Finger Spin Bowling.

Re: Finger Spin Bowling.

There are two forms of 'sliders' for an off spinner from what I have found. There is gripping the ball across the seam and pretty much releasing it out of the front of the hand like a pace bowler with a lot of wrist flick. This really skids on and is variable because the ball could land on either the seam or the sides of the ball. The second one doesn't have as bigger resulting 'slide' but is harder to pick. That is holding it in the conventional off break grip with two fingers on the seam, but move the third and fourth finger out of the road. Then instead of releasing the ball out of the top of the hand to impart top and side spin, release it from the bottom so that the ball spins on the seam, and a lot of batsman pick it wrong as a top spinner if they pick it at all, especially if the can see the seam spinning upright in the air. This is handy as they play for extra bounce, only for it to rocket under the bat. Hard to control.

Boris;383475 said:
There are two forms of 'sliders' for an off spinner from what I have found. There is gripping the ball across the seam and pretty much releasing it out of the front of the hand like a pace bowler with a lot of wrist flick. This really skids on and is variable because the ball could land on either the seam or the sides of the ball. The second one doesn't have as bigger resulting 'slide' but is harder to pick. That is holding it in the conventional off break grip with two fingers on the seam, but move the third and fourth finger out of the road. Then instead of releasing the ball out of the top of the hand to impart top and side spin, release it from the bottom so that the ball spins on the seam, and a lot of batsman pick it wrong as a top spinner if they pick it at all, especially if the can see the seam spinning upright in the air. This is handy as they play for extra bounce, only for it to rocket under the bat. Hard to control.

I can understand the first one - we even do that one, that's like a bodgers slider - but it works. The other one is a bit tricky to understand.

someblokecalleddave;383505 said:
I can understand the first one - we even do that one, that's like a bodgers slider - but it works. The other one is a bit tricky to understand.

Firstly never take any of my balls to coach yourself with :p. I invent all of my own balls as conventional off spin for me just doesn't work.

The off break is conventionally held with two fingers spread across the horizontal seam in the fingers. Then it is clicked out to spin on a diagonal with top spin included. Then if the hand is rotated around a little bit the seam can be released running straight down the pitch - your top spinner. This comes out of the 'top' of the hand.

Now from that position let the ball come out of the 'bottom' of the hand. The third and fourth fingers have to be moved out of the road otherwise you will bowl a mullygrubber to point, but I have found this way can impart a lot of revolutions on the ball and looks very similar to a normal delivery, mostly a top spinner, because with the speed the hand comes through the batsman can't tell if it is coming from the top or the bottom.

Took me about a season in the nets to master it, and as I said I make my own deliveries up.

Which is why I suggest experimentation. No two bowlers are the same so the same balls are unlikely to work for two different people.

I spend half my nets sessions just trying some random things.

Well if even you don't know what you are bowling, good luck to the batsman at the other end trying to work it out.

ok so I just got back from a little bit of training up at the nets and I have my own kind of slider... I think.

Hold the ball normally in your grip as if to bowl an off break, then hold your arm out infront of your with the palm facing down and curl your wrist so your hand is under your arm. When you get to the delivery flick or sort of push your wrist out and release, it keeps very low and i even had one where it pitched full and skipped up to about waist height very sharply this may have been from hitting the seam...

Yep, that's an effective way of bowling it. Puts a lot of rotations on the ball and the natural variation allows for the bounce off the seam. It's good when combined with a dusty pitch as well, if you ever managed to not encounter green tops when playing on local grounds.

I have to ask if batsman can pick your delivery?

well alot of them played for backspin and for it to sit up but it just slid straight through, I didn't over bowl it so they all knew it so I might have a new weapon...

You should ask any batsman that faced it if it floats at all. You generally bowl them at about the same pace but they come out quicker and float up to a length fuller than they expect and then not bounce, the exact opposite of a top spinner. I know an offie who bowls a backspinner that actually seems to rise in the air, pretty easy to pick though.

Do you have a special big turner?

not really I could never get it, when I tr and really rip the ball It just doesn't work and just makes me look like an idiot, any tips?

I have the problem that whenever I try it, it turns into a full toss.

I change my grip on the ball to almost like I have picked the ball up off the ground and use a wrist flick with no finger movement at all. It is quite difficult to land though, if you do it will probably be a half tracker on the legside...

Boris;383475 said:

Underspin?

Mousey;383745 said:
Underspin?

It's quite hard to explain this delivery of mine without pictures.

From a normal off break just let the ball slide out the front of the hand instead of over the top/side of the hand as the batsman sees it for a normal delivery. The ball should appear from just next to where the knuckles are of the third and fourth fingers.

I have a picture but I don't know how to post a picture from my own files, as in upload it to here. How can I?

you could do it via photo bucket...

anyways first game back this year bowling first change with offspin for some reason and here were my figures

2/8 of 4 overs 2 maidens 0 sundries

I reckon i did good considering i was bowlg to two openers who were taking it to our opening bowlers (they were a bit sour I got the first scalps).

Back