Fawad Ahmed

Should Cricket refuse alcohol sponsorship

• Total voters

nairbe

So Ahmed has been bought into the one day team. There has been some silly talk from some quarters in regards to his wish to not where the VB logo and his fast tracking. The sad comments from Walters and Campese shed a poor light on our sporting culture.

I agree that his fast tracking to citizenship so he could play for Australia was wrong. I say this because to me, changing or stretching the rules is plain cheating. But i am happy to have him there and let him have a go, maybe the ICC should set qualifying rules for all countries.

I find the VB logo matter odd for a couple of reasons. If he does not want to wear it for personal reasons then fine, the question is more why is a beer company sponsoring a sporting team anyway?

Alcohol is a major social problem and with the alcohol fuelled stupidity of many young sports people one would think cricket would want to distance itself from the product.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/racism-row-over-australia-cricketer-2257299

As an adult that drinks way too much in some ways it couldn't hurt, TV advertisements in particular could be influential on kids, if anything they should go first. Bit undecided on this, there has also be a lot of complaints about betting advertising in the football codes recently.

As for Ahmed situation, the funny thing is that the kerfuffle over not wearing the logo would've given VB some free publicity.

Good luck to Fawad Ahmed. Hope he is successful and proves himself to be the answer to one of our deficiencies.

As for the VB logo. No problem IMO, just have the biggest drinker in the team wear two logos :)

Rod Marsh & Boonie earned the right to two logos for their support on the sponsors product on international flights.

I'm not 100% on this one.
There comes a point where people have to choose and people can make the decision not to drink still despite alcohol advertising existing.

It reminds me of the suggestion that they should ban unhealthy food from school canteens, the reality is when the child leaves school they can then buy whatever they want and may by more unhealthy food due to not previously being available to them.

I 100% support Ahmed not wearing the logo due to religious reasons, CA will just need to be careful that other players choose not to wear a sponsor they don't agree withs logo.

Great to see Ahmed Fawad performing well for Victoria. He certainly bowled well against Tasmania the other day after being taken to in his first over.

I've hardly seen him bowl, only a handful of overs. Thoughts on the guy from anyone that's had a decent look at him?

Back