Geelong Cricket Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Geelong Cricket Chat

Babies Arm;335205 said:
Just on a different topic......

Maybe crktlvr can fill us in about the fistycuffs at marshall at 2:30 sunday morning?????:eek:

its all news to me mate, but ill do some snooping.

Maybe crktlvr can fill us in about the fistycuffs at marshall at 2:30 sunday morning?????:eek:

lets be real here boys, torquay needed 3 points for finals, they got it, murghe were happy to play safe, they got it. dont dance around the issue any more, torquay did what every other club would and prob has done to ensure their tilt at a possible flag. GCA cant prove shit and torquay knew it, end of story. AT are not in top 6 as thommy rissole said earlier and dont deserve to be there.

Babies Arm;335205 said:

its all news to me mate, but ill do some snooping.

Look here;335095 said:
Well, they would say that, wouldn't they? They would've been bowling on it.

I thought at 4.30pm they were all still at King Lloyd Reserve, watching the 2s & 3s matches.

Just disappointing I guess, to know you only need 90 runs to stitch up second spot and then arrive to find, without any prior warning, a totally unprepared deck. Everyone is being very holier-than-thou about batting on it but the fact is - it just wasn't playable and would not have been at any stage of the afternoon, despite what the Torquay blokes are telling everyone.

Funnily enough, if things had gone how they seemed after day 1 of the last round (Murghe and North Shore winning, Mano winning on 1st innings only) then Murghe and Mano would still have played in the qualifying final (2nd vs 5th).

Interesting about the perception that teams would prefer to play North Shore, seeing them as the weak link. Don't be surprised if Highton are surprised.

Interesting firstly that you boys thought you were certainties to win the game. Secondly, interesting article in the golf section in this week's Surf Coast Times regarding the weather of last week? Seems that the solitary black rain cloud was not only hovering over our deck, but also on Torquay Sands golf course. Maybe it is just the journo's excuse for a bad round? The deck was fit later on. Fact. End of.

lets be real here boys, torquay needed 3 points for finals, they got it, murghe were happy to play safe, they got it. dont dance around the issue any more, torquay did what every other club would and prob has done to ensure their tilt at a possible flag. GCA cant prove shit and torquay knew it, end of story. AT are not in top 6 as thommy rissole said earlier and dont deserve to be there.

crktluva;335356 said:

With little chance of a win do you pray for rain. Yes sure.. Do you make your pitch unplayable or prepare a dodgy to try to get points that you do not deserve... Never.
To say every club would go to any length to make sure they played finals is just crap. I do not think there are many Div1 clubs that would consider doing this.

Look here;335095 said:
Well, they would say that, wouldn't they? They would've been bowling on it.

I thought at 4.30pm they were all still at King Lloyd Reserve, watching the 2s & 3s matches.

Just disappointing I guess, to know you only need 90 runs to stitch up second spot and then arrive to find, without any prior warning, a totally unprepared deck. Everyone is being very holier-than-thou about batting on it but the fact is - it just wasn't playable and would not have been at any stage of the afternoon, despite what the Torquay blokes are telling everyone.

Funnily enough, if things had gone how they seemed after day 1 of the last round (Murghe and North Shore winning, Mano winning on 1st innings only) then Murghe and Mano would still have played in the qualifying final (2nd vs 5th).

Interesting about the perception that teams would prefer to play North Shore, seeing them as the weak link. Don't be surprised if Highton are surprised.

