England in South Africa

Re: England in South Africa

England getting into a good position here, it will be interesting to see the position Strauss takes if England get into a position to declare.

South A

England are getting into a good position, will be interesting to see what direction Strauss goes if England get into a position to declare. Im not sure what the weather is doing on day 4 and 5 but there is a fair chance the last session of each day will be curtailed due to poor light.

I'd get 150 in front and then declare, you'd want to be bowling half an hour before lunch or after lunch on day 4. No later.

The reasoning behind this is if South Africa are batting last on day 5 trying to hold out for the draw, then they are going to be wasting time waiting for the poor light to roll in and then the game will be called off. If England are batting at that time then they can refuse the light and go for the win, giving them more overs to play with in order to get a further 10 wickets. Getting 150 in front will probably mean South Africa get into the positive with regards to runs when they bat again, so England may have to chase a small target to win the game, which in itself, is a risk for a naturally conservative English cricket team.

It will be very interesting considering Strauss' declarations in the Windies earlier this year, naturally most people will want to get as many runs in front as possible, but it gets to a stage when runs don't matter - for mine there is no difference between being 150 in front and 250 in front when you consider this match and the different variables at work.

South Africa will be batting time, runs are irrelevant.

Time is the factor here.

South Africa is on the back foot and the bowling looked ordinary. Ntini has lost pace and did not bother the English in any way. Smith made some funny changes ..ie. I would have had Morkel bowling at Bell for a few more overs.. Cook looks like Gooch's addition to the coaching line up proving to show results. Collingwood should have scored a hundred but between him and Bell made the day a tough one for the South Africans.

I suspect that Strauss will be batting the South Africans out of the game (ie. 200 plus lead) and then will put the Proteas under the gun on the last day.. keep in mind that there is a 2 day turn around to the Cape Town test .. so the English will have to look at the overs the bowlers will be subject to .. the draw must be result most likely..

Good day for England, putting SA on the back foot. LtD makes a good point about the lead but I really do think that Strauss will be looking for 200+ before declaring. I can see England batting on for two sessions (providing they retain wickets) as I get the feeling that they want to make the game safe before even thinking about a win.

The backup is definately worth considering, you dont want to be bowling for nearly 2 full days with a short turnaround to the next test

Good work by England, they've been pretty good in this test. It's a shame that the weather is going to maybe cost us a result as it would have been interesting to see what could have happened with five full days of play.

You'd think that the games would start an hour earlier if bad light starts to set in later in the day's play.

But yesterday in fine conditions they got a full days play in, you cant always plan ahead for overcast conditions

Although I do recall last time we toured they called it off with 2 wickets needed by England on a mostly fine day but just a bit of cloud around

I agree somewhat eddie, but you need to think on your feet, see what the conditions are like today before you consider declaring, if it looks like it will be clear and sunny all day then fine, but if its a bit cloudy you may need to declare early.

I guess if you get to a situation late on day 5 with fading light England would rather be batting then trying to bowl SA out, because you can bet your bottom dollar that SA will be using every trick in the book to draw out time waiting for the light to close in.

Batting ameliorates that possibility.

I tell you who has really impressed me, and that is Graeme Swann, he bowls a 'heavy ball' and I honestly think his arguably at the moment England's most potent bowler.

It will be interesting to see how he goes once England bowl again, I don't think he took many wickets last time in the 4th innings in the first test but he will be a cornerstone in proceedings.

mas cambios;382384 said:
Good day for England, putting SA on the back foot. LtD makes a good point about the lead but I really do think that Strauss will be looking for 200+ before declaring. I can see England batting on for two sessions (providing they retain wickets) as I get the feeling that they want to make the game safe before even thinking about a win.

I think the game is already safe for England. SA are 40 behind, you'd imagine, even in the worst scenario, that England will be at least 80 - 100 in front if they are bowled out early on day 4.

If England were knocked over by lunch that will mean SA will have to bat for at least a session to get rid of a 100 run lead so that takes it to tea. If SA were to declare and have a dart at the English late on day 5 then they are not going to declare until they get 250 - 300 in front, by that time it will be nearly stumps on day 5.

No doubt weather plays a part, but if it is fine then they may want to limit the time the bowlers could spend out there as if it doesnt have many demons then bowling out South Africa may be difficult and the next test has to be given some consideration

But I have always liked leads around 150-200, it really puts the opposition under pressure as even after a great partnership you may not have even wiped out the defecit

I think the next test should not even be considered with regards to this game, England have a fantastic chance here to go 1-0 up in the series, people are saying that it's going to be a draw but I give England a fair chance at winning this game.

Graeme Swann could easily roll the Saffas in the second dig.

Now am I imagining things or was there a poster on here who said England would get smashed because their bowlers cant take wickets outside of England and the pitches in South Africa wont suit them at all? Surely I was dreaming... :D

Dug this up:

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;363830 said:
Looks like a pissweak Liam Gallagher tryhard to me.

To be honest, I have never seen a team benefit from as much luck as England in that ashes series.

We were unlucky, lets be honest.

James Anderson and Stuart Broad are some of the biggest pie-throwers in world cricket. The former is only dangerous when the sky is laden with cloud and he has the duke ball in his hand, even then his a 50/50 bet. We were unlucky in the sense that Jimmy bowled a decent spell at Lords late in the day when all conditions were in his favour.

Wasn't seen before or after that moment. Absolute pie-thrower of the highest order outside England. Expecting him to average 50+ with the ball when he goes to South Africa. Im not even sure he'll tour Australia next year.

As for Broad, he also had a 5 over spell of pure arse. Once again, after the rain had juiced up the wicket.

These guys are absolute hacks, outside of England they will be punished.

These spuds will get hammered in South Africa.

Next year when the ashes is on again anyone batting after Ponting will be lucky to get a hit if Broad and Anderson are opening the bowling.

Fair dinkum, the great history of the ashes has been tainted now that a england team full of spuds has somehow won the ashes. More arse than class if you ask me.

Now wash your hair, get a hair cut, and go away.

The gap between Australia, England, South Africa and India would appear closer than we thought.

Smith gone as well, 50-6. This is going to need a rear guard action of epic porportions by Boucher, Morkel and co.

swghayward79;382514 said:
I hear that he speaks highly of you as well.
I can live with that. Mutual loathing is a good thing sometimes.
However, if his sister speaks poorly of me I will be deeply upset.;)

Back