4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. Symonds
7. Gilchrist
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Clark
11. MacGill

i'd like to see M. Hussey opening and D. Hussey bought into the middle order but it would be hard to leave Jacques out now.

Re: First Test Team

agree with you mostly except for macgill. I wouldn't be surprised if we go in with a 4-pronged pace attack with Lee, Tait, M.Johnson and S.Clark. MacGill could then come in later in the series.

As much as I hate to admit it, i think rogers chances of opening this summer have all gone :( |@

Jolldo87;185271 said:
i reckon it will be like this:

1. Hayden
2. Jacques
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. Symonds
7. Gilchrist
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Clark
11. MacGill

i'd like to see M. Hussey opening and D. Hussey bought into the middle order but it would be hard to leave Jacques out now.
That's probably how it will go.

My preference is though:

1. Hayden
2. Jacques
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. Symonds
7. Gilchrist
8. Noffke (with Clark, performing best of the bowlers as well as making huge runs)
9. Lee
10. Clark
11. Hogg (only due to doubts about MacGill's fitness given a knee operation 3-4 weeks ago).

1. Hayden
2. Jaques
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. Symonds
7. Gilchrist
8. Lee
9. Clark
10. Tait
11. MacGill
12. Hogg

They've announced a squad of 13 for the first test. No real surprises really, Phil Jaques (there's no "C"!!!!) will be opening the batting.

Player State Age
Ricky Ponting (captain) TAS 32
Adam Gilchrist (vice-captain) WA 35
Stuart Clark NSW 32
Michael Clarke NSW 26
Matthew Hayden QLD 36
Brad Hogg WA 36
Michael Hussey WA 32
Phil Jaques NSW 28
Mitchell Johnson QLD 25
Brett Lee NSW 30
Stuart MacGill NSW 36
Andrew Symonds QLD 32
Shaun Tait SA 24

Basically, it comes down to Tait vs Johnson for the final pace spot and Hogg vs MacGill for the spinner's role.

I reckon the spinner's role is still up for grabs, Hogg impressed again last night, taking 4/37 in the one-day game against Victoria. I seriously think he is a real possibility to play.

The squad will be reduced to 12 on Wednesday and the 12th man will then be named. The 12th man will also be released for interstate duties.

http://cricket.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=40004

Johnson and Tait are both unproven... would it be feasible for the selectors to play a team like this:

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Hogg
Lee
Clark
MacGill

Thoughts??

SouthSwans;188041 said:
Johnson and Tait are both unproven... would it be feasible for the selectors to play a team like this:

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Hogg
Lee
Clark
MacGill

Thoughts??

Nah, they wouldn't do that. Not unless they're playing at a spin-friendly ground like the SCG and even that would be a stretch. They didn't do it too many times with Warne and MacGill so I doubt they'd do it now.

It'd probably be one main spinner and either Clarke or Symonds to bowl a few overs if required.

Yeah, either Hoggy or MacGill no way both, should be a very interesting selection. Never know, might even go with a 4 times pace bowler attack.

weak move by the selectors picking a squad of 13. I geuss they aren't sure about McGill whcih could mean Hogg is in with a good chance. It looks like Johnson will get in over Tait however Noffke could come in during the summer.

Well, Tait is out of the equation. Been replaced by Ben Hilfenhaus in the squad of 13 due to an injured elbow.

You would think now that Johnson is pretty much assured a spot in the eleven. Tait was Johnson's only competition and I don't think that Hilfenhaus would get a go unless there is an injury to one of the other fast bowlers.

With Australia's busy schedule this summer and next year, there is a fair chance that Hilfenhaus may make his test debut in 2008.

Hilfenhaus replaces Tait in squad of 13

My preferred XI:

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting*
Clarke
Hussey
Symonds
Gilchrist+
Hogg
Lee
Johnson
Clark

Probable XI:

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting*
Clarke
Hussey
Symonds
Gilchrist+
Lee
Johnson
Clark
MacGill

I would have bought Noffke in for Tait. He has outperformed Johnson and Hilfenhaus so far this Summer with both bat and ball. Form bowler in the country at the moment. Why not give him a go.

Back