Eca 2012/13

So, the recap.
Fantastic win by Surrey Hills chasing down 350. Their Sri Lankan player looks to be a star. More runs for him. Massive questions about ED not being able to defend 350.
Another rubbish performance by Boronia against a strong Ashy side who are still right in it. Stalloworthy to take them and their clapping to A Turf?
Looks like MA just got the job done against Haw. MA's Pom has had a couple of good games in a row. Undefeated and good %; makes thier game against GI the match of the season so far.
Deep a good performance against Skevs in the GF rematch. Bit worried about Skevs at the moment, they are just going and have Deep turned the corner? Any scores anyone? Nothing up on the web yet.
NB hit a hurdle on the weekend. GI are still the flag favs, but not being able to chase down 116 and losing 9/35 or whatever is pretty pathetic. Destined for mid table mediocrity?
Mully a great win on the weekend. Hard to get a handle on them-they have had a few really good wins against the weaker sides but beaten by Skevs and MA with a hard run home makes it look hard for them to make the 4. Marc are struggling and one of 3 destined for a hard fought relegation battle.

Called past Deepdene for 30 mins on Sat, they'd already won, Parsons 80 odd, Strempel also was not out 50 odd

Pretty big runs being made at Eric Raven this year ...see Bulleen racked up 5/337 off 47.1 overs! Porter 183....fair effort

Congrats to Surrey .... great chase and they timed it well getting home in the 79th over. THe Sri Lankan the key to then staying up although it looks like they might be able to do enough. ED now under pressure and their bowling stocks look a little thin. Dale bowling 32 in the heat a big effort.

Boronia in 'licorice allsorts' of trouble now and having played all teams around the mark for relegation look a certainty for a-turf . Burwood /boronia match-up next year will be a cracker ! Ashy will play finals.

MA just keep getting job done and seem to always find a good international. Must have some great connections with the 'old dart' !! Baker back in the runs. Hawthorn a bit disappointing - i think they may miss finals.

Deepdene v skevs - no scorebook up from either side so presume they have both lost interest and looking forward to some beach weather. Deepdene would need to win everygame from here to make it .... unlikely they can safely plan March holidays.

GI vs Nth Balwyn - agree GI have to be flag favorite ... believe they can win from anywhere and got away with one on the weekend. looks like binney bowled his guts out again for NB but seems to have no support . Binney has to have blinders for them to win.

Mulgrave v Marcellin - Marcellin and Boronia favs to go down . Mulgrave seem to have plenty of options with Bat and ball BUT i believe the POM is missing after Xmas due to being recalled for English pre-season ..... think they will make finals but not in same form as MA & GI .

I have no idea why, but with the day off work today, I've just done a brief comparison for the GI v MA debate.

GI:
Top 5 batting averages for them are:
Taylor the Pom - 313 runs @ 44
Grubich - averaging 73 and having an outstanding year
McDermott - averaging 27 with a top of 42
Stafford - average 30 with 150 runs
Armstrong - averaging 21 with a top of 57

Would say their batting is pretty weak.

The top 5 average is 39.27 per player.

GI Bowling
Taylor the Pom 14 wickets @ 9 - outstanding. A bit like their other Pom 2 years ago.
Stafford - 10 wickets at 14.6
Grubich - 9 wickets at 20
Carey - 6 wickets at 16
Armstrong - 4 wickets at 14.5

Top 5 averaging 8.6 wickets at 17.78

MA Batting:
Wright - 209 runs at 41.8
Vance - 200 at 50
Hargreaves - 151 at 50.33
Baker - 132 at 132
Blakely - 113 at 22.6

Top 5 averaging 59.35

MA Bowling:
Porter - 12 at 15
Hargreaves - 8 at 20
Jackson - 7 wickets at 11.5
Orchard - 7 wickets at 28
Vance - 6 wickets at 14

Top 5 averaging 8 wickets at 17.75

So if the game this week was played on paper, MA's batting is far superior to GI's and the bowling is almost identical. On this, MA should be too strong for GI this week and if they can keep Grubich and Taylor down on runs they will win.
For GI to win they need to control Wright, Vance, Baker and Hargreaves with the bat and be better with their batting against an even, but not amazing, bowling lineup.

I need to get a part time job for days like this.

If I stay in the 2's this week, I'm going to Eric Raven to watch this game.

I'd like to do this for all games, but I won't. Maybe I need to work in stats at Cricket Australia.

Good comparison there mate, can you do that for every team this week! draw looks good for a huge end of the year.
GI - MA obviously match of the round but the Ashy - Mulgrave game looks a good one also, even the Haw-Bor game should be good with that being Boronias last chance. Think every single game is interesting and shapes the year. May as well do my tips and include all games!