Interesting firstly that you boys thought you were certainties to win the game. Secondly, interesting article in the golf section in this week's Surf Coast Times regarding the weather of last week? Seems that the solitary black rain cloud was not only hovering over our deck, but also on Torquay Sands golf course. Maybe it is just the journo's excuse for a bad round? The deck was fit later on. Fact. End of.

right arm medium;335366 said:
With little chance of a win do you pray for rain. Yes sure.. Do you make your pitch unplayable or prepare a dodgy to try to get points that you do not deserve... Never.
To say every club would go to any length to make sure they played finals is just crap. I do not think there are many Div1 clubs that would consider doing this.

mate, you are wrong, its been done plenty of times and will continue to happen if clubs can get away with it. Its obvious when pitches have been altered, the GCA should have power to award points to effected clubs, but they dont because its hard to prove even though everybody knows it has happened. Clubs have done everything in their power to dry out a wicket when they need to play and win, but choose not to do as much when they prefer to take 3 points coz they are in a losing position.

crktluva;335356 said:

thommy_rissole;335139 said:
No certainty that your percentage would've been greater than Highton's so "stitching up" second spot wasn't exactly a gaurantee.

Agreed. There was very little percentage difference between Murghe and Highton going into the last round, and after day 1 it looked far more likely that Highton would have a big win over St Peter's and therefore reclaim second spot. But I'd rather be 3rd playing 4th than vice-versa just in case things don't go to plan in week 1 of the finals. Never mind.

AB1;335361 said:
Interesting firstly that you boys thought you were certainties to win the game.

No, definitely not, but if the deck was as good as the week before, I'd have been pretty confident.

right arm medium;335366 said:

mate, you are wrong, its been done plenty of times and will continue to happen if clubs can get away with it. Its obvious when pitches have been altered, the GCA should have power to award points to effected clubs, but they dont because its hard to prove even though everybody knows it has happened. Clubs have done everything in their power to dry out a wicket when they need to play and win, but choose not to do as much when they prefer to take 3 points coz they are in a losing position.

crktluva;335377 said:

I am not sure what other clubs curators are like but we seem to be on the receiving end of a curator trying to be too fair.
Most clubs have pride in their facilities and aim to host finals cricket.

I would not expect to see clubs that are hosting Div1 finals to EVER deliberately roll out a substandard wicket. That being East, South, Newtown, Grovedale.

Maybe you just want everyone to cheat like you have said that you would do, and saying others would too makes you feel better!

If you are relying on dodgying up a wicket to sneak into finals... You do not deserve to be there!

thommy_rissole;335139 said:
No certainty that your percentage would've been greater than Highton's so "stitching up" second spot wasn't exactly a gaurantee.

Agreed. There was very little percentage difference between Murghe and Highton going into the last round, and after day 1 it looked far more likely that Highton would have a big win over St Peter's and therefore reclaim second spot. But I'd rather be 3rd playing 4th than vice-versa just in case things don't go to plan in week 1 of the finals. Never mind.

AB1;335361 said:
Interesting firstly that you boys thought you were certainties to win the game.

No, definitely not, but if the deck was as good as the week before, I'd have been pretty confident.

right arm medium;335422 said:
I am not sure what other clubs curators are like but we seem to be on the receiving end of a curator trying to be too fair.

I would not expect to see clubs that are hosting Div1 finals to EVER deliberately roll out a substandard wicket. That being East, South, Newtown, Grovedale.

Maybe you just want everyone to cheat like you have said that you would do, and saying others would too makes you feel better!

If you are relying on dodgying up a wicket to sneak into finals... You do not deserve to be there!
We're did he say he would cheat?. Go and read the last ten pages of the Western Churches thread if you want to see a fight about pitches.:eek:

crktluva;335377 said:

Babies Arm;335205 said:

Hey timmy finnigan was that you.If not who was it.

right arm medium;335422 said:

We're did he say he would cheat?. Go and read the last ten pages of the Western Churches thread if you want to see a fight about pitches.:eek:

On a somewhat related the note, the forecast is for bucketloads of rain on Saturday. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding first day washouts? (ie: Reverts to a one-dayer on Sunday or simply a timed game, where the higher-ranked team inevitably tries to bat the day out for a draw)

Babies Arm;335205 said:

a for effort;335454 said:
On a somewhat related the note, the forecast is for bucketloads of rain on Saturday. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding first day washouts? (ie: Reverts to a one-dayer on Sunday or simply a timed game, where the higher-ranked team inevitably tries to bat the day out for a draw)

