Energy systems required for a batsman to score 100 runs

john wilson

Energy systems required for a batsman to score 100 runs

Sorry If I placed this question on the wrong place.
What would be the requirements of a batsman in terms of muscles and energy systems used for a batsman batting all day in order to score 100 runs.

I mean in terms of aerobic or anaerobic requirements and muscle fibres used, and what fuel would be best, both for re-hydration and replacing energy used.

Thanks

Re: Energy systems required for a batsman to score 100 runs

Ps from John

this would be for a First Class Cricketer or at least someone aspiring to be one.

No worries John.

As you mentioned, this is a complex subject. I assume you are asking for your own performance but if you are asking from a coaching point of view or for coursework, please let us know.

We can help you but so that we give you the right advice and/or aim it at the right level, we need to know how old you are; there are training restrictions on certain age groups.

We would also need to know where you are at the moment:
How long have you been playing all day matches?
How many overs?
Are they always in the UK, during Summer?
What is your current average?
How many spells are you usually asked to bowl during an average match?

Anything else you can tell us will help. Without narrowing the area down a little, I am afraid the answer to your question would fill a text book :D

This is for course work, I am a Level III ECB Coach, and also a Level II Fitness and Conditioning Coach and the question is in a paper that I am doing at the moment.

The Level required would be for a First Class cricketer.

Ahh John, I had an inkling this is where you were coming from ;)

As you can appreciate, I cannot answer the question for you [not even for money :laugh:], however, if you tell me how many words, I can give you the information you need to allow you to answer the question.

I need the word total so that I know how deep they expect you to go into.

Thanks, I am really looking for 10 bullet points with the main themes being covered perhaps no more than 250 words or so.

I think I have the gist of the questions but need a bit more to go on.

Thanks

Energy Systems:
As you are a L2 Fitness and Conditioning Coach, you will know the importance of ADP but ask if you need a refresher.

When movement begins, ATP in muscle is used within 1-2 seconds.
Although glucose breakdown has begun, it will be several more seconds before ATP can be generated at any appreciable rate.
As there is insufficient blood getting through to the muscles at this point, fat cannot be utilised. This can take 20-30 minutes, depending on level of fitness.

1. Creatine Phosphate/Phosphagen (ATP-PC)
CP + ADP = ATP C
Explosive movements/short burst of activity (10 secs)

This small store solves the problem. Although CP cannot be used directly to bring about muscle contraction, it can easily donate its phosphate, making ATP in one step, providing about 10 more seconds worth of energy.

2. Anaerobic Lactic Acid System/Anaerobic Glycolytic
ADP + P + glycogen = ATP + lactate
Limited periods of high intensity work (2-3 mins)

There is still insufficient oxygen so glucose is the only source that can be metabolised for ATP synthesis. It can manage without oxygen to produce a little of the ATP-3 molecules (glycolysis).

Some muscle cells, particularly Type 2 fibres are adapted well to carry out fast rates of glycolysis, however, they cannot tolerate high levels of lactate!

3. Aerobic Oxydative
ADP + P + 02 + glycogen = ADP + CO2 + H2O and fat
Long term (> 2-3 mins to several hours medium to low intensity)

Sorry John, have nets for the next two hours, cover muscle fibres tomorrow.

That post really takes me back to A'Level sports studies, reading through and it starts to make sense again!

john wilson said:
Thanks I look forward to your further input tomorrow.

No worries, I shall get back to you as soon as I can.

In the meantime, bear in mind that cricket is an intermittent activity sport. Although the batsman will be involved in the game all day, he will not be 'active' all day. Most of the time he will be inactive, only using those components necessary to keep him upright, breathing, walking in (fielding), watching (when batting) etc. He will only call on all his resources when necessary; actually batting, running the wicket, catching a ball, throwing in etc. If he is to achieve a century in one day, most of these will, hopefully, come from 4s and 6s so think about what happens in between. :D

Muscle Fibre Types:

Muscle cells differ in terms of two important properties:

1. Contraction speed
2. Preferred method of generating energy in the form of ATP

Speed of contraction depends on the type of motor neuron supplying them and the speed at which the fibre cells can split ATP. (Faster = greater number of contractile cycles in any unit of time).

They are divided into:
Slow Twitch (Type 1)
Fast Twitch (Type 2)

Slow Twitch

Type 1 generate their ATP mainly in the presence of oxygen, hence, slow oxidative (SO) fibres.

They contract smoothly and gradually, taking 40-50 milliseconds (ms) to reach maximum contraction and the same to relax.

They need to have a good supply of capillaries bringing them oxygenated blood to generate their ATP.

Good at extracting oxygen from blood.

Aerobic generation of ATP can only take place inside mitochondria; Type 1 have many.

Good fat burners.

End products, H2O and CO2, which are easily dealt with so are resistant to fatigue.

Fast Twitch

These fall into two groups:

One predominantly generates ATP anaerobically (glycolysis) – Fast Glycolytic Type 2b (FG) fibres.

Type 2a are ‘sort of’ intermediate and can generate ATP by a mixture of aerobic and anaerobic metabolism – Fast Oxidative Glycolytic (FOG) fibres.

When stimulated, Type 2 fibres reach their maximum contraction very quickly, about 5 ms, generating considerable power (strength and speed).

