Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket Chat 09/10

Does anyone know where to find when all the 20/20 games are because on the mycricket site it says they're all 20th Oct.

Any games on tomorrow night?

beaublazer;372042 said:
Whats going on with Marshall? What a rabble... Bowled out for under 50 two weeks in a row....

IMO, several clubs around the GCA, BPCA, should be collapsed and or merged into other clubs to further strengthen other clubs, we are playing in one of the better cricket competitions around the country and its an embarassment to the Association when clubs 1st XI are getting bowled out for 50 & 60 on seemingly fine wickets. Marshall are one of the first that come to mind because they dont have a football club to prop them during the off season, another is Newcomb Bulls (BPCA). so instead of droppping these clubs into the GCA 3 where the competition isnt as competitive we should be looking at ways to strengthen the competition without clubs forking 10-20 thousand to pay players.

any thoughts ??

beaublazer;372042 said:
Whats going on with Marshall? What a rabble... Bowled out for under 50 two weeks in a row....

IMO, several clubs around the GCA, BPCA, should be collapsed and or merged into other clubs to further strengthen other clubs, we are playing in one of the better cricket competitions around the country and its an embarassment to the Association when clubs 1st XI are getting bowled out for 50 & 60 on seemingly fine wickets. Marshall are one of the first that come to mind because they dont have a football club to prop them during the off season, another is Newcomb Bulls (BPCA). so instead of droppping these clubs into the GCA 3 where the competition isnt as competitive we should be looking at ways to strengthen the competition without clubs forking 10-20 thousand to pay players.

any thoughts ??

All clubs go thru terribly painful era's, well most of them. they all deserve a chance to rebuild which can take years. but the only other way i see possible is a continuos relegation system like we used to have between DIV 1 and 2. this would have to apply across all associations and they would all have to agree. have to keep turf and hard wicket seperate obviously. it would be great even cricket across all divisions. we could just have GCA div 1,2,3,4. then ya have the travel problems if teams get too far apart, clubs will oppose big travel, im sure there could be a better system but would take a lot of co operation from associations and clubs. and we all know the GCA aint real flash on co operation with clubs. maybe you take turf off those who clearly arent up to it, then ya have clubs that dont wanna move coz they love being big fish in samll ponds. great in theory but hard to implement.

All clubs go thru terribly painful era's, well most of them. they all deserve a chance to rebuild which can take years. but the only other way i see possible is a continuos relegation system like we used to have between DIV 1 and 2. this would have to apply across all associations and they would all have to agree. have to keep turf and hard wicket seperate obviously. it would be great even cricket across all divisions. we could just have GCA div 1,2,3,4. then ya have the travel problems if teams get too far apart, clubs will oppose big travel, im sure there could be a better system but would take a lot of co operation from associations and clubs. and we all know the GCA aint real flash on co operation with clubs. maybe you take turf off those who clearly arent up to it, then ya have clubs that dont wanna move coz they love being big fish in samll ponds. great in theory but hard to implement.

What other clubs are under threat?
Guild seem to have got themselves out of a heap
Corio falling from Div 2 now sit bottom Div 3 but have already beaten Meredith this round

Corio falling from Div 2 now sit bottom Div 3 but have already beaten Meredith this round

waynewayne;372060 said:

i personally think the area surrounding east geelong is probably the most affected that i can think of. possibly because im amongst it myself, but with the numbers of people that live in the area available to play no longer suits how many people are required to field sides. Newcomb, Thomson, Newcomb & District, Geelong City, all have problems filling junior sides and are currently connecting junior sides to give kids a game of cricket, which is very good for these kids to enjoy there cricket. but the problem is coming that St Albans is over the coming more than likely going to swallow these clubs if help is not rendered/enforced......

going only on performance could i really comment on other clubs, which is unfair of me, so that is something that would have to be reviewed by the parent organisation. one thing i would like to see as opposed to the GCA absorbing the SLCA is to return the SLCA control to its clubs and simply reduce the amount of clubs playing in the competition as to increase numbers at neighbouring clubs. this however may dissolve the GCA 3 competion, which also causes logistics problems.

