Energy leaking out of bowling action...

Woggles86

Energy leaking out of bowling action...

Hi there

I used to be pretty quick and a good bowler in school, must have got to 70-75mph before my back problem kicked in, and now I'm playing cricket again after not playing for a few years. My bowling action however has changed so much, just feels so different to before. When I bowl in the nets I reckon I can bowl a decent pace but I just can't do the same out in the middle, I'm losing a lot of pace somewhere, my energy is leaking out of my action. I just can't explode through the crease.

I've included a few videos of my bowling from different angles below. I would appreciate any advice that I can use to improve my action and make it as efficient as possible and bowl as quick as I'm able.

Thanks
Greg

YouTube - Behind bowling arm

YouTube - Side on 1

YouTube - Side on 2

Re: Energy leaking out of bowling action...

OK the big problem is that you are not driving towards the target. Your action looks great but falls apart a bit at the end. I like the foot drag especially, but right after that you lose momentum by 'pulling out' instead of driving your knee through.

here is a picture of knee drive as it should be in the follow through. Notice the back knee is driven well past the front knee:

3739595596_606d63e23e.jpg

Here is your follow through with the back knee still behind the front knee:

3739595982_2ed880aca4.jpg

The hips are where the power comes from and when you leave your back hip behind all the power leaks out.

There is a drill to correct this called the "three knee drill". You can get it from somewhere I'm not allowed to metion for advertising reasons.

By the way, great videos, totally perfect for diagnosing the problem.

Thanks for the advice to correct the problem. Will be working on that. Found the 3 knee drill too. Just struggle a little cause I reckon my action is too far side on. Will see how it goes and post back here.

I would not say you are too side on, look at your position at the point of delivery:

fronton.JPG

Your nose and shoulders are front on and your hips are trying to be front on although your right hip is trailing slightly.

Your back (right) leg is crossed behind your front leg which is closing you off a bit and probably stopping you from driving your hip through properly, is that what you mean?

Yeah that's what I'm meaning. How do you reckon I could free my stance up for my back leg to pull through? Maybe change my action to more front on? Just feels that my back leg swings round instead of going straight through to the target.

It's not practical to try changing your whole action, it would take weeks if not months to get right.

The 3 knee drill will help you groove your foot position.

i tryed using the knee's more, it gave me more pace. thanks micoach.

Back