General Chat 12/13

I agree clubs that are ready to go at season start should be allowed to proceed with there fixtured match.

If footy finishes early at a particular ground the council are most pleased, as it allows them to top dress the ground earlier prior to cricket starting.

From my understanding footy clubs want to get two practice matches in before season starts. Preferably home games as they make more money. Hence the footy club wanting to get on in the middle of march. Footy club budgets in the Essendon Comp are allegedly approaching $400,000 per season. With that sort of pressure, All of a sudden the normal 6 month window is too short a period for there fund raising activities.

Thanks for that – we share with an amateur club so they probably aren’t under that sort of financial pressure. We were actually able to have a practise match on our ground on Prelim final weekend last year – didn’t rake in a hell of a lot of dollars though!!!
Having said that – it still doesn’t change my mind!!
Are Dingley confirmed as going?

Thanks for that – we share with an amateur club so they probably aren’t under that sort of financial pressure. We were actually able to have a practise match on our ground on Prelim final weekend last year – didn’t rake in a hell of a lot of dollars though!!!
Having said that – it still doesn’t change my mind!!
Are Dingley confirmed as going?
Re Dingley going, I haven't heard. There's a suggestion they have been in discussions officially. Certainly hope level heads prevail and they stay.

Re Dingley going, I haven't heard. There's a suggestion they have been in discussions officially. Certainly hope level heads prevail and they stay.
Dingley playing in the DDCA has been rumoured for about 15 years, I think since they set up a veterans side in that comp. I will believe that move when they actually play!!

Just for interest, in the 1958/59 season the VJCA had Senior Division, and South A/B/C. There were a total of 17 south clubs then:

Bentleigh, Black Rock, Brighton, Carnegie, East Malvern, Frankston, Glenhuntly, Hampton, Highett, McKinnon, MHSOB, Middle Park, Moorabbin, Murrumbeena, Ormond, Sandringham, Windsor

Seven of those 17 are still in the association, four moved up to VCA or VSDCA, Windsor became South Yarra, joining East Malvern, Glenhuntly and MHSOB as departures in the last five seasons. I have records of the fifth recent departure, Ajax, first playing in 62/63 (as Hakoah Ajax) - 50 years ago.

This means that only Black Rock and Sandringham left the association between 1958/59 and 2007/08. They merged in 76/77, and then dropped the Black Rock becoming Sandringham again - the last record I have of them is 92/93.

So, bu88er all departures other than promotions (and the subbies running their own 3rd/4th XI comp) between 1960 and 2007/08, but all of a sudden five clubs in five years, with more likely.

I shall leave it up to you to decide whether that suggests a problem in the association, or whether five clubs decided to leave so close together was just a coincidence....

On the side, talking about VTCA with heads in the sand, is there anychance the VTCA will change archaic rule of no sawdust allowed on damp wickets. Using grass clippings is a dangerous practice.

Great post Scorer.

Are we correct to assume that OM's are staying?

If so, that would leave the South with 16 teams outside of Senior Division? Therefore two divisions of 8 teams with everyone playing each other twice. 7 one-dayers, 7 two-dayers. Perfect!

Sad to see these south clubs leaving though. Hopefully the VTCA is taking these departing clubs issues on board.

If so, that would leave the South with 16 teams outside of Senior Division? Therefore two divisions of 8 teams with everyone playing each other twice. 7 one-dayers, 7 two-dayers. Perfect!

It makes sense – the 8 team comps with 7 each of the one and two dayers works well - provided they get the format right, as they did last season. Also have to be mindful of how it lines up with the lower grades - I would try and play all 8 team comps

Will be rather interested to see the composition though. Squeezing a 10 team comp down to 8 means you are either going to not promote the usual two, or going to relegate more than the usual two. I’ll speak for my club and say, after the season we had last year we would be very disappointed if we aren’t part of South Division in 2013/14

Bit hard for the VT to release a fixture when teams are still undecided on affiliation! OMs possibly staying/leaving, Greenvale possibly merging, it's all up in the air isn't it?
And as Sledge says, no relegation/promotion in Subbies. A computer can do their fixture for the next 10 years forward if they wanted. Subbies also have mandatory 4 x teams per club, VTCA lower grades have teams changing up until last week in September.

Bit hard for the VT to release a fixture when teams are still undecided on affiliation! OMs possibly staying/leaving, Greenvale possibly merging, it's all up in the air isn't it?
And as Sledge says, no relegation/promotion in Subbies. A computer can do their fixture for the next 10 years forward if they wanted. Subbies also have mandatory 4 x teams per club, VTCA lower grades have teams changing up until last week in September.
Agree 100%. Happy to be told on the Thursday before the 1st game where I’m supposed to be – I don’t really need to be planning my summer Saturdays in June
Far bigger things to worry about at the minute such as how the thing is going to be structured before we worry about the draw

So whose problem is that with regards to teams being undecided? I would have thought the VT should know by now. I understand clubs dont have to affiliate yet, but I would think at the very least the VT should have answers. As far as promotion/relegation goes, isnt it obvious from finals and seasons end ladder who is getting promoted and who is getting relegated?

So whose problem is that with regards to teams being undecided? I would have thought the VT should know by now. I understand clubs dont have to affiliate yet, but I would think at the very least the VT should have answers. As far as promotion/relegation goes, isnt it obvious from finals and seasons end ladder who is getting promoted and who is getting relegated?
We still have clubs unconfirmed as to their playing status in the VTCA, and therefore the structure of the South is still undecided – will it be two comps of 8 teams, or will they send the South senior teams down to make it 21 teams, which could be made into 20 or 22 pretty easily. And that is just the top end of the comp

I know we are still undecided as to whether our lower grades will play in a one or a two day comp. Teams will pull out at the last minute, others might hopefully find an extra team – which will force a redraw and frustrate everybody

And then there is the issue of whether we actually need a fixture out in June

So I can understand exactly why the VTCA haven’t got one out yet, and aren’t likely to until a lot closer to the start of the season

VMCU rules apparently state 31st of July deadline in clubs changing comps. Old Mentone are already a DDCA member so that wouldn't apply so it would be polite if they let people know.Will be an interesting VTCA AGM at the Avocados rooms.Funny its North Rat one competition split South and North you now it makes sense but to the VTCA NO lets play cross town cricket

On the side, talking about VTCA with heads in the sand, is there anychance the VTCA will change archaic rule of no sawdust allowed on damp wickets. Using grass clippings is a dangerous practice.
Where good self respecting curators are concerned, the use of sawdust on damp wickets and bowlers run_ups is like waving a red rag to a bull. Apparently it kills the grass and interferes with wicket preparation.

Back