General Chat 12/13

Have heard the same about Dingley the're outta here....but news I had was Parkdale while not particularly happy with VTCA will stick around. 'Pathetic' Sludge? what makes it so pathetic, if they see that another comp offers a better deal they have the right pursue that surely. Unless the VTCA get their shit together real soon the South is going to get very messy. Going to be an interesting VT AGM , will anybody volunteer to take on Exec positions?

What would you propose the VT do lifemember? They hold meetings with the South every year - what issues are presented that are not acted upon by the VTCA? And will your club be putting up a nomination for the Executive? We have some very strong South clubs in South Caulfield, Beauy, Bentleigh, McKinnon etc in Senior Division, not to mention Hampton and Port Melbourne with strong lower grade teams... Let's hope these clubs stand up and nominate an official to fill the VTCA committee or it will be North based again!

What would you propose the VT do lifemember? They hold meetings with the South every year - what issues are presented that are not acted upon by the VTCA? And will your club be putting up a nomination for the Executive? We have some very strong South clubs in South Caulfield, Beauy, Bentleigh, McKinnon etc in Senior Division, not to mention Hampton and Port Melbourne with strong lower grade teams... Let's hope these clubs stand up and nominate an official to fill the VTCA committee or it will be North based again!

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the issues with the south clubs?
When the north side seems to be adding more clubs every year.

The old chestnut about getting South reps on the executive. The South is small – and without knowing how it all works, we had Quinny and bomber on there, which is pretty good representation given our size. And as I have said before (and I doubt anybody read it) a lot of people don’t have time to get on another committee. But I’m sure they would be happy to chat if an executive member called them up and asked them what they reckon could be done. Or if exec members did the rounds at games and chatted to club people – I’ve only ever seen one (Quinny) at any of our games

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the issues with the south clubs?
When the north side seems to be adding more clubs every year.
The VTCA is undoubtedly a very big competition, but whatever way you look at it the South is boutique at best. (Some great clubs playing great cricket, but still boutique) And it is made smaller by having 8-10 teams play in Senior/Senior Seconds division. It currently has 5 two day comps (two of which have 8 teams), one Saturday one day and one Sunday one day comp (which has 5 South teams). Our club already have two of our teams playing in the same one day comp because there wasn’t a two day 3rd XI comp that suited the team we wanted to play two day cricket (developing kids with their dads who hadn’t really played before). We aren’t far from getting another senior team on the park, but with so many clubs going the other way – where will they play? And our Sunday team which is a big part of our club is now playing in a comp which has diminished greatly in the past 3 years – and is not far from falling over you would think.

So where does that leave our club? We enjoy playing in this comp, but we are getting to the point where we have to be realistic. If the rumours are true – and I don’t believe them until it is official (the Dingley one has been around for about 15 years!!), then it won’t have an effect on the 1s and 2s – but it will have a massive effect on the lower grades of clubs. They will be playing the same teams every 3rd week, and then they will get sick of it and start to move away from their clubs – and when you are a club with 2 teams, then you club is really on its last legs. What needs to be done? I’ve got some ideas, but some acknowledgement that there is an issue would be a start. At the President’s meeting the discussion on the South structure was one of the last items and was moved along very quickly – I think it warranted more importance than that

Things like the points issue is probably an example of why the clubs feel the way they do. It gets discussed at the presidents meeting, every indication is it will get amended – and then two months later nothing happens. There is no point having the opportunity to speak, if you aren’t listened to

Rumour is that Old Mentonians, Dingley and Parkdale all headed to the DDCA. Would be a real shame if it were true. Would also mean the VT might actually have to acknowledge a problem in the South and do something about it.
It's on twitter so it must true. DDCA secretary has confirmed parkdale are on their way to the DDCA.

It's on twitter so it must true. DDCA secretary has confirmed parkdale are on their way to the DDCA.
The fore mentioned have all met with the VTCA voiced their issues and were told that the VTCA thought they issues could not be fixed so they had no choice but leave.One further South Club is joining them.A Senior Div.Club is moving 3rds to 5ths heading to the Mercantile and two South Clubs looking for mergers or one is definitely having a year hiatus before relaunching hopefully in 2014/15.

To all concerned,
It is not officially approved by the DDCA at this stage, but yes I can verify that Parkdale has made a formal application to join the DDCA. Our members have voted and agreed that the move is in the best interests of Parkdale Cricket Club. We feel for other southern clubs that we have had great relationships with, and that are geographically challenged with limited choice, but we have sound reasons for moving, none of which are 'pathetic'. Anyone who does some quick research on the DDCA will see several reasons why we would move. In fact, I can't understand why a heap of us in the south haven't looked earlier.
We have been upfront with the VT, meeting with Russell to expressing our concerns, which the VT cannot attend to at this time. We appreciate their efforts and wish the competition all the best.
Our aim is not to harm the VT in any way, we are doing it for our own future.

Rat - many of your thoughts relate to why we are looking to go...good luck!

Best wishes to all the Southern Clubs, lets hope that Cricket Victoria do something soon! We would love to play you all again in the future in a healthy competition.