most of what im saying is far fatched at best, but its something the assocation should have knowledge of, if they are to be taken seriously.

waynewayne;372060 said:

i personally think the area surrounding east geelong is probably the most affected that i can think of. possibly because im amongst it myself, but with the numbers of people that live in the area available to play no longer suits how many people are required to field sides. Newcomb, Thomson, Newcomb & District, Geelong City, all have problems filling junior sides and are currently connecting junior sides to give kids a game of cricket, which is very good for these kids to enjoy there cricket. but the problem is coming that St Albans is over the coming more than likely going to swallow these clubs if help is not rendered/enforced......

going only on performance could i really comment on other clubs, which is unfair of me, so that is something that would have to be reviewed by the parent organisation. one thing i would like to see as opposed to the GCA absorbing the SLCA is to return the SLCA control to its clubs and simply reduce the amount of clubs playing in the competition as to increase numbers at neighbouring clubs. this however may dissolve the GCA 3 competion, which also causes logistics problems.

most of what im saying is far fatched at best, but its something the assocation should have knowledge of, if they are to be taken seriously.

marshall really struggling just dont have the players at the moment! not enough quality players to pick from...

marshall really struggling just dont have the players at the moment! not enough quality players to pick from...

daniel_son_91;372047 said:

any thoughts ??

South Barwon Cricket Club do not have a football club to prop them up either. So no merit in that statement. Marshall may have been bowled out for under 50 for two weeks but their opposition has also only just struggled to get past their total with not too impressive scores. Both games were at home and I believe their wickets may have contributed to the low scores. Marshall have plenty of numbers now for their 4 sides so I do not think they are in major trouble. Unlike India tonight !!

daniel_son_91;372047 said:

any thoughts ??

South Barwon Cricket Club do not have a football club to prop them up either. So no merit in that statement. Marshall may have been bowled out for under 50 for two weeks but their opposition has also only just struggled to get past their total with not too impressive scores. Both games were at home and I believe their wickets may have contributed to the low scores. Marshall have plenty of numbers now for their 4 sides so I do not think they are in major trouble. Unlike India tonight !!

gca should never have taken non turf clubs into div 2. thats what has annoyed a lo tof turf players and hard wicket players.

gca should never have taken non turf clubs into div 2. thats what has annoyed a lo tof turf players and hard wicket players.

daniel_son_91;372086 said:

I think juniors is a totally different problem to the seniors. You have St Joseph's having 180 kids registered for their Milo Program, they have at least 15 plus junior sides, which is very similar to Newtown. All these kids do not go through and end up playing cricket for these two clubs. I think the number of clubs we currently have is okay, there are going to be times when clubs struggle and South Barwon has done that for many years, but there is also going to be times when their is light at the end of the tunnel. Sides like Thomson should be seeing that now and in the next few years. If you can get the right people in your club that want to do the right thing for a long period of time then you can build up again.

daniel_son_91;372086 said:

I think juniors is a totally different problem to the seniors. You have St Joseph's having 180 kids registered for their Milo Program, they have at least 15 plus junior sides, which is very similar to Newtown. All these kids do not go through and end up playing cricket for these two clubs. I think the number of clubs we currently have is okay, there are going to be times when clubs struggle and South Barwon has done that for many years, but there is also going to be times when their is light at the end of the tunnel. Sides like Thomson should be seeing that now and in the next few years. If you can get the right people in your club that want to do the right thing for a long period of time then you can build up again.

There is definitely an argument to be made that there's too many clubs. Between GCA and BPCA, there's 49 clubs, most of whom have 4 or more teams. There's simply not enough quality players in geelong and surrounds to support 49 clubs. It's the same kind of diffusion of talent that makes English county cricket (20 sides), so inferior to Australian domestic cricket (6 sides). However, as it stands, GCA Division 1 is still good quality cricket and so is division 2 (most of the time!).

As for demanding that teams merge, I can't see it being a good idea or one that will happen in the near future. As long as clubs can fill all the teams they have nominated, then the association shouldn't really have any right to demand that they merge to improve the competitiveness of the competition. If teams start forfeiting games on a regular basis or consistently getting demolished on-field, then natural selection will take place and those clubs will either merge (ala Bell Park/Holy Family), or fold (Blue West). There's no reason to push clubs into mergers that may not wish to do.

