England in Bangladesh

mas cambios

England in Bangladesh

A small and quick tour as England head over to Bangladesh for a couple of tests and three one day games. Minor controversy as Strauss is rested with Cook taking over as captain.

A chance for the likes of Kieswetter, Tredwell, Shahzad and Carberry to push for a place in the side.

Bangladesh will be looking to run England all the way, using home advantage. Expect pressure to come from the spinners as they try to exploit the weaknesses that England have. Also note that Ashraful has finally been dropped after a very poor run of form that has been going on for ages!

Fixtures

Tue Feb 23
Bangladesh Cricket Board XI v England XI
England XI won by 112 runs
Report / Scorecard

Thu Feb 25
Bangladesh Cricket Board XI v England XI
England XI won by 7 wickets (with 70 balls remaining)
Report / Scorecard

Sun Feb 28
1st ODI - Bangladesh v England
England won by 6 wickets (with 24 balls remaining)
Report / Scorecard

Tue Mar 2
2nd ODI - Bangladesh v England
England won by 2 wickets (with 7 balls remaining)
Report / Scorecard

Fri Mar 5
3rd ODI - Bangladesh v England
England won by 45 runs
Report / Scorecard

England win series 3-0

Sun Mar 7 - Tue Mar 9
Bangladesh A v England XI
Match Drawn
Report / Scorecard

Fri Mar 12 - Tue Mar 16
1st Test - Bangladesh v England

Sat Mar 20 - Wed Mar 24
2nd Test - Bangladesh v England

Squads

England

One Day Squad
Alastair Cook (c)
Paul Collingwood (vc)
Tim Bresnan
Stuart Broad
Joe Denly
Craig Kieswetter (wk)
Eoin Morgan
Kevin Pietersen
Liam Plunkett
Matt Prior (wk)
Ajmal Shahzad
Ryan Sidebottom
Graeme Swann
James Tredwell
Jonathan Trott
Luke Wright

Test Sqaud

Alastair Cook (c)
Ian Bell
Stuart Broad
Michael Carberry
Paul Collingwood
Steve Davies (wk)
Graham Onions
Kevin Pietersen
Liam Plunkett
Matt Prior (wk)
Ajmal Shahzad
Ryan Sidebottom
Graeme Swann
James Tredwell
Jonathan Trott
Luke Wright

Bangladesh

One Day Sqaud
Shakib Al Hasan (c)
Mushfiqur Rahim
Abdur Razzak
Aftab Ahmed
Imrul Kayes
Junaid Siddique
Mahmudullah
Mashrafe Mortaza
Naeem Islam
Rubel Hossain
Shafiul Islam
Suhrawadi Shuvo
Tamim Iqbal

Re: England in Bangladesh

Hopefully Bangladesh can give England a bit of a run for their money here.

KP continues his horror form slump.

Interested in this SA opener, Kiewsetter (sp), is he really going to push for Prior's place when Strauss returns to the ODI team?

I think Bangladesh's best chance is in the test matchs, especially if they win the toss and bat first.

I'm tipping Swann to be the leading wicket taker in both the ODI matchs and the test matchs.

As for Kieswetter, yes he played U19 cricket for SA but he has a Scottish mother and is for intents and purposes English. He served a qualification period therefore is eligible. The fault lies not with the player nor the team but the rules surrounding qualification. Let us not forget that all national teams have played hard and fast with this over the years - indeed Ryan Harris holds a UK passport and could have gone either way until he signed on as a 'local'.

As for the tour, whilst I don't think Bangladesh will be a pushover I expect England to win. The Banglas are getting better but again lack depth. Iqbal, Shakib and Mahmudullah are quality players but you more than three test class cricketers to be competitive, at least over 5 days. Spin could be the undoing of England but they play it better currently than they have done in recent years.

Bangladesh's chances V England

I agree with what you said about Bangladesh, however the reason I give them more of a chance in the test arena is I think they have the batting to post a score against that Englad bowling attack, especially if Bangladesh bat first and get to exert some scoreboard pressure.

Swann is the strike bowler for England and Bangladesh need to play him well otherwise Swann will probably get a bagful. Bangladesh showed that they can play good test cricket in patches against India, so I think they do have a chance.