Good question, I've been trying to find that out myself.
From what I've gathered it becomes a 'timed game'.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;335491 said:

would the BPCA rules be the same as the GCA rules ?? I do not think they call off one of the days in the finals unless their was that much rain it would make all games unplayable. I dont think there is going to be enough rain prior to the games to call them off. If it goes ahead and you get some play and then loose time for rain then it reverts to a timed game. I remember a few years ago when we were in Division Two we played in a semi against Geelong West (omen ??) and the whole first day and an hour of the second day was washed out. We ended up getting them out for maybe less than 100 and we had about 15 overs to chase it down. We ended up loosing by a couple of runs with one of our batsmen unable to bat due to being hit in the head while he was batting earlier and away getting stiches. There was still a few balls left also. So in regards to the GCA clubs if rain does come then the first four teams on the ladder will be in the box seat. It would be a prick if it did come down to games being washed out though.

a for effort;335454 said:

gca_ipl;335549 said:
would the BPCA rules be the same as the GCA rules ?? I do not think they call off one of the days in the finals unless their was that much rain it would make all games unplayable. I dont think there is going to be enough rain prior to the games to call them off. If it goes ahead and you get some play and then loose time for rain then it reverts to a timed game. I remember a few years ago when we were in Division Two we played in a semi against Geelong West (omen ??) and the whole first day and an hour of the second day was washed out. We ended up getting them out for maybe less than 100 and we had about 15 overs to chase it down. We ended up loosing by a couple of runs with one of our batsmen unable to bat due to being hit in the head while he was batting earlier and away getting stiches. There was still a few balls left also. So in regards to the GCA clubs if rain does come then the first four teams on the ladder will be in the box seat. It would be a prick if it did come down to games being washed out though.

I think the BPCA is a little different as they don't re rank the teams in the 6 after the 1st final where I think the GCA do eg. last year we went through as the lucky loser but our ranking stayed at 3rd where lucky loser goes through as 4th in GCA (I think:confused:). The BPCA have this wrong IMO, Barwon Heads beat us in the QF last year and we played them again in the GF, if it had of rained we would of won if there was no play or it was a draw by being the higher ranked side.

Seems a bit unfair.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;335491 said:

wiseoldman;335453 said:

wasnt there but have heard it involved a vetran 3rds player and the 3rds captain over the bowling averages or something ridiculous along those lines. On the subject of torquays wicket something worse happened in melbourne this wknd. A work mate of mine plays in the west suburbs church comp and his side were playing the semi final last wknd after fininshing the season underfeated. They got rolled for just over 100 and had the other side 6-70 odd at stumps on day one. When they returned the following day they were greeted with the sight of the turf deck dug up and unplayable. Apprently every wicket in there comp that was being used for finals suffered the same fate. Apprently its all over there big cricket site but i cant find there leagues site.

gca_ipl;335549 said:

I think the BPCA is a little different as they don't re rank the teams in the 6 after the 1st final where I think the GCA do eg. last year we went through as the lucky loser but our ranking stayed at 3rd where lucky loser goes through as 4th in GCA (I think:confused:). The BPCA have this wrong IMO, Barwon Heads beat us in the QF last year and we played them again in the GF, if it had of rained we would of won if there was no play or it was a draw by being the higher ranked side.

Seems a bit unfair.

tim finnigan;335575 said:
wasnt there but have heard it involved a vetran 3rds player and the 3rds captain over the bowling averages or something ridiculous along those lines. On the subject of torquays wicket something worse happened in melbourne this wknd. A work mate of mine plays in the west suburbs church comp and his side were playing the semi final last wknd after fininshing the season underfeated. They got rolled for just over 100 and had the other side 6-70 odd at stumps on day one. When they returned the following day they were greeted with the sight of the turf deck dug up and unplayable. Apprently every wicket in there comp that was being used for finals suffered the same fate. Apprently its all over there big cricket site but i cant find there leagues site.

http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t27457/

Starts at page 139

wiseoldman;335453 said:

