Gayle signs with Western Australia

Malinga joins Tasmania for Twenty20

Lasith Malinga has joined Tasmania for the 2009-10 Australian domestic Twenty20 competition

More...

Re: Malinga joins Tasmania for Twenty20

Wow!:eek:
I'm bloody excited and thrilled to see Slinger Malinga in the Greens of Tasmania.
First I heard of it was reading it on here. Can't ****in wait.

Re: Malinga joins Tasmania for Twenty20

What a coup for the Big Bash, have a look at some of the players that have been signed or some that could be signed in the next few weeks,

Dwayne Bravo - Victoria (signed)
Chris Gayle - Western Australia (signed)
Lasith Malinga - Tasmania (agreed in principle)
Muttiah Muralitharan - Victoria (in talks)
Ajantha Mendis - South Australia (in talks)
Andrew Flintoff - Queensland (in talks)
Kumar Sangakkara - New South Wales (in talks)

The three Sri Lankans' availability is subject to Sri Lanka's tour of Bangladesh in January which is looking doubtful at this point. At this point, Malinga has not yet signed but agreed in principle to join the Tigers. Add to this the players that played last season,

Umar Gul - Western Australia
Younis Khan -South Australia
Sohail Tanvir - South Australia
Brendon McCullum - New South Wales

What a tournament it's going to be, I for one hope that they all sign on. I reckon it would be fantastic for the Big Bash to have such players participating as well as for the fans too. I'd love to go to the WACA to watch Chris Gayle play.

What does everyone else think?

Re: Gayle signs with Western Australia

This i dont think is a smart idea brining all these star players oversea's to our competition.
Yes it does bring more of the crowd through the gate, but what about players who are exelling at club cricket?? They cannot crack firstclass because of the imports.. I believe the max import for each team should only be one player, or could have two but work them on a rotation poilcey.
But overall nice to see big faces in the game.

petersiddle09;355219 said:
This i dont think is a smart idea brining all these star players oversea's to our competition.
Yes it does bring more of the crowd through the gate, but what about players who are exelling at club cricket?? They cannot crack firstclass because of the imports.. I believe the max import for each team should only be one player, or could have two but work them on a rotation poilcey.
But overall nice to see big faces in the game.

Let's not good too carried away, it's a fortnight-long competition of frivolous T20 games, we're still a long way off English county teams with 2 internationals and 5000 Kolpaks per side.

does the retirees coming back count as that international player?
i would rather hayden come back like i think he is for queensland then freddy flintoff.

a for effort;355222 said:
Let's not good too carried away, it's a fortnight-long competition of frivolous T20 games, we're still a long way off English county teams with 2 internationals and 5000 Kolpaks per side.

but isn't it the best format for introducing new players to state cricket? i like Gayle; i would much rather see him playing for WA rather than anybody else. at the same time i would rather know that his selection isn't cutting the development of the next Tom Moody or Brad Hogg.

how about a rule that says you have to have two players 22 or under?

bren122;355399 said:
but isn't it the best format for introducing new players to state cricket?

No, it isn't. Maybe in international cricket that might be the case because there's just no room in an established test team, but there's no reason why young players can't/shouldn't be exposed to proper cricket as early as possible in their first-class career.

i think that it would be good for the opportunity to give some 18 or 19 year old a bit of a taste of inter-state cricket- especially these kids being tempted by other sports like AFL and soccer.

Back