There is definitely an argument to be made that there's too many clubs. Between GCA and BPCA, there's 49 clubs, most of whom have 4 or more teams. There's simply not enough quality players in geelong and surrounds to support 49 clubs. It's the same kind of diffusion of talent that makes English county cricket (20 sides), so inferior to Australian domestic cricket (6 sides). However, as it stands, GCA Division 1 is still good quality cricket and so is division 2 (most of the time!).

As for demanding that teams merge, I can't see it being a good idea or one that will happen in the near future. As long as clubs can fill all the teams they have nominated, then the association shouldn't really have any right to demand that they merge to improve the competitiveness of the competition. If teams start forfeiting games on a regular basis or consistently getting demolished on-field, then natural selection will take place and those clubs will either merge (ala Bell Park/Holy Family), or fold (Blue West). There's no reason to push clubs into mergers that may not wish to do.

a for effort;372131 said:

2500,000 people in the Geelong region. That's only about 5,100 per club. Not enough i don't think.

a for effort;372131 said:

2500,000 people in the Geelong region. That's only about 5,100 per club. Not enough i don't think.

To start a new discussion: Country Week initial squad would be due to be selected soon. Any tips, certain selections, bolters?

To start a new discussion: Country Week initial squad would be due to be selected soon. Any tips, certain selections, bolters?

beaublazer;372042 said:

Hello divi 3

Whilst our last 2 batting performances havnt been the best, frankly its been emmbarassing, we definately aren't a rabble and will not be playing 3rd division next year.

For some reason we havnt clicked yet with the bat but ask anyone from Torquay or Highton, our bowling and fielding has been as good as anyones. The side is alot stronger than last years and if anyone remembers our last 3 games last season we made some massive scores, including chasing down 250 against Highton and making 390 against St Peters. There was a few home truths exchanged between players in the rooms after saturdays performance and we're quitely confident that we can turn things around starting this saturday.

Also for those saying we're struggling for numbers... We field 4 seniors sides with blokes missing out each week and untill this wknd our 3rds and 4ths were undefeated and the 1's and 2's were middle of the table. We also field under 11's, 13's, 15's and 17's with some very talented kids coming thru the ranks. So I would think the club is in alot better posistion than most of you think.

beaublazer;372042 said:

Hello divi 3

Whilst our last 2 batting performances havnt been the best, frankly its been emmbarassing, we definately aren't a rabble and will not be playing 3rd division next year.

For some reason we havnt clicked yet with the bat but ask anyone from Torquay or Highton, our bowling and fielding has been as good as anyones. The side is alot stronger than last years and if anyone remembers our last 3 games last season we made some massive scores, including chasing down 250 against Highton and making 390 against St Peters. There was a few home truths exchanged between players in the rooms after saturdays performance and we're quitely confident that we can turn things around starting this saturday.

Also for those saying we're struggling for numbers... We field 4 seniors sides with blokes missing out each week and untill this wknd our 3rds and 4ths were undefeated and the 1's and 2's were middle of the table. We also field under 11's, 13's, 15's and 17's with some very talented kids coming thru the ranks. So I would think the club is in alot better posistion than most of you think.

i know im an ex marshall boy but mr finnigan speaks some truth here. they have plenty of players just struggling for quality 1st players at present. as for juniors they have been strong for years, they have even had a couple pf grades go undefeated for a whole season. reckon there might be a few more clubs lining up for div 3 before marshall, i hope.

i know im an ex marshall boy but mr finnigan speaks some truth here. they have plenty of players just struggling for quality 1st players at present. as for juniors they have been strong for years, they have even had a couple pf grades go undefeated for a whole season. reckon there might be a few more clubs lining up for div 3 before marshall, i hope.

crktluva;372295 said:

Bell Park being the obvious.

crktluva;372295 said:

I coached a side who played against Marshall U/15's a couple of seasons ago and there's definitely a lot of good kids coming through. Promising juniors don't make a successful club though, and it's going to be mighty tough to hang on to them if the 1sts are propping up the bottom of the ladder every season. It could be time for Marshall to throw some cash around and bring in 3-4 experienced 1sts players to help nurture the kids.