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;334732 said:
Apparently his name is Mark and he hangs down around the GCA HQ, He's favorite saying is "Go E-Belmon"
pure gold SBW, peeing my pants. who ever said cricket is a funny game is a walking penis. u think playing sundays is funny or fielding twice, or paying subs and not getting a bat, a bowl, fielding fine leg to fine leg and then not even get a lift back to the club after the game, yeah thats real funny. only bonus is your not smashed from a day on the gas at 6:00.

tim finnigan;335575 said:

http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t27457/

Starts at page 139

As an insider WITH the knowledge ther is no way known that that pitch was playable(yes i was there)...and to hang around until the stated " 3;30" would have been an utter waste of time as 1/2 the Torquay players were at Murghe before the bus load of Murghe players arrived, BEFORE tea at 3.15!!!!! so how can 1 say it was playable at 3.30 when they are not even there!!!!!and strange how it was the wicket on the highest part of the table with the most moisture!!!!!!oh they got into the finals thou didnt they....what a suprise.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;334732 said:
Apparently his name is Mark and he hangs down around the GCA HQ, He's favorite saying is "Go E-Belmon"
pure gold SBW, peeing my pants. who ever said cricket is a funny game is a walking penis. u think playing sundays is funny or fielding twice, or paying subs and not getting a bat, a bowl, fielding fine leg to fine leg and then not even get a lift back to the club after the game, yeah thats real funny. only bonus is your not smashed from a day on the gas at 6:00.

bigmacimhungry;336340 said:
As an insider WITH the knowledge there is no way known that that pitch was playable (yes I was there)...and to hang around until the stated "3.30" would have been an utter waste of time as 1/2 the Torquay players were at Murghe before the bus load of Murghe players arrived, BEFORE tea at 3.15!!!!! so how can 1 say it was playable at 3.30 when they are not even there!!!!!and strange how it was the wicket on the highest part of the table with the most moisture!!!!!!oh they got into the finals thou didnt they....what a surprise.

Let it go bigmac. Ancient history now, bigger issues at stake this weekend i.e. finals. Yes if roles were reversed I'm sure Murghe would have wanted to bowl and Torquay wouldn't have wanted to bat. That's the joy of turf cricket, as I suspect many of us will find out tomorrow if and when it does rain. Good luck all, especially to all those in junior grand finals 'cos I suspect they may not get resolved this weekend and there's no reserve day.

As an insider WITH the knowledge ther is no way known that that pitch was playable(yes i was there)...and to hang around until the stated " 3;30" would have been an utter waste of time as 1/2 the Torquay players were at Murghe before the bus load of Murghe players arrived, BEFORE tea at 3.15!!!!! so how can 1 say it was playable at 3.30 when they are not even there!!!!!and strange how it was the wicket on the highest part of the table with the most moisture!!!!!!oh they got into the finals thou didnt they....what a suprise.

bigmacimhungry;336340 said:
As an insider WITH the knowledge there is no way known that that pitch was playable (yes I was there)...and to hang around until the stated "3.30" would have been an utter waste of time as 1/2 the Torquay players were at Murghe before the bus load of Murghe players arrived, BEFORE tea at 3.15!!!!! so how can 1 say it was playable at 3.30 when they are not even there!!!!!and strange how it was the wicket on the highest part of the table with the most moisture!!!!!!oh they got into the finals thou didnt they....what a surprise.

Let it go bigmac. Ancient history now, bigger issues at stake this weekend i.e. finals. Yes if roles were reversed I'm sure Murghe would have wanted to bowl and Torquay wouldn't have wanted to bat. That's the joy of turf cricket, as I suspect many of us will find out tomorrow if and when it does rain. Good luck all, especially to all those in junior grand finals 'cos I suspect they may not get resolved this weekend and there's no reserve day.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;336461 said:
How can a final in GCA 1sts only have one umpire? I hope there isn't a run out to determine a game and a sides season.

you've got to be kidding!!!:eek::eek:, if thats true, they are once again a disgraceful useless joke of an organisation, both sides should demand the GCA give them two umpires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back