They generate ATP faster than Type 1 and do not need an oxygen supply so can occur at near maxHR, this allows high work rates and levels of performance.

Not much mitochondria, myoglobin nor good blood supply, leaving room for more actin and myosin filaments [ask if you need refresher] = more pulling power.

Can only use glucose as its energy source! The ability to generate ATP depends on the availability of glucose stored inside the muscle cells!!!

Produces lactic acid as by-product, which prevents further production of ATP in Type 2 fibres if there is a large build up. They fatigue easily but if intensity eases the lactic acid diffuses out of the muscle and production resumes.

Here is my 2p.

There has been virtually no research into energy systems for cricket as far as I can find. That means coaches have to make their own assessments which I find bizzare.

While there is clearly a lot of very low level aerobic activity (standing, walking, jogging) while at the crease for a couple of hours there is an interesting effect of fatigue via repeated short bouts of activity (sprinting between the wickets, playing shots). This is an area I have never fully understood - why do you get tired essentially standing around with the odd powerful movement now and again?

Liz any ideas? Low level fatigue? Lactic Acid?

Anyway, back to the question. I have not ever answered it directly but here are some tips:

http://www.harrowdrive.com/what-muscles-are-used-in-a-cricket-shot/
http://www.harrowdrive.com/the-golden-rules-of-cricket-fitness/
http://www.harrowdrive.com/why-good-cricketers-care-about-work-capacity/
http://www.harrowdrive.com/why-you-need-to-drink-more-than-squash/

Hmm i feel a post coming on.

Thanks for your help. That about covers it, and now I can sit down and get to work. Thanks again. :D

Harrowdrive said:
... This is an area I have never fully understood - why do you get tired essentially standing around with the odd powerful movement now and again?

Liz any ideas? Low level fatigue? Lactic Acid?

I believe [and it is only my belief] that the tiredness is mainly mental [well I would, wouldn't I :D].

Although [say] a fielder is not moving much, he/she is alert, watching and preparing for any situation [or they should be ;)]. They are never sure what is going to happen next but [if they are doing their job correctly ;)], their bodies are often poised, ready to 'pounce'. It is the constant 'being on one's toes' mentally that is tiring.

Of course, that is just my belief.

John, if you are still around, I think this true story may help:

Western Australia - 1894

The Times Diary reports that one, Cogg, approached the visiting batsman in a slow, loping jog. He sent off a ball which filled the batsman with no fear whatsoever, as this gentleman dispatched it, with such force, that it cleared the boundary still sufficiently airborne to land in a nearby tree. There it was caught very firmly and held in the fork between three branches.

The umpire, being a man who knew his rules and who was obviously blessed with better eyesight than some of his modern day contemporaries, noticed that the ball was still visible and had not reached the ground. Therefore, he ruled, the batsmen should carry on running.

Two fielders attempted to retrieve the ball by climbing the tree, but the lower branches could not handle their weight and collapsed. As staring at the ball did not help, a team decision was taken to chop the tree down. This resulted in a lengthy search for an axe, complicated by the nervous tension caused by seeing the other team's batsmen still running, albeit now at a more leisurely pace.

Eventually consensus was reached that the search for an axe was as fruitless as staring or swearing at the ball. The quest for an axe was not entirely in vain, however, as it did produce a rifle. This being the best available instrument of retrieval, the afternoon calm was disturbed by the angry sound of rifle shots as the fielding team attempted to shoot the ball down.

They finally gave up when they realised the visitors had declared after completing 286 runs. The two batsman were no longer running and the entire team had retired to the stands from where they were showing their appreciation for the extravagant fielding of the home side.

Think about the energy systems used by these batsmen and how it differs from the norm.

Liz Ward said:
I believe [and it is only my belief] that the tiredness is mainly mental [well I would, wouldn't I :D].

Although [say] a fielder is not moving much, he/she is alert, watching and preparing for any situation [or they should be ;)]. They are never sure what is going to happen next but [if they are doing their job correctly ;)], their bodies are often poised, ready to 'pounce'. It is the constant 'being on one's toes' mentally that is tiring.

Of course, that is just my belief.

My belief is that the legs are fatigued by standing still for large periods of time and they stiffen up, reminiscent of what happens after a session (the equivalent being an innings or bowling some overs earlier) if you do not warm down.

EDIT: Great story, Liz.

Harrowdrive said:
Here is my 2p.

Or 4 cents :laugh:

manee said:
My belief is that the legs are fatigued by standing still for large periods of time and they stiffen up, reminiscent of what happens after a session (the equivalent being an innings or bowling some overs earlier) if you do not warm down.

I would prefer my guys not to stand still for any period of time ;) but yes, if you are not used to being in the standing position, and few people are these days, it will fatigue your legs. If you do not have the required core support (strength and stability) there is a lot of work on your muscles, just to keep you upright, that they are not used to.

However, those with the correct fitness levels (David ;)) should not encounter these difficulties.

Liz Ward said:

After reading the post from Harrowdrive, that was my initial thought, it must be a combination of mental fatigue as well as the more expected physical.

Also, the physical element is not just on one level, it is often a mixture of low level and then spates of high level exertion which must have an effect as you are, I guess, drawing from different energy systems over a period of time?

Dont forget hands, wrists and forearms. In countries like sri lanka batsman have had to retire due to cramps in their hands e.g gibbs in the champions trophy.

Back