GI v MA Match of the round. Think MA just as their bowling is disciplined on the small ground. Hargaves to make plenty with his leg side barrage. Taylor for GI has great stats.. got a good one there, same as MA!
Marc v Deep Marc made 360 & 230 which is decent so would love to see an upset. Won't happen, Parsons to make plenty, possibly another double tonne in the round.
St Kev v SH Close game perhaps but don't think the Surrey bowling will trouble Fernon/Crawf and co. Looks to be a bat off and whoever gets runs on the board may have an advantage.
Haw v Bor Going with a big upset this game. Last chance for Bor or A turf certainty. Bowen to get 3 votes as he is better than what his season stats say.
ED v NB After making runs I think ED look ok. Dale must get a bag for them to win. NB batting struggling a bit at the moment and will against Dale. Very close call on this one though....
Ashy v Mulg Another upset I recon. Mulg batting looking strong, POM to make runs. I noticed Aldons wasnt playing and still made 5-300. Is Aldons back this week? close game and if Cox fails then def Mulgrave.

My tips:
MA v GI - can't do the form and then tip against it. Whoever wins this is flag fav for mine.
Marc v Deep - there is a very real possibility that Parsons could make 300
Skevs v SH - Think they're good things, but SH are going better than their ladder position
Haw v Bor - cannot possibly tip Boronia
ED v NB - Batting too strong for NB. ED in real trouble if they lose.
Ashy v Mully - Mully v strong batting v Ashy strong bowling the key. Whoever wins that side of the battle wins the game. Tipped Ashy at home. Maybe a bit too classy. Mully Pom will like the short boundaries and quick outfield.

I decided to do the Ashy/Mully game too, in the interests of fairness:
Ashy top 5 batting:
Cox 201 at 50.25
Richards 145 at 29
O'Bryan 107 at 36
Lamont 95 at 32
Goodwin 93 at 23.25

Southern Punter would be disappointed not to be in this list and Swift has been poor with the bat. Not a lot of runs scored there, especially with their wicket being a road this year and the outfield still lightning.

Top 5 batsmen are averaging 33.97 - not strong compared to GI/MA from yesterday.

Ashy bowling:
Goodwin 14 wickets at 12.36
Yeo 10 at 17.8
Swift 8 wickets at 15
Presley 7 at 14
McDougall 6 wickets at 15

Average: 9 wickets at 14.84. Better bowling than both teams yesterday.

Mully Batting:
Dean Day 290 at 48.33 - great start to his year, especially with his nude leggies thrown in.
Mason 193 at 32
Davies 151 at 31.6
Algaratnam 138 at 27.6
Aldons 124 at 31

Top 5 batsmen are averaging 34.14, basically the same as Ashy. Both batting teams essentially as strong as each other, so saying one is better than the other is folly from now on.

Mully bowling:
Crowden 14 at 17.5
Dean Day 11 at 13
Young 9 at 20
Smreck 7 at 19
Flintoff 5 at 28.4

Average 9.2 wickets at 19.49.

On this, all things being equal, Ashy wins because Mully's bowling isn't strong enough to beat them.

Of course, games aren't played on paper.

Good luck to both teams.

My tips:
MA v GI - can't do the form and then tip against it. Whoever wins this is flag fav for mine.
Marc v Deep - there is a very real possibility that Parsons could make 300
Skevs v SH - Think they're good things, but SH are going better than their ladder position
Haw v Bor - cannot possibly tip Boronia
ED v NB - Batting too strong for NB. ED in real trouble if they lose.
Ashy v Mully - Mully v strong batting v Ashy strong bowling the key. Whoever wins that side of the battle wins the game. Tipped Ashy at home. Maybe a bit too classy. Mully Pom will like the short boundaries and quick outfield.
MA - at home
DB - should make enough runs
HAW - after tipping the blokes who wear suits pants to cricket early on in the year, cannot tip them to beat anyone anymore
SK - bit different batting out at Skevies than it is at Surrey
NB - after a good win v the Parson's XI, they couldn't bowl out SH
ASHY - too many good players

MA - at home
DB - should make enough runs
HAW - after tipping the blokes who wear suits pants to cricket early on in the year, cannot tip them to beat anyone anymore
SK - bit different batting out at Skevies than it is at Surrey
NB - after a good win v the Parson's XI, they couldn't bowl out SH
ASHY - too many good players

Correct me I'm wrong but isn't GI playing MA at GI?

Tipping ladder update after Round 6.

Maestro 26
Council Mayor 24
Paintball Lover 21
Cricket Stump 20
Watto 20
The Undertaker 19
Washout 18Chaiman Mao 17
Mad Max 16

Sorry guys but I'm sneaking away (will regret bragging when I low score next round.)
The Undertaker making a move, The mayor not far off. Max hitting rock bottom after going for some outsiders.

Good luck in the final round to Christmas.

MA v GI - great game but GI for me.
Marc v Deep - very close one. Go for Marc at home.
Skevs v SH - Skevs shaky - SH in form.
Haw v Bor - cannot tip the Mountain men.
ED v NB - ED to hit back after embarressment.
Ashy v Mully - Ashy too strong.

Have gone for a few outsiders. Will either kick clear or be passed by the Mayor.

Back