Extratec covered bats & oiling

chris308

Extratec covered bats & oiling

I've just purchased a brand new Kookaburra Sword which was old stock, believed to be 2004/05 model, natural finish. I've had Extratec covering added but was wondering if I should also give it a light oiling of the toe (no toe guard fitted) the edges & possibly the back. I've been thinking of doing this because it's just been sitting around for so long unused. Is this advisable or should I just add a toe guard and leave it??

Re: Extratec covered bats & oiling

I would seal the toe with some 'shoe-goo'. It comes in a tube and it is used to fix shoes when the sole comes off. However, it is great to use on the toe of the bat to protect it from mositure and wear and tear. It sets hard after 24 hours. You apply it directly to the toe of the bat.

If the bat is so old I'd suggest removing the extratec, giving the face a very light sand (to remove the sticky residue from the extratec) and then oiling the bat, as directed in the link below. When removing the extratec be careful that you don't rip the face of the bat off, especially as the extra tec is supposed to have been on for 5 years. I can't remember whether your ment to take the extratec off across the grain, or down the grain.

It might be best to take the bat to a sports store and get them to do the job.

Product Advice: Bat Information

chris308;391293 said:
I've just purchased a brand new Kookaburra Sword which was old stock, believed to be 2004/05 model, natural finish. I've had Extratec covering added but was wondering if I should also give it a light oiling of the toe (no toe guard fitted) the edges & possibly the back. I've been thinking of doing this because it's just been sitting around for so long unused. Is this advisable or should I just add a toe guard and leave it??

Toe guard is a good option but oil works just as well. Also, oil the back of the bat where wood is exposed - not loads but enough to cover it.

Thanks Lions then Daylight & Mas Cambios for the advice. I'll give it a little oil on the back & fit a toe guard. I'm not used to this extratec stuff. I still vividly remember terry armour, that white cloth covering and poly armour, the clear varnish stuff. It was either an oil bat or it was terry or poly armoured. Except for that aluminium bat that Lillee used. We had one of those at High School but that is another story altogether.:)

Back