. Yes batting at 3 is harder. But you said making runs doesn't really matter, so who cares where he bats? Those stats of his just shows that although he is batting up the order, maybe it's because you have no one else? Because having your number 3 bat make 60 runs for the year is not enough.

4. You say that he has the least amount of byes. I will ask you this. Who is the spinner at Riverside. I may be wrong, but I can''t think of one. I know you have a part timer here and there, but a true spinner. THerefore if you don't have one, then Steve is back, not at the stumps. Making it easier not to let byes through!

As I said at the start, its not about what I think of you or Steve as a cricketer. But i honestly believe that Steve did not earn his spot this year. If Gibbsy wasn't the captain, he wouldn't have got a game. It is common knowledge that the two are very close. But I'm rapt for him that he got a game, and hope he gets some runs (not that it matters hey)

Just thought i'd reply as a wicketkeeper.
Thats a pretty poor argument TONGS your obviously not a wicketkeeper. if your a wicketkeeper keeping up to the stumps to a pace bowler you are gonna miss far more catches than if your standing back. the main reason keepers go up to the stumps is to either bring a batsman back into he's crease or to maybe get a stumping. It's not like you get 3 nicks a game falling short. Most of the time a nick off a pace bowler up to the stumps either goes in or it doesn't. if it's a thickish edge your very rarely gonna take it up the the stumps.

As far as this comp side goes surely you pick the 5 best bowlers, the 5 best bats and the best gloveman.

Canon;316623 said:
Just thought i'd reply as a wicketkeeper.
Thats a pretty poor argument TONGS your obviously not a wicketkeeper. if your a wicketkeeper keeping up to the stumps to a pace bowler you are gonna miss far more catches than if your standing back. the main reason keepers go up to the stumps is to either bring a batsman back into he's crease or to maybe get a stumping. It's not like you get 3 nicks a game falling short. Most of the time a nick off a pace bowler up to the stumps either goes in or it doesn't. if it's a thickish edge your very rarely gonna take it up the the stumps.

As far as this comp side goes surely you pick the 5 best bowlers, the 5 best bats and the best gloveman.

Before commenting, read what I was replying too. My pointsa were in reference to someone elses comments!

Tongs;315284 said:

In response to the above.

1) I haven't played all season with Steve, but from the games I have, it's highly unlikely that catches have gone begging because of where he stands or his movement. I can see your point that some keepers might miss an opportunity from poor positioning or footwork, but I just don't think that's an issue with Steve. Other blokes on the original list are more likely to have agility issues than Steve.

2) The number of catches does matter. More specifically, the number of dropped catches. All I'm saying is that you can't judge a keeper on the number of catches they've taken as that's only half a story. What if one keeper has taken 8 from 8, and another has taken 10 from 14? The list provided by Brad shows keepers with more catches, but they may have dropped more as well. As far as runs go, they shouldn't be much of a factor in any decision on a keeper. It is my belief that you pick the best gloveman first and foremost, and any batting they give you is a bonus.

3) The only reason I brought up where he bats is in response to the listed batting averages. Like I say, I would hardly look at the batting in picking the keeper anyway, but if someone did want to consider the batting, then they should also consider where the person bats. I think Steve would be able to average in the 20's if he had the luxury of coming in at 8 or 9, but like you say, he has batted at number 3 out of necessity. Do you honestly believe any of the other bats listed would average above 15 if they were made to bat at 3?

4) There's plenty of other keepers on that list with far more byes that also don't keep to any spinners of note. I think Singy might be the only one that has to contend with a top-notch spinner? The others (including Riverside) seem to have a few part-time tweakers that roll the arm over here and there. Having said that, Steve also comes up to the stumps to Gibbo, Wellington and Smale often enough, so he's had ample chance to concede byes. He hasn't because he's been good enough not to.

Also, I wouldn't have said Gibbo and Steve are any closer than Gibbo and any other A grade player, and I think I'm in a pretty good position to know that...

Finally, don't give me the problem, give me the solution! Who should have got the nod for the keeping spot? I think you could probably make a case for a couple of others, but I don't think there is anyone that can clearly be considered top of the heap.

Shane, just one question about this, and its in non relation to Steve, he got the game and good on him. Keeps as well as any in the comp.

It is in response to point 2. Picking the best gloveman first and foremost, by that Gilly would hardly have played a test for Australia, surely it is a mix of both. Surely you can see that?

Bubble Wrap;316912 said:
In response to the above.

1) I haven't played all season with Steve, but from the games I have, it's highly unlikely that catches have gone begging because of where he stands or his movement. I can see your point that some keepers might miss an opportunity from poor positioning or footwork, but I just don't think that's an issue with Steve. Other blokes on the original list are more likely to have agility issues than Steve.

2) The number of catches does matter. More specifically, the number of dropped catches. All I'm saying is that you can't judge a keeper on the number of catches they've taken as that's only half a story. What if one keeper has taken 8 from 8, and another has taken 10 from 14? The list provided by Brad shows keepers with more catches, but they may have dropped more as well. As far as runs go, they shouldn't be much of a factor in any decision on a keeper. It is my belief that you pick the best gloveman first and foremost, and any batting they give you is a bonus.

3) The only reason I brought up where he bats is in response to the listed batting averages. Like I say, I would hardly look at the batting in picking the keeper anyway, but if someone did want to consider the batting, then they should also consider where the person bats. I think Steve would be able to average in the 20's if he had the luxury of coming in at 8 or 9, but like you say, he has batted at number 3 out of necessity. Do you honestly believe any of the other bats listed would average above 15 if they were made to bat at 3?

4) There's plenty of other keepers on that list with far more byes that also don't keep to any spinners of note. I think Singy might be the only one that has to contend with a top-notch spinner? The others (including Riverside) seem to have a few part-time tweakers that roll the arm over here and there. Having said that, Steve also comes up to the stumps to Gibbo, Wellington and Smale often enough, so he's had ample chance to concede byes. He hasn't because he's been good enough not to.

Also, I wouldn't have said Gibbo and Steve are any closer than Gibbo and any other A grade player, and I think I'm in a pretty good position to know that...

Finally, don't give me the problem, give me the solution! Who should have got the nod for the keeping spot? I think you could probably make a case for a couple of others, but I don't think there is anyone that can clearly be considered top of the heap.

why didn't they just keep Volpe, he took 6 catches the week before, and player an extra bowler/bat?

in the end the team won, Steve kept, Gibbsy got 5 wickets, the pig was a late replacement for keaysy, yet that wasn't the biggest talking point at Riverside, what about the bloke that smashed 100 in the 2's on Saturday??

Tongs;315284 said:

Can you find anyone do anything better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back