Regards,

Jimmy Seeary
President - Parkdale CC

To all concerned,
It is not officially approved by the DDCA at this stage, but yes I can verify that Parkdale has made a formal application to join the DDCA. Our members have voted and agreed that the move is in the best interests of Parkdale Cricket Club. We feel for other southern clubs that we have had great relationships with, and that are geographically challenged with limited choice, but we have sound reasons for moving, none of which are 'pathetic'. Anyone who does some quick research on the DDCA will see several reasons why we would move. In fact, I can't understand why a heap of us in the south haven't looked earlier.
We have been upfront with the VT, meeting with Russell to expressing our concerns, which the VT cannot attend to at this time. We appreciate their efforts and wish the competition all the best.
Our aim is not to harm the VT in any way, we are doing it for our own future.

Rat - many of your thoughts relate to why we are looking to go...good luck!

Best wishes to all the Southern Clubs, lets hope that Cricket Victoria do something soon! We would love to play you all again in the future in a healthy competition.

Regards,

Jimmy Seeary
President - Parkdale CC
Thanks for that Jimmy. Best of luck with the move. Always a fun game against you guys, would have been fun to do it again this year, but oh well.
Is it now time for a restructure in the VTCA? Hopefully it is at least setting off some alarm bells at VTCA House

Thanks for that Jimmy. Best of luck with the move. Always a fun game against you guys, would have been fun to do it again this year, but oh well.
Is it now time for a restructure in the VTCA? Hopefully it is at least setting off some alarm bells at VTCA House
We put that to them....no movement from VTCA until CV wave the magic wand!
Cheers mate. Good luck.
Hope we see you in the Southern Bayside Region Comp in a few years time! Maybe with more time we could have put this together ourselves....!!!???

Disappointing that we won't get a game against Parkdale any time soon, great bunch of blokes and always up for beers and a chat after the game. Best of luck.

I've spoken to a couple of blokes from Dingley who have said they are leaving the VTCA but nothing official yet??

Couldnt see the South side of the VTCA lasting past this season time to move on let the north go do there own thing i wont miss them.. Never played in the Mercantile but im sure if enough us went across the standard would be lifted and they be happy to have us!

Wow thats a huge call - there's still 25 clubs in the South, just because your club was relegated doesn't mean it's time to close the gate on the whole VTCA
Care to name the 25 clubs?
Relegation of my club isn't the issue.. Pretty happy to play south div and not have sit in the car for an hour to travel to some sh&t hole to play against 4 overpaid "superstars" and 7 footballers dressed in whites...

In 2012/13 23 Clubs are from the South in the VTCA 5 are those are in Senior Div. 10 in South Div. & 8 in South A1with 4 leaving to the DDCA & two merging 17 clubs left 5 in Senior 12 left what a sad tale....

Well North, for a start I would have more than just Pat Quinn show up to South games (as mentioned by rat). I am aware of a South club who played in a Senior Div premiership only a few seasons ago and the only person there to present the medals on behalf of the VT was Bomber - and that was because his club was hosting! Over the four days, not one (other than Bomber) VT Exec member went along to the game.

Also, I would actually listen to what the South clubs are saying, rather than treat the clubs with contempt and arrogance - which is what some of the hierachy do. Lets remember, the VT is only as strong as the clubs in the competition and they are already seeing what is starting to happen to the comp when the arrogance of some of the VT exec comes to play.

It's easy to throw the "well why dont you or someone from your club stand up and nominate for the VT exec" line up, but I can tell you why that doesn't happen. Firstly it's because no one wants to work with certain VT people; I've seen first hand how VT exec members treat other VT exec members and clubs. Why would you want to be associated with them and with that? Secondly, people are doing enough at their own club and if the last couple of weeks is any indication of what is likely to happen in the future, then its more important to make sure your own club is around when the VT isn't.

Is that 18 Clubs gone in 5 seasons ???

1.South Yarra
2.Maccabi Ajax
3.St.Bedes/St.Johns
4.North Caulfield
5.Mordialloc
6.East Malvern
7.Old Brighton
8.Springvale
9.Parkdale
10.Old Mentone
11.Dingley
12.Aspendale
13.Chelsea?
14.Highett?
15.Moorabbin Park?
16.RMIT went North
17.MHSOB
18.Brighton East Ha Ha Ha

Not to mention my bug bear all the remaining clubs 3rds & 4ths who have left for the CMCA, Mercantile, SDDCL, MCC Club Xl etc

If dingley go that leaves the Sunday comp with 3 south teams plus RMIT and Werribee so the VTCA have to do something with that grade - perhaps merging south and north into one, or at least a best fit to reduce travel
In the Saturday comps, I reckon they have to get rid of senior division. If they want to play a cross over final, fine, but at the very least bring the 5 south senior teams back to strengthen it a little bit. I would love for us to win South this year but I worry what the effect would be on our club when one of our sides is playing over an hour away every second week. Socially, the club's culture must suffer. I would also make 8 team comps and get rid of seconds divisions

And I hope somebody at VTCA House takes note of the reasons clubs give for leaving, and do something about it

Back