I coached a side who played against Marshall U/15's a couple of seasons ago and there's definitely a lot of good kids coming through. Promising juniors don't make a successful club though, and it's going to be mighty tough to hang on to them if the 1sts are propping up the bottom of the ladder every season. It could be time for Marshall to throw some cash around and bring in 3-4 experienced 1sts players to help nurture the kids.

cheer_cheer;372127 said:

A very good point you make about the right people in the club, but you must also have the right people in the chair at league level as well to run a succesful competition. It was proved last season that maybe the BPCA are not as well run as they think they are with the points/affiliation fees fiasco. I believe some of the submissions made by clubs to have their points reinstated were very professional and I believe left the BPCA slightly embarrassed when it was clearly shown that they did not have their house in order.
Twenty or so years ago the GSDCA (Geelong Southern District Cricket Association) was a very strong competition that was also very well run - they reached 3rd division in Melbourne Country week - and also figured very highly in the Capital Cup one day knock out comp. I'm pretty sure they beat North Geelong and Geelong West in consecutive games, when both those sides were very strong. But as time passes so does the changing of the guard, and when Torquay and Barwon Heads left GSDCA, the comp as whole was weakened both on and off the field and a gradual decline saw the amalgamation with Leigh and finally the GCA swallowing up the remainder.
GCA needs a period of stabilty where clubs are allowed to find their correct level and this can be simply done by allowing the current system time to work. Given 10 or so years the strng clubs with good structure and well run junior programs will be in Division 1 and so forth while clubs like St Albans should climb up there as well. The Corios, Marshalls and others will find a level where they can be competive and occasionally successful without needing to find the funds, the workers and the players to be a professional outfit like the St Joeys, Newtown and the likes.
Cricket is very healthy in the Geelong area and with competition from other sports and pastimes eating into everyones time these days I think we are lucky to be able to provide all players from 6 year olds to 70 year olds a chance to partake in the greatest game of all, cricket.

cheer_cheer;372127 said:

A very good point you make about the right people in the club, but you must also have the right people in the chair at league level as well to run a succesful competition. It was proved last season that maybe the BPCA are not as well run as they think they are with the points/affiliation fees fiasco. I believe some of the submissions made by clubs to have their points reinstated were very professional and I believe left the BPCA slightly embarrassed when it was clearly shown that they did not have their house in order.
Twenty or so years ago the GSDCA (Geelong Southern District Cricket Association) was a very strong competition that was also very well run - they reached 3rd division in Melbourne Country week - and also figured very highly in the Capital Cup one day knock out comp. I'm pretty sure they beat North Geelong and Geelong West in consecutive games, when both those sides were very strong. But as time passes so does the changing of the guard, and when Torquay and Barwon Heads left GSDCA, the comp as whole was weakened both on and off the field and a gradual decline saw the amalgamation with Leigh and finally the GCA swallowing up the remainder.
GCA needs a period of stabilty where clubs are allowed to find their correct level and this can be simply done by allowing the current system time to work. Given 10 or so years the strng clubs with good structure and well run junior programs will be in Division 1 and so forth while clubs like St Albans should climb up there as well. The Corios, Marshalls and others will find a level where they can be competive and occasionally successful without needing to find the funds, the workers and the players to be a professional outfit like the St Joeys, Newtown and the likes.
Cricket is very healthy in the Geelong area and with competition from other sports and pastimes eating into everyones time these days I think we are lucky to be able to provide all players from 6 year olds to 70 year olds a chance to partake in the greatest game of all, cricket.

crktluva;372295 said:

daniel_son_91;372305 said:

No club will go down or up from div 2 and 3 if Corio or St Albans don't win the club championship. No hard wicket clubs can go up to div2.

crktluva;372295 said:

daniel_son_91;372305 said:

No club will go down or up from div 2 and 3 if Corio or St Albans don't win the club championship. No hard wicket clubs can go up to div2.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;372309 said:
No club will go down or up from div 2 and 3 if Corio or St Albans don't win the club championship.

More chance of the sky falling than St. Albans not winning the club championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back