Geelong Cricket '08/'09(gca/bpca)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket '08/'09(gca/bpca)

Renny24;226871 said:
This concerns me on two levels:

i) it is a sad reflection on where English cricket is at present. I mean honestly, would Australia ever pick a bloke who had spent his whole life in some other country and then has one season playing Shield cricket...come on.
ii) How anyone can sell their soul to play for another country. I mean let's face it, this bloke is Australian. He's 29yo and been here for the past 23. He's obviously given up hope to play for Australia. Not unlike people in other sports who desert their country to go and represent someone else. They put representing their country far down on the list of priorities. Nothing irritates me more.

You could count the number of blokes who have done similar on many hands see; Adam Hollioake, Ben Hollioake, Geraint Jones, Martin McCague, Craig White, Allan Mullally, Andy Caddick, etc, etc.

Andrew Symonds......

Renny24;226871 said:
This concerns me on two levels:

i) it is a sad reflection on where English cricket is at present. I mean honestly, would Australia ever pick a bloke who had spent his whole life in some other country and then has one season playing Shield cricket...come on.
ii) How anyone can sell their soul to play for another country. I mean let's face it, this bloke is Australian. He's 29yo and been here for the past 23. He's obviously given up hope to play for Australia. Not unlike people in other sports who desert their country to go and represent someone else. They put representing their country far down on the list of priorities. Nothing irritates me more.

You could count the number of blokes who have done similar on many hands see; Adam Hollioake, Ben Hollioake, Geraint Jones, Martin McCague, Craig White, Allan Mullally, Andy Caddick, etc, etc.

I agree...to an extent!
The guys nearly 30, and barely getting a game for his state. He knows hell never get a game for Aus- but hes gone over to England and given it a crack and theyve come knocking...would be pretty hard to say no. Hes never going to get a game for Aus- but hes still got the opportunity to play International cricket with someone else....the emeny!!
I would find it hard to say no i reckon! :D

Smokin Joe;226958 said:
Andrew Symonds......

Symonds is the exact opposite. Born in the UK; spends his whole life in Australia and plays for Australia; Jaques the same; Brendon Julian the same. I would have no problem with a bloke being born in Australia, living in England since he was six and then playing for England?! I mean the guy is not English, he is Australian. Bet you he voted in in the last federal election; that makes you Australian.

Along the same lines, it sh*ts me to high heaven when say, the Italian soccer team comes out to play the Socceroos and 10,000 supporters from Melbourne with Italian parents go along and support Italy against their own nation of birth and residence. These supporters nine times out of ten probably have never been to Italy, Turkey, Greece, etc. I mean I am a believer in patriotism but come on.

Smokin Joe;226958 said:
Andrew Symonds......

I believe at all levels that you should play your cricket for those that taught you how to play the game. Reward those that have spend the time developing you.

Andrew Symonds started playing and training in Australia and plays his cricket there. He turned down the opportunity to play for England first.

I would expect Pattinson grew up dreaming of playing for Australia.

Renny24;226982 said:
Along the same lines, it sh*ts me to high heaven when say, the Italian soccer team comes out to play the Socceroos and 10,000 supporters from Melbourne with Italian parents go along and support Italy against their own nation of birth and residence. These supporters nine times out of ten probably have never been to Italy, Turkey, Greece, etc. I mean I am a believer in patriotism but come on.

Haha thats pretty spot on!!
It too shits me up the wall when all these people decide theyre Turkish for the night just cuz theyre last name is Ljubjovovichniste and the turks will beat the aussies at soccer...- but then the next day theyre wearing the Aussie flag down at Bondi beltin Muslims!!....or whatever it may be- u get the point:D

Second XI At Best;226996 said:
Haha thats pretty spot on!!
It too shits me up the wall when all these people decide theyre Turkish for the night just cuz theyre last name is Ljubjovovichniste and the turks will beat the aussies at soccer...- but then the next day theyre wearing the Aussie flag down at Bondi beltin Muslims!!....or whatever it may be- u get the point:D

u ticked the race box
u ticked the religon box
as far as im concerned thats a great post
:D

Babies Arm;226888 said:
a very good side, dont get me wrong but what have they done in gca???

obviously nothing since there in the BPCA, thats the whole point of it they want to play turf cricket.
the council's proposal is to make the ground the 2nd best in geelong behind kp.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;227006 said:
obviously nothing since there in the BPCA, thats the whole point of it they want to play turf cricket.

I would have thought it was a fair way behind West Oval. Especially after the recent upgrade to its surrounds.