English Qualification

I'm not blaming the player at all: everyone has to do make a living. I'm not blaming the selectors either, you have to pick the best players to ensure the team wins, otherwise the selectors will be out of a job.

But I disagree fundamentally with these qualification rules. I don't regard Kieswetter as English, the same as I don't regard KP and Trott as English. These guys moved to England late in their teenage life, unlike people like Strauss and Prior who moved to England when they were extremely young. They are simply playing for England because of the loophole in the qualification rules.

For the record, I regard Strauss and Prior as English.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people in Australia that have one parent that was born in the UK. Indeed most of these people are siblings of the '10 pound pom' who immigrated to Australia in the 50s and 60s.

Does having one parent born in the UK really mean a player should be able to play for England as long as they fulfil other criteria?

I don't think it should.

It is quite possible that in the near future England will be playing 3 players in the same team who by rights could well be playing for South Africa. The question remains: how do the English fans view that?

Had a look at England toss ratio in the last few ODI's.

In the last 17 matchs, or thereabouts, they have won 13 of the coin tosses @ 76%.

Not bad, that would just about have to be a record wouldn't it?

Anyone know why Cook keeps having a bowl? I would have thought it would be best to bat first on the turners?

I presume it is something to do with the dew at night?

The 2nd ODI looks like it will be a great match, England at one stage looked a bit shaky at 90 odd for 3 but then recovered to make it a ran a ball off 50 balls with a power play in hand.

Now they are 8 down.

Dare I say it, go Bangladesh.

England won with seven balls to spare, Morgan scored 110 not out to guide England home.

Pietersen is in some terrible form, hasn't made a run for months. How long until his spot comes under scrutiny?

I don't think it is has reached that stage, England may fear that if they dropped him then KP could well throw a dummy spit. Anyway, the ECB treated KP poorly during coach+KP gate at the start of 2009, so I doubt they would drop him, not at this stage.

KP may simply not be the 'great' player many thought he would become, who knows.

England probably don't regard him as the 'go to' player anymore. Hell, they won the Ashes largely without KP and his batting.

We'll put KP down to form at the moment, he still hasn't played a great deal of cricket since coming back from injury. However, he has played enough to get some degree of match fit so something else is going on.

Probably relates to the captaincy debacle - his ego has beaten him. Also, marriage may have dulled his ruthlessness, something which may become even more apparent once his child is born in a couple of months.

Warm up game finishes in a draw. Trott and Finn have possibly secured places for the 1st test, Carberry has probably blown it. KP will play depsite poor form and continuing struggles against left arm spin.

England all over Bangladesh after day one of the first test. England closed the day at 3/374, Alistair Cook made 158 not out in his first game as captain. Kevin Pietersen returned to form but was then bowled for 99 by Abdur Razzak. Carberry scoed 30 on debut, Trott made 39 and Collingwood is undefeated on 32.

Super day for England, Bangladesh looked flat all day and are well behind the eight-ball here. They might yet spend most of day two in the field as Cook didn't look all that troubled against the Tigers' pedestrian attack.

Bangladesh putting up a much better performance in the 2nd test. By all accounts, some competent umpiring would have left Bangladesh in a position to push for there first test win.

Looks like England will leave Bangladesh with their perfect record in tact, STILL the ONLY nation to never lose to Bangladesh :D

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;394776 said:
Bangladesh putting up a much better performance in the 2nd test. By all accounts, some competent umpiring would have left Bangladesh in a position to push for there first test win.
They've won a few Tests previously.

Still have a feeling this will end in a draw, not sure why as England are in the driving seat at the moment.

Hopefully Bangladesh have started to turn the corner in terms of being competitive, at least during home series. They have 3 or 4 decent players who would be welcomed into most other teams so the building blocks are there.

England record a quite easy 9 wicket win in the end, for once KP did what was expected of him after the 3rd umpire helped England out by apparently incorrectly giving Trott out run out

So the undefeated run continues, no other nation in the world, not even the might of Australia can claim to have never lost to Bangladesh but England can :)

Back