Footwork my foot

Re: Footwork my foot

It's a very complicated subject but I think it's fair to say that most people rely on footwork, it's just the amazing talents that don't necessarily need it. I'm not saying that good batsmen with technique aren't great talents, but to be a good batsman without technique you do need a healthy dollop of talent on top.

leggeb4 said:
Coaching is very different at each level you achieve. At UKCC1 you concentrate on the 'right method' but as a coach and you progress you can develop players towards a result. Footwork, does it really matter (Sehwag, Tresco, even Freddie).
Against the seaming ball you have the traditional opener and then the 'hitters' come in, yes Sehwag/tresco get in early, but look at the stats, they haven't struggled too much have they???
We keep asking what about 'old-fashioned cricket', but lets get real, what do we want? Moderisation of the game, more runs, exciting cricket, that's why it's turned into a batsman's game and the bowlers have developed new methods of delivery and bowling techiniques (ABSAT).
How many openers are reall traditional? Smith, Gibbs, Gayle, Sehweg, Hayden, the list goes on. It seems only the English are really traditional with Cook, Vaughan, Strauss and look where they are in the stats...

So what is ABSAT ? Does it really work?

Well, footwork it is then, if you move your feet you can be GREAT!!! Come on lads, be real. I'm trying to point out, it takes more than footwork to succeed, there are many good players in club cricket that get in a good stride, but can't hit the ball.
Coaching is about analysis of everything, not individual area's. Whilst Kallis is in form at present, look back to last year.

ABSAT is about biomechanics (Here come's Swinger, no doubt), take a look at Ian Pont's Mavericks cricket for an idea. Cricket is following or catching up with it's twin Baseball and becoming more modern.

you can get more info on ABSAT at this link - Absat course. i think it looks intersting and im going to try to do it wen i have time and money

in point to the comment about swinger, i have noticed that in his own way he looks at the techincal element of fast bowling yet he is very hard on others for doing so. this is not a criticsm more an observation.

Yes, sorry no critism intended. This is an open forum after all. Thanks for doing the link. The ABSAT is great and produces great results in simple terms. People get hung-up about terminology, Biomechanics has exsisted for years in other words.

lets clarify my position on the whole biomechanics thing we all know where are:

i understand now biomechanics is another word for technique.

i agree that biomechanics is the best method for bowling FASTER- improving your action .

i still maintain biomechanics doesnt account for a lot of stuff in cricket.

Back to footwork- how do you play good spin bowling without it?

Swinger, good to hear your opinions again.

Very true, there is more to cricket than Biomechanics and 'footwork', which has been my approach to this thread.

Against spin? Sweep os 1 method and getting out to hit the ball or rocking back to cut/pull needs good footwork agreed. Tresco is one of the best players of spin in world cricket though, so the theory is again open to footwork, not being a major factor, but just one of many factors in being a great player.

swinger said:
Back to footwork- how do you play good spin bowling without it?

Part of it comes down to what you're looking to do against it. If you want to attack and score runs I'd say that footwork is going to be an asset. If you just want to block and stick a pad in the way, less so.

I am not arguing that footwork is the only important thing to succeed but it is an important aspect. You wont have much success against the swinging ball without getting near the ball with good footwork.

Back