General Chat 12/13

In view of your mostly intelligent contributions to this forum and your stated regard for Mick Hawking, I withdraw my reference to him as a coke head. Perhaps the paper should have asked him for an explanation of what he meant by using the term, FRAGMENTED!!!
A journalist? In this country? Good luck with that!!:)

Cricket Victoria (then VCA) attempted to do a similar reconstruction of suburban competitions back in 1998 when they wanted a competition in each of the eight zones. They worked hard at selling the idea to the associations, all senior & junior teams in one competition, promotion & relegation, less travelling. The plan was rejected by the associations who weren't going to vote themselves out of existence. The VSDCA wasn't part of the restructure & were to continue as they were.
Back in 1998 the VCA in colusion with the MAV ( municipal association of victoria) as part of their plan surreptitiously tried to eliminate the lower grade turf clubs in order to free up grounds for other sports and soccer. The VCA wanted to create zones and thus have more control. The VCA was also concerned that too many Premier cricketers were leaving the comp too early to play as professionals in the various competitions.

I wouldn't be advocating anything until the various associations executives have read the fine print.

Love your passion dingo but it doesn't make sense. Cricket vic are desperate to keep turf grounds. Speak to them. If a synthetic nearby can add more games to the ground then great.
That may be the case now , certainly wasn't back in 1998.

I attended a sports summit convened by Moonee Valley Council the other day and the guest speaker was Mark McAllion the CEO of Vic Sport. You could have knocked me over when he stated " Utilise your grounds more or lose it." There is a definate move out there by Vic Sport, Vic Health and Councils to facilitate non organised recreational sport and fitness activities. The suggestion was made it was hard to justify 22 people tying up a sports ground for six hours, when other activities with greater numbers could better use the facility.

The general theme suggested that clubs needed to target groups that don't traditionally participate with the club.

They quoted stats such as participatipon rates for organised sport had held steady or fallen.
Approximately 80% want to play sport without being a member of a club. One third of people felt their access to these opportunities was only average.
Individualised sport and fitness activities are on the rise and the level of participation is on the increase.
One quarter of people with a disability want to participate in sport and fitness activities.
People from an ethnic background are more likely to participate in sport if they have friends from outside their ethnic group.

The message is, "Use it or lose it". Traditional clubs need to be more inclusive of other recreational activities.

I would think they would love him in the side as a 5 pointer, instead of some overseas hack who is 9 points
Probably love him more watching him playing tests for 15 years, but I know what you mean and agree 100%. Well done again to McKinnon for seeing the fruits of a super development program

Probably love him more watching him playing tests for 15 years, but I know what you mean and agree 100%. Well done again to McKinnon for seeing the fruits of a super development program
Yeah, and two more in the locker. Think I'll join McKinnon. Wonder If Ashton Agar will retire now with an avaerage matching the Don. Congrats to McKinnon. Cricket Victoria sit up and take notice. Which clubs develop babies into stars. Hope somebody at McKinnon can remind journalists that it was at grass roots that the lad aquired his extraordinary skills.

Yeah, and two more in the locker. Think I'll join McKinnon. Wonder If Ashton Agar will retire now with an avaerage matching the Don. Congrats to McKinnon. Cricket Victoria sit up and take notice. Which clubs develop babies into stars. Hope somebody at McKinnon can remind journalists that it was at grass roots that the lad aquired his extradinary skills.
Bloody good point. In all the hyperbole following his brilliant innings the impression given (certainly on TV) is that he started his career at Richmond.

Bloody good point. In all the hyperbole following his brilliant innings the impression given (certainly on TV) is that he started his career at Richmond.
Yep, I must admit I was angry when first reports neglected to mention McKinnon. No doubt Richmond has an excellent culture. Young Ashton Agar is not a mountaineer, archer,soccer player, bridge champion, mongolian horseman, mule skinner or even a crocodile hunter. He's a cricketer cause McKinnon encouraged him to take the right path.

Credit should really go to Rick Pullman who has ran our junior coaching program for 20 years, a great reward for all his hard work..

Yep, I must admit I was angry when first reports neglected to mention McKinnon. No doubt Richmond has an excellent culture. Young Ashton Agar is not a mountaineer, archer,soccer player, bridge champion, mongolian horseman, mule skinner or even a crocodile hunter. He's a cricketer cause McKinnon encouraged him to take the right path.
I should have added, perhaps DSTREK15 should contact those english BBC cricket commentators and enlighten them as to the lads true beginnings.

good to see Agar seems to have his head screwed on properly as well as being a talented young cricketer.

The last thing Aussie cricket needs is a kid that's looking to "increase his brand penetration into the market".

I have read with some interest the last 20 or so posts and tried to digest and understand the concerns of posters whom claim to be of the Southern VTCA competitions.
I think the first mistake some posters on this forum from clubs in the southern region fall into, is to compare "SOUTH" with "NORTH" rather than address their concerns as members of the VTCA regardless of geographical positioning.

Yes, "TRAVEL" is a legitimate concern for clubs in a lower division. However travel should not be an issue for a club that earns promotion to "SENIOR" division. The VTCA dropped the second division "A" Grade (SENIORS "A") because of clubs legitimate concerns of too much "TRAVEL", and formulated "SOUTH" and "NORTH" division which addressed the clubs preference.

The "SENIOR" division is open to any club to gain promotion regardless of geographical position. When a club applies to affiliate and is accepted by the VTCA, it affiliates on the understanding that the competition is a promotional system and as such the club would need to abide by the rules of the competition. Except for mitigating circumstances.

Clubs whose "A" Grade members complain of too much"TRAVEL", do so in my opinion for selfish reasons. Some of those selfish players actually refer to themselves as "CLUBMEN". Too many clubs suffer "A" Grade players whom claim they are there to progress the club and to enjoy their cricket, when in fact they have no interest in the clubs secular well being. Good players they maybe, but on the whole totally self interested. Country cricketers can travel for an hour or more to a game and have been doing so for decades and then some.

Bonus points allows an association to ensure a particular sports oval where cricket is played, is utilised for the entire afternoon. This requires that a requisite number of overs be bowled to ensure that sports ovals are not vacated too early. "Four DAY" "GRAND FINALS" ensure that summer sport (Cricket) fully utilises sports ovals to the end of march. Why?. Other sports eye vacant or under utilised grounds and put forward proposals to start their season earlier. A case in point was when AFL club Avondale Heights "ESSENDON COMP" tried to get the cricket section to agree to a written agreement to vacate Canning Street oval by the middle of march so the the footy club could advance it's own agenda.

Unfortunately their is a lot of hyperbole from people whom post on this forum about the issues I have written about. Some of whom I'm sure are misguided committee men that continually bleat their ideas on how the VTCA should conduct it's self. Most of those ideas are just what they are and that is "SHIT" Shitty ideas should be consigned to from whence they came. Back into the bucket of shit.

Fortunately the VTCA has an abundance of people with "BELIEFS". BELIEFS are far better than ideas.
BELIEFS will keep your club strong and carry the association forward.

By far the best and most commonsense post I have ever read on this forum. Could not agree more.

Hi all. I am just wondering if anyone has seen an agenda for the AGM which is on Monday as our club has not as yet. I am assuming there will be proposed rule changes and constitutional changes to vote on and I know our club would like the chance to review them before the meeting (as is proper practice). So has anyone seen or know of one?

Back