Renny24;227024 said:
I would have thought it was a fair way behind West Oval. Especially after the recent upgrade to its surrounds.

i doubt an old condemed stand and an out dated bike track is all that flash.
and it's not the best now but will be very close once the ground is re done and the room extentions have been completed.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;227116 said:
i doubt an old condemed stand and an out dated bike track is all that flash.
and it's not the best now but will be very close once the ground is re done and the room extentions have been completed.

it could have the best surface and wicket in geelong but your 100 meters from the bloody action when your watching and theres no atmosphere there at all its like your playing in a paddock. best thing council can do is make the ground smaller.

supersaintjohnny;226872 said:
stalbans know that that they are no certainty to get into the gca, although they are a massive chance! and i will give you the tip, with the side they have there wont be any hard yards in div3.

the hard yards will be travelling out to little river, teesdale etc.. every 2nd game .what a disgrace with these teams in gca now

Second XI At Best;226959 said:
I agree...to an extent!
The guys nearly 30, and barely getting a game for his state. He knows hell never get a game for Aus- but hes gone over to England and given it a crack and theyve come knocking...would be pretty hard to say no. Hes never going to get a game for Aus- but hes still got the opportunity to play International cricket with someone else....the emeny!!
I would find it hard to say no i reckon! :D

he must be suited to english conditions.
you cant blame the bloke for what hes done. on a vic contract not sure but prob about 40 grand a year and most prob working full or part time.
in england would be getting paid twice that amount to play county cricket and now after call up to national side would be on a ecb contract worth $$$$$$
would never stand a chance to play for aus but now has a oppurtunity to play international cricket. and set himself up for life financially. why wouldnt you.
if he was a gun and was going to play for us then id be dissapointed about it but hes not so good on him.

theres a swimmer i have heard about doing the same thing. would never get a chance to swim for aus in the olympics so has gone to malta i think it is, and has qualified for there olympic team. parents are from there but he was born here and lived here his whole life.

dickiebird;227118 said:
the hard yards will be travelling out to little river, teesdale etc.. every 2nd game .what a disgrace with these teams in gca now

Where else were they supposed to go? it would be sad to see clubs with such a long history fold because they dont have a competition to play in anymore.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;227006 said:

they wanna get the grass to grow better than it is now. its all patchy. long wat to go.
i would say east belmont would be on the councils mind first.

clearing pickets;226702 said:
SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;226600 said:
yeah i mustn't of read it right, calling him a superstar? so wots ando then if he's better then marsland?
and don't forget city is only 1km up the road, if where nuffys fair chance u's r 2.

hows life going at city knowing your never going down 2 div2 regardless of performance?[/QUOTE]

hahahah shanebourne wins the point

agg has never been biased towards city while being president of the league.

seen nick jarvis running during the week looking lean. big season for him coming up. maybe country week duties

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;226875 said:
we are a bit light on at times but we have some top class bats as well in: Sean O'leary he's just all class, Shane Cutajar he has won player of the year awards in BPCA Rob Cutajar attacking left hander we have some players more than capable of making the div2 standard Rory Fitzgerald who opened at guild for years, johnny irvine is very cappable luke bennett has made the grade at div1 level with NDCC also there is Nik Mallyon Ciurak who came over from south aust for footy this year is also a good bat he represented s.a at u/17 level we also have a good depth of juniors and don't forget murray can hold the bat as good as any have a look at he's A.T batting average in div2 2 years ago well over a 100

lets hope murray is keen finish up with us then, he's happy with st albans there isn't alot of pressure thrown on him he's happy and relaxed

o'leary great keeper but did nothing with the bat at city.not the batsman hes made out to be. only a bpca batsman. bennet never made a run in the 1s at ndcc. was to busy mouthing off.
murray is your only batsman capable of making runs consistently

shark bite;227141 said:
clearing pickets;226702 said:
agg has never been biased towards city while being president of the league.

seen nick jarvis running during the week looking lean. big season for him coming up. maybe country week duties

yeah he dropped a donut and was chasing it

Babies Arm;227138 said:
they wanna get the grass to grow better than it is now. its all patchy. long wat to go.
i would say east belmont would be on the councils mind first.

Do you not read whats been said in earlier threads?
LIKE I SAID THE GROUND IS GETTING RE SURFACED AFTER THE G&DFL FINALS.
they are putting in the same grass they have at skilled stadium and lara etc.
the reason they want to make it the number 2 ground in geelong is because the size is almost identical 2 skilled stadium.
plus its fenced off and when the new rooms are built will be as good as any, extending 20m and two stories.

dickiebird;227117 said:
it could have the best surface and wicket in geelong but your 100 meters from the bloody action when your watching and theres no atmosphere there at all its like your playing in a paddock. best thing council can do is make the ground smaller.

I'm not saying it is the best wicket; just the best complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back